Wally Ellenson to transfer schools?

GopherLady

Reaction score
Per David Shama:

Gophers leading scorer Andre Hollins said he isn’t sure but thinks former teammate Wally Ellenson, who left the team last month, may eventually transfer to another school where he can play basketball. This winter Ellenson is high jumping for the Gophers track team after winning a gold medal last year in the Pan American Junior Championships.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

That likely means no track scholarship available for Wally. He'll find what needs somewhere, I'm sure.

Not surprised to hear this.

Also wouldn't be surprised if the family leaked this to try to coerce the track team into giving him a full scholarship.

tough break for the field portion of the track and field team.

Also wouldn't be surprised if the family leaked this to try to coerce the track team into giving him a full scholarship.

With 12.6 scholarships available to men's track and cross country combined (120+ athletes, and lots of All Americans) that will be tough. Especially with a large incoming freshman class. I would imagine those scholarships are spoken for.

I dunno. Seems to me if he wanted stay, they would just pay like lots of other parents. They have two other sons getting scholarships (assuming the one a Bemidji is getting one) and Wally has had two years free so paying for two years shouldn't be a big deal.

Most likely is Wally wants to play ball.

I dunno. Seems to me if he wanted stay, they would just pay like lots of other parents. They have two other sons getting scholarships (assuming the one a Bemidji is getting one) and Wally has had two years free so paying for two years shouldn't be a big deal.

Most likely is Wally wants to play ball.

Not all parents have that kind of money.

I'm not too sure if Burmidji is giving out many full scholarships.

Would probably be to a lower level as I doubt he wants to sit a year at this point in his career.

Wally wants to play ball. If I was a betting man, he will go somewhere after track. Honestly, his track skills can be taken to ANY school. He's on the national radar and will remain there no matter where he goes. The thing is, would he be willing to sit out ball for a year by going to a D1 school or would he take a step down and play D2? My thoughts are that he will go somewhere warm.

He finished tied for 8th in the high jump at the NCAA outdoor championship as a freshman. That would be brutal to have to step down to D2. Coaching and competition matters in track too. There are plenty of D1 schools with good track programs and lousy basketball programs. Thing is, he walked away from the team in the middle of the season. He will have some explaining to do before he gets offered another basketball scholarship.

He finished tied for 8th in the high jump at the NCAA outdoor championship as a freshman. That would be brutal to have to step down to D2. Coaching and competition matters in track too. There are plenty of D1 schools with good track programs and lousy basketball programs. Thing is, he walked away from the team in the middle of the season. He will have some explaining to do before he gets offered another basketball scholarship.
I don't think there's much to explain - its not like he was remotely key to the program. Sounds like a good idea to me. Shop around and see if theres a place thats a better fit that will support both of his ambitions.

Could the Ellensons be angling for a package deal with Henry ? Wally gets a full-ride track schollie with the understanding that he also gets a walk-on spot on the basketball team wherever Henry goes ?

Could the Ellensons be angling for a package deal with Henry ? Wally gets a full-ride track schollie with the understanding that he also gets a walk-on spot on the basketball team wherever Henry goes ?

Sounds like something they'd do.

Henry will be going to a Division 1 school, no doubt. So correct me if I'm wrong, but in your speculation, Wally then sits out a year because of the transfer. If that's the case, I doubt it.

Not all parents have that kind of money.

I'm not too sure if Burmidji is giving out many full scholarships.

not all do but i would assume the Ellensons (both parents in the education system) could afford a liberal arts education for at least one of their kids....

A source close to the Ellenson's told me that he was only offered a partial track schollie.

NCAA rules would place that scholarship on the basketball's ledger reguardless. 2 sport athletes will always be applied to football if they play football, and basketball if they play anything but football as the 2nd sport.

NCAA Guidelines said:
A counter who has not been previously counted in football shall be considered an initial counter even though the student-athlete has already received countable financial aid in another sport

Best a team could hope for is Wally and Henry both on scholarship for basketball, or each in each's own sport.

A source close to the Ellenson's told me that he was only offered a partial track schollie.

It's kind of surprising they still had that partial available, given that he quit the basketball team after the track team had already started practicing.

It's kind of surprising they still had that partial available, given that he quit the basketball team after the track team had already started practicing.

How does this work? I kind of assumed Wally would still have his spring semester basketball scholarship since he started the semester on the team. I honestly have no idea though.

How does this work? I kind of assumed Wally would still have his spring semester basketball scholarship since he started the semester on the team. I honestly have no idea though.

That's what I assumed. I would think the partial track scholly was for this fall. That's why one 'would be available'.

It seems Wally has a little "AJ" in him. My god, he's got a free ride going - tuition, room & board, etc. He quits mainly because he's not getting enough minutes??!! Instead of walking away from a great deal why didn't he do a Buggs? Practice hard - have great attitude - wait your turn. It definitely was an "AJ" without the ridiculous long explanation. Foolish.

It seems Wally has a little "AJ" in him. My god, he's got a free ride going - tuition, room & board, etc. He quits mainly because he's not getting enough minutes??!! Instead of walking away from a great deal why didn't he do a Buggs? Practice hard - have great attitude - wait your turn. It definitely was an "AJ" without the ridiculous long explanation. Foolish.

Because he isn't as talented as Buggs and he saw the writing on the wall with Malik, McNeil, Morris, and Piper/Eubanks being recruited. Pitino didn't seem to be high on him.

I have talked to quite a few people from both sides of the situation. My conclusion is that Wally wasnt asked to leave, but he sure as heck wasnt made to feel welcome to stay.

I have talked to quite a few people from both sides of the situation. My conclusion is that Wally wasnt asked to leave, but he sure as heck wasnt made to feel welcome to stay.

I too have talked to several people on both sides of the situation. My conclusion is that no one really gives a $hit either way.

Tommy, your comment is about as wishy-washy as any I have ever read on GopherHole. :banghead:

I too have talked to several people on both sides of the situation. My conclusion is that no one really gives a $hit either way.

Tommy, your comment is about as wishy-washy as any I have ever read on GopherHole. :banghead:

Not sure what is so wishy-washy. He was asked to leave without actually being asked...

Doesn't make much sense to me. The programs Henry us going to wouldn't give him a sniff...he's simply nowhere near the basketball talent his little brother is. Also, why would he want to shirttail his little brother?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom