Bjorn Broman - Class of 2015 Leads Nation With 41.0 ppg

USTHoops

Reaction score
Broman plays for Lakeview Christian Academy, a class A school in Duluth. Are we giving him any looks?

Good player scoring a ton against dreadful competition. Basketball in the northeastern quarter of the state is awful this year. Difficult to know how his game will translate to the next level because of this.

Good player scoring a ton against dreadful competition. Basketball in the northeastern quarter of the state is awful this year. Difficult to know how his game will translate to the next level because of this.
Class A basketball isn't too good anywhere, with a few exceptions.

Broman plays for Lakeview Christian Academy, a class A school in Duluth. Are we giving him any looks?

Doubt it. Older brother Anders averaged more, but we didn't offer him.

Anders Broman went to SDSU to play. He has averaged 11 minutes and just under 4 ppg as a true freshman in the summit league. He has played in 24 games starting 5.

The 41 ppg at the high school level is based more on system than any one other thing. I am sure he is a good solid player but in other places even at the Class A level he isn't scoring 41 per game.

Volume Scorer. The entire system at that school is designed for the "star" player to score as many points as possible. When Anders Broman got into the State Tournament as a senior, and had to face better competition, he was not nearly as effective. Plus, he would release early on defense to try and sneak out for fast breaks.

I would rather have a kid who scores 15ppg in a balanced system, and understands the meaning of "team ball," as opposed to "me ball."

just a question

Volume Scorer. The entire system at that school is designed for the "star" player to score as many points as possible. When Anders Broman got into the State Tournament as a senior, and had to face better competition, he was not nearly as effective. Plus, he would release early on defense to try and sneak out for fast breaks.

I would rather have a kid who scores 15ppg in a balanced system, and understands the meaning of "team ball," as opposed to "me ball."

So, for instance, Kevin Durant is a "me ball" player? Especially at class A, if you only have one kid who can score and you hope to win, then things better be set up to get that player as many shots as possible. To me, that is "team ball". Your only hope to score as a team is for the competent one shooting the overwhelming majority of shots. It is common sense. It means his teammates help him score with screens and abstaining from chucking up shots they can't make unguarded in practice. It means they know he's shooting and they are rebounding or have defensive responsibilities. You'd prefer a democracy where everybody shoots 10 times? You'll go winless. Knowing your role, sacrificing for your teammates is team ball. If it means one guy taking all the shots is the strategy.... That's a team.

You want all five guys equal? Okay it's crunch time...who is your go to guy? They all think they are because that's how you coached them. Good luck with that when the 16% 3 point shooter launches your last possession not knowing he can't shoot. Or are you going to watch four guys pout because they thought it was their turn to shoot and you can't even inbound the ball because they ain't buying into the guy you surprised them with taking the last shot?

Your strategy works if you have 5 Durants until the other team does too. Now it's tied...your team better know who the go to guy is.

[/B]

So, for instance, Kevin Durant is a "me ball" player? Especially at class A, if you only have one kid who can score and you hope to win, then things better be set up to get that player as many shots as possible. To me, that is "team ball". Your only hope to score as a team is for the competent one shooting the overwhelming majority of shots. It is common sense. It means his teammates help him score with screens and abstaining from chucking up shots they can't make unguarded in practice. It means they know he's shooting and they are rebounding or have defensive responsibilities. You'd prefer a democracy where everybody shoots 10 times? You'll go winless. Knowing your role, sacrificing for your teammates is team ball. If it means one guy taking all the shots is the strategy.... That's a team.

You want all five guys equal? Okay it's crunch time...who is your go to guy? They all think they are because that's how you coached them. Good luck with that when the 16% 3 point shooter launches your last possession not knowing he can't shoot. Or are you going to watch four guys pout because they thought it was their turn to shoot and you can't even inbound the ball because they ain't buying into the guy you surprised them with taking the last shot?

Your strategy works if you have 5 Durants until the other team does too. Now it's tied...your team better know who the go to guy is.

+1

Lakeview Christian got bounced early in the sectionals. There is more to basketball than one player. As someone else has noted, the talent pool from the Northland is greatly depleted. Many of the kids who grew up on the Range and in Duluth have moved down to the Twin Cities and their kids are now playing in the metro.

I haven't see Bjorn Broman play ball. I don't even know what grade he's in. If someone wants to keep tabs on him over his high school career and AAU summer league you can keep us informed. All I know is that his squad lost early in the sectionals and Section 7 has been really bad for the past 15 years or more.

Some of you do need to watch some good Class A basketball. No it's not like big school basketball at the Hopkins and other big schools but there is talent out there.

Some of you do need to watch some good Class A basketball. No it's not like big school basketball at the Hopkins and other big schools but there is talent out there.

...and almost all of it is in the Southwest part of the state...

played with howard pulley last season moved to the top team late in season , saw modest time off the bench for top pulley...seems like a very nice guy

He's a very good player. If he had his brother's size he would be getting a lot of looks, but he doesn't he's 5'10. Think he will be an excellent NSIC player.

...and almost all of it is in the Southwest part of the state...

The Ellsworth and Southwest Christian teams that have dominated Class A most of the last ten years would have (and have been) been competitive with many of the better AA and AAA schools.

Dawson-Boyd and MACCRAY have solid programs as well. Year in and year out they have solid teams and have produced some very talented players in the past.

Top Bottom