Q&A: Sophomore Reed Nikko Talks Recent Gophers Visit, Updates Early Recruitment

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Sophomore Reed Nikko Talks Recent Gophers Visit, Updates Early Recruitment
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/355443?referrer_id=388419

Reed Nikko, a 6-8 sophomore big man from Maple Grove (MN) High, is considered one of the state's top players from the Class of 2016. Nikko and his Maple Grove teammates play rival Osseo on Tuesday night in the Sectional Semifinal. Nikko and his teammate Brad Davison were recent guests of the Gophers for the Illinois game.

Maple Grove head coach Nick Schroeder is a big believer in his standout player.

"He finds the rim extremely well for how young he is. His shot blocking ability is off the charts. I think that he is averaging three blocks a game, which I think is among the top five in the state right now. His ability to find the rim and block shots are really beneficial to our team."

Schroeder think that Nikko needs to continue to improve himself on the offensive end.

"The biggest thing for him is the back to the basket stuff. Find a solid go-to move and then a counter off that move is what he is really working hard on this season and gotten a lot better at. I think that he has been a guy who wanted to shape a little bit and shoot the seven foot jump shot, which he is very good at. He is going to have to develop a better back to the basket game for the next level.

Gopher Hole recently caught up with Nikko to learn the latest on his recruitment and recent visit to Minnesota for the Illinois game.

Gopher Hole: You went to the Gopher game recently. What was that experience like?

Reed Nikko: It was pretty fun, It was the first game I visited for any colleges, so it was a new experience for me and it was a lot of fun. We'll see where that goes from here.

Gopher Hole: I think that right now you have offers from North Dakota and South Dakota. Is that right?

Reed Nikko: Yes.

Gopher Hole: What other schools are you hearing from. I know that it is hard since you are only a sophomore and they can't really contact you directly?

Reed Nikko: I am getting looked at a lot by UNI, Bucknell. I have gotten letters from a lot of other schools. Colorado, Northern Colorado, Lehigh, NDSU, Iowa, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech and a handful of other places.

Gopher Hole: That has to make you feel very proud to be getting that many looks as only a sophomore?

Reed Nikko: Yes. I am honored.

Gopher Hole: What things have you really been working to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Reed Nikko: Just my foot work. Just looking to be aggressive on offense and stay solid on defense.

Gopher Hole: You played for Net Gain AAU last summer. Do you know who you are playing for this summer?

Reed Nikko: Probably going to play for Net Gain Sports 17U.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the Gophers? What are they saying to you?

Reed Nikko: I just got home from an away game that night and my coach called me up and said that they wanted me and Brad (Davison) to be guests at the game. That was the most that I had heard from them.

Gopher Hole: Have you always been a basketball player?

Reed Nikko: Yes. I have been playing since I was five years old.

Gopher Hole: Do you have an family members that played basketball?

Reed Nikko: My brother plays traveling ball. He is 12. My dad played D3 ball at Bemidji, so it is in the family.

Gopher Hole: Are you playing any other sports anymore or are you strictly a basketball player?

Reed Nikko: I'm quitting football and I might do high jump this year. I did football (tight end and defensive end) this past year, but I think that was my last year.

Gopher Hole: What do you see as your strengths as a player?

Reed Nikko: Obviously, interior defense. Just being able to block shots inside. My post moves are really starting to come along now. It is a lot easier when I have a guard like Brad dishing me the ball every night, making plays I think that my strengths are obviously on the defensive end in the paint.

Great kid who suffered the loss of his father last summer. Hoopscoop has him 65th in class of 2016 .

Reed scored a career high 23 points in their first round playoff game against Cooper on Thursday. Think he had either 5 or 6 blocks as well.

Reed scored a career high 23 points in their first round playoff game against Cooper on Thursday. Think he had either 5 or 6 blocks as well.

After scouting him last night it is time for Pitino to offer Reed. Looks like a in state kid who will rebound and defend at a high major level!

After scouting him last night it is time for Pitino to offer Reed. Looks like a in state kid who will rebound and defend at a high major level!

I haven't seen him play yet so I don't have an opinion, but based on your track record I'm a little skeptical. Looking forward to seeing him play.

Top Bottom