MN state budget surplus

Status
Not open for further replies.

book

Reaction score
To grow to 2 billion in the future. Time to fund that U bb facility for the state's only major University!

To grow to 2 billion in the future. Time to fund that U bb facility for the state's only major University!

Not one cent. If they want to give it to decrease tuition, then go for it.

How 'bout a refund check to the taxpayers? There's no reason the practice facility can't be funded privately, and it doesn't need to cost $190 million.

How 'bout a refund check to the taxpayers? There's no reason the practice facility can't be funded privately, and it doesn't need to cost $190 million.

Give it all back after you cut for years. That's responsible.

Since I don't live in Minnesota, I say yeah build a practice facility! :D

So we should use private money for our public university's basketball practice facility but use public funds to build a stadium for a private business(Vikings)?

Hahahaha good point.

So we should use private money for our public university's basketball practice facility but use public funds to build a stadium for a private business(Vikings)?

Hahahaha good point.

So we should use private money for our public university's basketball practice facility but use .5 BILLION DOLLARS public funds to build a stadium for a private business(Vikings)?

FIFY

Give it all back after you cut for years. That's responsible.
PLUS:
• CNN/Money Tax Center
• N.Y. tops in taxes; Tenn. last
• City-by-city Tax Burdens
Tax dollars state by state
See where your state ranks.

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) -- Residents in which states pay the most in taxes? The figures below are from the Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation for 2002, the latest data available.
Click on column headings to re-rank
State Personal income tax Sales and excise taxes Total taxes*
Tax $ per $1000 Rank Tax $ per $1000 Rank Tax $ per $1000 Rank

Minnesota 33.37 6 36.28 26 113.14 7.... Right on do not give it back in Mn. we should always do everything possible to be number one, why settle for number 7. 7th highest taxes in America is totally irresponsible no less than number one is responsible

To be fair, that was a stadium, and TCF got public funding, you'll never see a professional team get funding for a practice facility, because doesn't serve the public. If you were going to publicly fund a practice facility, only case it would be allowable would be for the university, but I don't think you can compare a practice facility funding to a stadium funding. As for if we should have funded the vikings stadium or not, is a different story, I got my opinion, but I'm not here to debate such things.

PLUS:
• CNN/Money Tax Center
• N.Y. tops in taxes; Tenn. last
• City-by-city Tax Burdens
Tax dollars state by state
See where your state ranks.

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) -- Residents in which states pay the most in taxes? The figures below are from the Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation for 2002, the latest data available.
Click on column headings to re-rank
State Personal income tax Sales and excise taxes Total taxes*
Tax $ per $1000 Rank Tax $ per $1000 Rank Tax $ per $1000 Rank

Minnesota 33.37 6 36.28 26 113.14 7.... Right on do not give it back in Mn. we should always do everything possible to be number one, why settle for number 7. 7th highest taxes in America is totally irresponsible no less than number one is responsible

Stick to scouting or move south. Minnesota will never be the cesspool...er...utopia you want it to be.

Mods. Close this thread. It is too much trouble to deal with.

No politics and no value judgement, but what politicians wont say is:

Refunding tax surplus are generally considered to be the worst option from an economic perspective.

It's really expensive. The amount returned is somewhere around 93 cents to dollar (figure is old, likely worse now).

Refund checks tend to be wasted.

The same effect can realized other ways, such as, charging less in future, granting tax credits in current period, paying off debt, etc.

Best economic option is usually ends up being putting towards capital investment projects. For example, moving people around faster (transportation), education, research projects, industry development, or other infrastructure improvements.

No politics and no value judgement, but what politicians wont say is:

Refunding tax surplus are generally considered to be the worst option from an economic perspective.

It's really expensive. The amount returned is somewhere around 93 cents to dollar (figure is old, likely worse now).

Refund checks tend to be wasted.

The same effect can realized other ways, such as, charging less in future, granting tax credits in current period, paying off debt, etc.

Best economic option is usually ends up being putting towards capital investment projects. For example, moving people around faster (transportation), education, research projects, industry development, or other infrastructure improvements.

Nailed it. Spend it on infrastructure or save it on a rainy day fund.

we'd probably get less back than its going to cost to replace the shocks on my car, so keep it and fix the damn pot holes that are costing me an arm and leg in damage to my car

Also, this thread probably belongs in the OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom