Best year of Gopher's sports

mcal24

Reaction score
I am not old enough to have gone through many of the seasons a lot of you guys probably have, but going back to February last year, this has been the most exciting year of being a Gopher fan I can remember.

Basketball upset the #1 team, won an NCAA tourney game, fired our coach, hired a new one, and now has beaten Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio State, and Indiana this year. Every game, despite good or bad, has been fun and exciting to watch. The future of this program is looking up and you can only dream where it could go.

Football had a four game Big Ten win streak, 8 win season, upset Nebraska and stormed the field, in contention for division title with just 2 games remaining, .500 in Big Ten play, signed arguably our best recruit ever, Jerry Kill's story. Football program is also looking up and has endless potential.

Although it can still be very stressful, it is a great time to be a Gopher fan! I have so many memories from the past year. Definitely the most exciting and fun year I can remember!

What do you guys think? What's the best year you can remember of being a Gopher fan?

Not to mention hockey camped out at/near #1 all year and looking like a B1G champion.

There have been years of more success in competition, but none with more news, that's for sure.

Women's hockey lost a game this season. Kinda disappointing. :)

It's been a good year. Making it a great one would take the basketball team making an unexpected run in the tourney and the hockey team bringing home an NCAA title. Both of those things are possible but maybe not probable.

The best thing to me is that the future looks very bright.

Has to be 1989 for me. The hockey team lost the NCAA title to Harvard (Harvard!!!) in OT at the St. Paul Civic Center (a game they absolutely should have won) and the basketball team was young, talented and on the rise, getting to the Sweet 16 before losing to Duke (and in the latter half of the year they started their march to the Elite 8). Even the football team was decent, going 6-5 and finishing 5th in the B1G, including winning both the Axe and Floyd. It was fun to be in school and a Gophers fan then.

Also nice to see the gophers' Baseball and Softball teams doing really well. The Softball team is off to their best start since 03 and ranked in the top 20!

Overall it's been an incredible year for Gophers sports! Can't wait to see what the future holds!

2003 was solid. Basketball was only ok, but finished .500 in the conference and made it to the NIT semis. Football was 10-3 and an absolute heartbreaking collapse from a Rose Bowl appearance. Hockey won the 2nd of its back to back national titles.

My first reaction is, "Jesus, you're young." But I'll play.

Best basketball team in Gopher history, even if we officially finished 0-27. (I could live with second-best.) Football team beat #1 Michigan, the other Rose Bowl participant and UCLA and went to first bowl game in 15 years (at a time when there were like 13 bowl games). Baseball team went to World Series. Hockey team disappointed in the 76-77 season, but if we are going by calendar year, there were national championships the year before and after.

Best basketball team in Gopher history, even if we officially finished 0-27. (I could live with second-best.) Football team beat #1 Michigan, the other Rose Bowl participant and UCLA and went to first bowl game in 15 years (at a time when there were like 13 bowl games). Baseball team went to World Series. Hockey team disappointed in the 76-77 season, but if we are going by calendar year, there were national championships the year before and after.

Considering I was 15 years from being around, I have no memory of this. Haha. Yes I am probably very young compared to a lot of posters on here, but this has to be one of the more memorable years in a while with all that has happened.

This will get my vote

How sad is it that we are discussing a year in which the football team finished 4-4 in the Big Ten and the basketball team finished on the bubble as the best year in a long time for Gopher sports?

It will take beating Wisconsin in football and sweeping them in basketball before I even start to consider it the best year in Gopher sports ever. Plus a hockey national championship.

So no.

Top Bottom