Bubblicious Wednesday: Can 'Huskers keep it rollin' in Champaign-Urbana?

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Tuesday Results
#35 Saint Joseph's 79, #55 Dayton 53 (Hawks complete series sweep, quietly 10-3 in solid A-10)
#39 Kansas State 60, Texas Tech 56 (Wildcats on the brink of becoming a lock)
#41 Xavier 65, #63 Saint John's 53 (X-Men earn season sweep of Johnnies)
#45 GOPHERS 95, Iowa 89 (now let's bottle that and take it on the road to Ann Arbor)
Georgia 71, #50 Missouri 56 (Tigers road woes continue)
Wake Forest 72, #70 Clemson 67 (Tiger-Paws finish with 3 at home, need 'em all to remain in mix heading to ACC tourney)

Wednesday Bubblers
#47 Richmond @ George Mason, 6 p.m. -- Spiders loss would drop them out of the RPI top 50
#46 Pitt @ Boston College, 7 p.m. -- Panthers on major slide
North Carolina @ #56 NC State, 7 p.m. -- Wolfpack's resume desperately needs a quality W
#58 Tennessee @ Mississippi State, 7 p.m. -- Vols fans getting restless with Cuonzo Martin
Texas A&M @ #72 LSU, 7 p.m. -- lose here and Tigers fall off the bubble board
#43 Baylor @ Texas, 8 p.m. (ESPNU) -- surging Bears have won 4 straight
#48 Nebraska @ Illinois, 8 p.m. (BTN) -- survive & advance all Huskers are looking for
#52 Cal @ Arizona, 8 p.m. (ESPN2) -- Golden Bears would take a split of desert road trip
#53 Boise State @ Fresno State, 8 p.m. (CBSSN) -- Broncos hangin' around despite mediocre resume
Stanford @ #33 Arizona State, 10 p.m. (ESPNU) -- Sun Devils become a lock if they sweep Northern Cali schools

Tuesday Results
#35 Saint Joseph's 79, #55 Dayton 53 (Hawks complete series sweep, quietly 10-3 in solid A-10)
#39 Kansas State 60, Texas Tech 56 (Wildcats on the brink of becoming a lock)
#41 Xavier 65, #63 Saint John's 53 (X-Men earn season sweep of Johnnies)
#45 GOPHERS 95, Iowa 89 (now let's bottle that and take it on the road to Ann Arbor)
Georgia 71, #50 Missouri 56 (Tigers road woes continue)
Wake Forest 72, #70 Clemson 67 (Tiger-Paws finish with 3 at home, need 'em all to remain in mix heading to ACC tourney)

Wednesday Bubblers
#47 Richmond @ George Mason, 6 p.m. -- Spiders loss would drop them out of the RPI top 50
#46 Pitt @ Boston College, 7 p.m. -- Panthers on major slide
North Carolina @ #56 NC State, 7 p.m. -- Wolfpack's resume desperately needs a quality W
#58 Tennessee @ Mississippi State, 7 p.m. -- Vols fans getting restless with Cuonzo Martin
Texas A&M @ #72 LSU, 7 p.m. -- lose here and Tigers fall off the bubble board
#43 Baylor @ Texas, 8 p.m. (ESPNU) -- surging Bears have won 4 straight
#48 Nebraska @ Illinois, 8 p.m. (BTN) -- survive & advance all Huskers are looking for
#52 Cal @ Arizona, 8 p.m. (ESPN2) -- Golden Bears would take a split of desert road trip
#53 Boise State @ Fresno State, 8 p.m. (CBSSN) -- Broncos hangin' around despite mediocre resume
Stanford @ #33 Arizona State, 10 p.m. (ESPNU) -- Sun Devils become a lock if they sweep Northern Cali schools

Richmond I'm indifferent on. We're fighting them head-to-head for a spot.
Go Boston College. No team has dropped more in the last three weeks than Pitt has in the RPI among tournament teams.
Go UNC.
Go Mississippi State
Go Texas A&M
Go Texas
Nebraska / Illinois - No preference.
Go Arizona
Go Fresno State

Go Stanford?

Richmond I'm indifferent on. We're fighting them head-to-head for a spot.
Go Boston College. No team has dropped more in the last three weeks than Pitt has in the RPI among tournament teams.
Go UNC.
Go Mississippi State
Go Texas A&M
Go Texas
Nebraska / Illinois - No preference.
Go Arizona
Go Fresno State

Go Stanford?

Screw Stanford!

Can we trade our football win for our basketball loss against the Huskers?

IMO Nebraska can go 11-7, win their first BTT game and the gophs can go 8-10 when their first BTT game and I think both teams will get in. Both teams control their own destiny and I don't believe that the success of one hurts the other since there isn't a limit on conference bids. If both these scenarios play out I believe the big ten deserves 7 teams, the conference is a meat grinder. However Nebraska is now the hunted and Illinois at home and are capable of scoring at will. Should be interesting to see how Nebraska deals with expectations in an unfriendly environment.

IMO Nebraska can go 11-7, win their first BTT game and the gophs can go 8-10 when their first BTT game and I think both teams will get in. Both teams control their own destiny and I don't believe that the success of one hurts the other since there isn't a limit on conference bids. If both these scenarios play out I believe the big ten deserves 7 teams, the conference is a meat grinder. However Nebraska is now the hunted and Illinois at home and are capable of scoring at will. Should be interesting to see how Nebraska deals with expectations in an unfriendly environment.

On the other hand we are hoping other bubble teams lose and small conference leaders aren't upset in their tournament. Shouldn't we also consider Nebraska a challenger to one of the remaining spots?

On the other hand we are hoping other bubble teams lose and small conference leaders aren't upset in their tournament. Shouldn't we also consider Nebraska a challenger to one of the remaining spots?

you could, but do you really think they'll win the BTT? I'd be more worried if Witchita lost or if Oregon or Georgia or one of the other SEC teams that are clustered together won their tourney. I think the big ten strong enough where if both teams take care of business they're gonna get in, Minnesota will have enough solid wins and it would be hard to ignore an 11 win big ten team

Richmond getting pumped in 1st half. There goes a W vs a top 50 opponent from our resume

you could, but do you really think they'll win the BTT? I'd be more worried if Witchita lost or if Oregon or Georgia or one of the other SEC teams that are clustered together won their tourney. I think the big ten strong enough where if both teams take care of business they're gonna get in, Minnesota will have enough solid wins and it would be hard to ignore an 11 win big ten team

they don't have to. Right now they're neck and neck with us in the standings. I think station is getting at what if they get pegged one spot higher up on the bubble than us and get the last spot in.

Illinois is horrible this year. I have watched several games and the Gophers made them look like the upper echelon of the B1G. Every other game I saw they looked like the worst team in the B1G.

Illinois is horrible this year. I have watched several games and the Gophers made them look like the upper echelon of the B1G. Every other game I saw they looked like the worst team in the B1G.

Illinois is favored over Nebraska by 3 tonight. I'd be surprised if Nebraska has an easy win.

Nebraska lost. Baylor lost. The sec teams won.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Richmond's leading scorer is out of the year which has obviously been a big blow to them.

Nebraska lost. Baylor lost. The sec teams won.
Boise lost
Richmond lost
NC State lost
Cal lost (and visits ASU next)
Stanford-ASU in progress (winner prly in, loser back on the bubble)
Pitt won

Overall a very good night, it seems. Although at this point I'm pretty much cheering for Richmond to win. Too bad Cedric Lindsay's injury is likely to remove the luster from what should be considered a very impressive road win for our Goph's.

IMO Nebraska can go 11-7, win their first BTT game and the gophs can go 8-10 when their first BTT game and I think both teams will get in.

That's a given.

Trickier scenario is if Nebraska goes 10-8 and we go 8-10 ... which is very possible (I think NE beats NU, loses at IU, and gets huge win at home vs Wiscy in finale). If they win their BTT opener and we lose, at that point I think they jump over us in bubble pecking order even though our RPI may still be higher. We still might get in too, but every single team would matter at that point bc it would be really close. So I hope Nebraska finishes 9-9 and actually may have to cheer for Wiscy in that last game.

they don't have to. Right now they're neck and neck with us in the standings. I think station is getting at what if they get pegged one spot higher up on the bubble than us and get the last spot in.

Precisely.

And no I don't think Nebraska will win the BTT.:rolleyes:

I think Nebraska's tournament chances are circling the drain after tonight.

Nebraska's loss to the Illinois notwithstanding, where would this Gopher program be right now if we'd hired Tim Miles instead of Tubby Smith? Maybe a nonsensical question but one I ask in my head from time to time.

Nebraska's loss to the Illinois notwithstanding, where would this Gopher program be right now if we'd hired Tim Miles instead of Tubby Smith? Maybe a nonsensical question but one I ask in my head from time to time.

Sounds like conversation over a libation after a game. Would have been a borderline Hail Mary to hire Miles from NDSU to the Big Ten, though. Can't underestimate that. The guy can coach and has paid his dues as well. When Tubster was hired, we were in the doldrums and needed someone the casual observer would notice.

Sounds like conversation over a libation after a game. Would have been a borderline Hail Mary to hire Miles from NDSU to the Big Ten, though. Can't underestimate that. The guy can coach and has paid his dues as well. When Tubster was hired, we were in the doldrums and needed someone the casual observer would notice.

No doubt. Nevertheless, I advocated for his hire at the time. The history of this program is that we've done pretty well hiring young, up-and-coming coaches. Just because it didn't work out perfectly the one time with Monson doesn't mean you have to go away from it.

I will go out on a limb and say this. Had we hired Miles, he would have had at least one wining conference season, something Smith did not accomplish.

We'd be about 4 -5 million $ closer to a practice facility- for one. In the end I think it will work out great. Miles is a real good coach but I have a feeling the Pitino might be the right guy.

Top Bottom