Q&A: Catching Up With Former Duluth East Star Johnny Woodard Who is Playing JUCO Ball

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Catching Up With Former Duluth East Star Johnny Woodard Who is Playing JUCO Ball

By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/353230?referrer_id=388419

Johnny Woodard, a 6-4 guard/forward formerly of Duluth East, has had a strong year as a redshirt freshman at North Dakota School of Science. Woodard had received recruiting interest from Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith and his staff as a high school player.

Woodard helped lead the Greyhounds to the Class AAAA state tournament as a senior. They started the season 2-7 as Woodard missed several games with an injury, but won 18 of their next 19 games with his return to the starting lineup and the addition of center Akolda Manyang.

Unfortunately, Manyang was ruled ineligible for the state tournament and the Greyhounds lost to eventual state champion Osseo 62-51. Manyang is currently a freshman at Indian Hills (IA) CC and will likely get recruiting interest from Minnesota this summer.

Junior college freshman typically don't get major recruiting looks until after their freshman year if they are non-qualifiers. Most JUCO standouts will play in the summer events like Jerry Mullen's, where most of the top Division I coaches will attend in July.

Woodard is averaging 19.1 points, 5.2 rebounds and 1.8 assists per game. He is shooting 46% from the field, 40.1% from three-point range and 76% from the free throw line.

Gopher Hole recently caught up with Woodard to get an early look at his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: How are things up at North Dakota School of Science?

Johnny Woodard: It is going real good. We have a good team and a good group. Things are good at school.

Gopher Hole: You were at San Jacinto in Texas last year Did you even play there or were you hurt?

Johnny Woodard: I was there in the beginning for like three or four weeks or so and I transferred here, but I wasn't able to start school until second semester, so I started and redshirted last semester.

Gopher Hole: Would you be able to graduate this year or would you have to go one more year?

Johnny Woodard: One more year.

Gopher Hole: I know that it is early being technically only a freshman, but are you starting to hear from some schools yet?

Johnny Woodard: Just Iowa University right now. The Hawkeyes that is about it. That is only because they were following me at San Jac.

Gopher Hole: I have never been to Wahpeton, North Dakota (home of North Dakota School of Science), but I can't imagine there is a ton to do, which is good because it helps you focus on your game and class work. Is that the way you are looking at right now?

Johnny Woodard: Yes, exactly.

Gopher Hole: What things are you working on to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Johnny Woodard: Just being more vocal and being more of a team player. Being able to lead my team.

Gopher Hole: Has it been a little bit frustrating because you feel that you have the talent and I think you do, too to play at a Division I level? Has it been frustrating that you had to go the junior college route?

Johnny Woodard: It is pretty much because I was dumb. I just had to go where I can and make the best of it and eventually be where I need to be.

Gopher Hole: Are you going to play in some of the JC events in July to get more exposure like the Jerry Mullen event in St. Louis?

Johnny Woodard: I haven't heard about it.

Gopher Hole: Do you still keep in touch with some of your Duluth East teammates? I know that Akolda Manyang is down at Indiana Hills and they were ranked #1 in the country and Taylor Stafford had a really good year as a freshman in Arizona.

Johnny Woodard: I don't know where they are heading, but I know that Taylor is pretty much down to the point where he is going to make his commitment pretty soon.

Gopher Hole: I know that you heard from the Gophers as a high school player. Would you like to hear from them now?

Johnny Woodard: I don't see why not.

Woodward and Manyang are 2 players Pitino should not sleep on.

Love both of those guys and I think they would fit very well. As long as Pitino does his homework and doesn't view Manyang as too much of a character concern, I say bring him in. Disappointed that Woodard is a 2015 guy. Thought he was 2014.

Top Bottom