Hot news: Tuberville out at Auburn

GopherRock

GopherHole Straw Boss
Reaction score
At least that's the word making the rounds on all the boards tonight...

Big shock when I heard that. I realize Auburn had a tough year, but Tuberville had some pretty good years. If i remember correctly he had 85 wins in 10 years. Not bad when you're playing in the SEC in my opinion. His winning percentage was only slightly below his predecessors (.680) and he won the first SEC title for them since 1989. But such is the life of a football coach these days.

He also has the highest winning percentage in the Alabama-Auburn rivalry. If true, seems like a dumb move on Auburn's part.

Dumb move. Auburn had one bad year, and their defense was still pretty good.

Who are they going to hire? There just don't seem to be a lot of "hot" coaching candidates this season and there are a lot of jobs open.

Tommy Tuberville is a solid coach and will land on his feet in a BCS conference.

Washington and Syracuse might be picking up the phone.

Agree - they'll have a tough time finding someone who can match his record. It will be interesting to see if Kiffin can come anywhere near Fullmer's record, too.

Didn't he go to the spread this year? There are some similarities (if you look hard enough) between Coach Brewster and Coach Rodriguez at Michigan if that is true.
I can't believe that Auburn pulled the trigger on him that fast. Didn't Auburn have an undefeated season not so long ago?

It sounds as if Tommy Tuberville resigned on his own and was not pressured by the University.

Probably more of a Tubby Smith situation where he got tired of people ripping him for a mediocre season amongst all of his success. If he still wants to coach he could easily find a job in less of a pressure cooker.

Mississippi State might be an interesting move for him. He's already been the coach to some success at Ole Miss. He knows the territory, has the recruiting contacts, and there is a lot less pressure in Starkville.

Auburn losing recruits.

Auburn has lost some of their top recruits who are opening back up their recruiting because of the coaching change. These type of changes can really hurt a program its coming late in the year and out of no where. I cant imagine which way Auburn will look for a coach but you can bet its going to be a big name or someone with a good track record.

Who of their recruits is opening back up? Any positions we need?

I took a look at their recruiting page on Scout and only saw two guys--CB Taikwon Paige and WR Dwayne Difton--as mentioning the Gophers as possible choices. Both had been offered.

Blog about Turner Gill

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2008/12/coach-of-the-ye.html

That about sums up my thoughts about his performance at Buffalo.

I'm so surprised his name hasn't come up for more jobs than Nebraska last year, and lightly for Syracuse this year.

Turner Gill has proven himself to be a fantastic coach, as a QB coach he helped develop one of the greatest college QBs of all time, Tommie Frazier, a Heisman Trophy winner, Eric Crouch and Scott Frost, who lead Nebraska to a (disputed) National Championship.

I know a lot of Gopher fans don't like the guy for the 1983 game, but I was a year old (and living in Lincoln) so it doesn't really bother me. To do what he has done at Buffalo is unbelievable in such a short period of time.

If I was an Athletic Director he would be my #1, #2 and #3 choice for Head Coach. Auburn should be on the phone.

Oh, and he's black because people seem to care about that crap these days.

Auburn seems to be the N.C. State of college football. Herb Sendek resigned a couple years back because the alums at the school expected the Wolfpack to be on par with North Carolina and Duke. They went after some high profile guys (Calipari, Rick Barnes come to mind), but had to settle for Sidney Lowe, whose head coaching experience was strictly pro. N.C. State has become even less relevant since Sendek's resignation.

It seems Auburn is likely headed in a similar direction.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2008/12/coach-of-the-ye.html

That about sums up my thoughts about his performance at Buffalo.

I'm so surprised his name hasn't come up for more jobs than Nebraska last year, and lightly for Syracuse this year.

Turner Gill has proven himself to be a fantastic coach, as a QB coach he helped develop one of the greatest college QBs of all time, Tommie Frazier, a Heisman Trophy winner, Eric Crouch and Scott Frost, who lead Nebraska to a (disputed) National Championship.

I know a lot of Gopher fans don't like the guy for the 1983 game, but I was a year old (and living in Lincoln) so it doesn't really bother me. To do what he has done at Buffalo is unbelievable in such a short period of time.

If I was an Athletic Director he would be my #1, #2 and #3 choice for Head Coach. Auburn should be on the phone.

Oh, and he's black because people seem to care about that crap these days.

NateDawgUM, I cannot agree more. He wins and has done it by building a program that was one of the worst if not the worst in Division 1 when he took over. I grew up in Lincoln watching him and his teams and you always knew that whether he was on the field playing or coaching that he and his players would always be prepared and ready to play.

Gill was a great (and I mean great) college QB and he's proving to be an excellent coach as well. Kudos to him for what he's done at Buffalo and here's hoping he gets a chance to move up soon.

Top Bottom