Vitale: Time to change rule to allow six fouls

Agree. 5 is plenty. Dickie V's idea is advantageous for his favorite schools that bring in stars - but aren't necessarily deep because of the turnover to the pros.

5 is plenty.

Agreed. Six fouls in a 40 minute game would be too much and would make the game that much longer, more physical and likely less scoring.

The college game isn't perfect, but making changes to make it more like the NBA isn't the answer.

Go Gophers!!

If they went to 6 fouls you'd hardly ever see a player foul out. I think 5 is perfect. Although the way EE, Mo, and Mathieu get into foul trouble this rule change would help our current squad quite a bit.

5 is the right number. Overaggressive defense leads to all these fouls and uglies up the game. I'm afraid that if you just enable more aggressiveness, the game will get uglified even more.

Agreed. Six fouls in a 40 minute game would be too much and would make the game that much longer, more physical and likely less scoring.

The college game isn't perfect, but making changes to make it more like the NBA isn't the answer.

Go Gophers!!

I would say going to 6 fouls makes it LESS like the NBA (and in a bad way)

In the NBA, you can commit 1 foul every 8 minutes. Currently in NCAA, you can commit 1 foul every 8 minutes. The NCAA is already exactly like the NBA in that respect. Going to 6 fouls would be dumb dumb dumb.

In the B1G, there is too much home cooking. So I suggest that the visiting team gets 6 fouls each, and the home team get 5.

Can't stand Mr. Diarrhea of the Mouth, but I agree with him on this one. I want to see the best players play. Going to 6 fouls will help that.

I'm tired of watching an important player pick up 2 fouls in the first half and then we don't see him again until the 2nd half. Many, many examples, but case in point the Illinois game last week (Mathieu).

Can't stand Mr. Diarrhea of the Mouth, but I agree with him on this one. I want to see the best players play. Going to 6 fouls will help that.

I'm tired of watching an important player pick up 2 fouls in the first half and then we don't see him again until the 2nd half. Many, many examples, but case in point the Illinois game last week (Mathieu).

I don't have a true blue answer to the 5 fouls rule. But a thought here...(damn that felt good, finally a thought)...how about giving a 6th foul when a game goes into overtime?

I usually agree with you SS, but not on this one. I am a big fan of seeing depth rewarded in sports. I like to see teams rewarded when they have a "next man up" who can fill in well when a key player is benched with fouls, and conversely, I like to see teams that lean too hard on one player suffer when the key player is benched with fouls (obviously, I enjoy it less when it happens to my Gophs and Mathieu, but I would rather see us resolve that by recruiting another good point guard than moving to 6 fouls).

going to six fouls would justify dropping a scholly and saving some mula. It would also reduce the value of team depth and reward teams who are more agressive.

I am tired of it too. However, I wish Pitino would have just gone ahead and played Lil' Dre anyway. His fouls per 40 minutes aren't very high - something you have to take into account when a key player picks up 2 in the first half. A guy like EE you have to sit because of the high likelihood he'll be in trouble the rest of the way...you have to trust the Dres to play smart through foul trouble though IMO.

Better than 6 fouls would be NOT to count offensive fouls as a personal foul but just a T.Over

I'm glad someone else said this. I've been saying the same things for years. If college refs were actually good at making the correct calls, I'd be fine with 5. They aren't. There's no consistency, and they're absolutely awful about charges/blocks (though this year they seem a little better than last year). It seems like every game a key player has to sit the majority of the half because they pick up 2 quick fouls, one of which is often a completely bogus call. I can't stand seeing a key player on the bench for 15 minutes in the first half when he's only committed one legit foul, which is simply part of the game. If the refs were consistent in their calls, Craft (and that player from Purdue a few years back who was a great but dirty defender) would be on the bench in foul trouble all the time.

I usually agree with you SS, but not on this one. I am a big fan of seeing depth rewarded in sports. I like to see teams rewarded when they have a "next man up" who can fill in well when a key player is benched with fouls, and conversely, I like to see teams that lean too hard on one player suffer when the key player is benched with fouls (obviously, I enjoy it less when it happens to my Gophs and Mathieu, but I would rather see us resolve that by recruiting another good point guard than moving to 6 fouls).

I agree with this but I also think the problem with fouls is that refs are so inconsistent from conference to conference and game to game.

If it were up to me, I'd change games to 22 minute halves, 6 fouls per player, 8 fouls to get to the bonus, and teams getting two less timeouts per game.

A much better rule change IMHO would be reducing the number of time outs that teams have. With all the TV timeouts, the interruptions of the game have made games almost unbearable to watch in the arena.

Leave fouls at five but move the three point line back to the nba line. Make them earn that 3rd point with a more difficult shot.

A much better rule change IMHO would be reducing the number of time outs that teams have. With all the TV timeouts, the interruptions of the game have made games almost unbearable to watch in the arena.

I'd love that. 5 a side seems like way too many, especially (as you point out) with 4 built in timeouts per half anyway.

If we are on the subject of rule changes, I also wouldn't mind seeing the double-bonus abolished, and just keep non-shooting fouls one-and-one the whole way out. If you can't ice a game by draining front ends with uncontested 15 feet shots, you don't deserve the win.

You can't solve reffing problems by adding more fouls. Players will adjust to a consistently called game.

I'd love that. 5 a side seems like way too many, especially (as you point out) with 4 built in timeouts per half anyway.

If we are on the subject of rule changes, I also wouldn't mind seeing the double-bonus abolished, and just keep non-shooting fouls one-and-one the whole way out. If you can't ice a game by draining front ends with uncontested 15 feet shots, you don't deserve the win.

I second the motion. Can we have a vote?

Somebody tell Vitale that the NBA permits 20% more fouls because the game time is 20% longer. 1 foul every 8 minutes for each.

In the B1G, there is too much home cooking. So I suggest that the visiting team gets 6 fouls each, and the home team get 5.

Can we make an exception for when the Skunks and Dodo Birds come to the Barn. We should still get 6 and they only get 5. Sounds fair to me.

Somebody tell Vitale that the NBA permits 20% more fouls because the game time is 20% longer. 1 foul every 8 minutes for each.

So you are saying high schools that play 32 minute games (the ones that didn't adapt the 18 minute halves) should only get 4 fouls?

Dick Vitale has been on this argument for several years. He says the same things every year, nothing new or inspiring about his commentary. The only thing that changes is the names of the players he hypes up and fawns over - as we know his favorite coaches and programs stay the same.

Top Bottom