Some Coaches in Year 1

Gopherguy0723

Reaction score
This is for GuyFawkes and everyone else on the ledge who need to take a step back.

Billy Donovan went 13-17 in year one at Florida with a 5-11 SEC record.
Rick Pitino went 17-14 in year one at Providence with a 7-9 record in the Big East. He went 14-14 in year one at Kentucky with a 10-8 record in the SEC.
Mike Krzyzewski went 17-13 in year one at Duke with a 6-8 record in the ACC.
Roy Williams went 19-12 in year one at Kansas with a 6-8 record in the Big Eight.
Tom Crean went 15-14 in year one at Marquette with an 8-8 record in Conference USA.
Jim Calhoun went 9-19 in year one at Connecticut with a 3-13 record in the Big East.

Take some xanax guys. With the exception of Crean, these are some of the best coaches in college basketball in the last 25 years. I think you'd be surprised at how badly some of these coaches performed in years 2 and 3.

This instant gratification generation of 20-somethings can be really pathetic.

A legitimate point that unfortunately gets lost in the condescending nature of the post. FYI....I'm in my 40's.

+1, and I'm 26.

Yep. I'm older, but by less than 10 years. People can't even watch a ballgame without staying off their phones or computers anymore.

In any event, I believe that group of coaches has 12 NCAA titles among them, and I believe you could say all of their first years were somewhere between bad and decent.

This is for GuyFawkes and everyone else on the ledge who need to take a step back.

Rick Pitino went 17-14 in year one at Providence with a 7-9 record in the Big East. He went 14-14 in year one at Kentucky with a 10-8 record in the SEC.
Roy Williams went 19-12 in year one at Kansas with a 6-8 record in the Big Eight.
Tom Crean went 15-14 in year one at Marquette with an 8-8 record in Conference USA.
Jim Calhoun went 9-19 in year one at Connecticut with a 3-13 record in the Big East.

Take some xanax guys. With the exception of Crean, these are some of the best coaches in college basketball in the last 25 years. I think you'd be surprised at how badly some of these coaches performed in years 2 and 3.

Pitino got more out of the team early than most anybody expected and when we were 15-5 and getting votes for the top 25 it got us thinking this team was more than the marginal squad we thought at the start of the year. So expectations went up beyond reality. Overall- he's done a fine job this first year and things are promising for the future. I expected 5-13 BT at the start of the year- right now it looks like 7-11, but we'll play the games just in case.

Tom Izzo: 16-16 in his first year at Michigan State. Bounced in the second round of the NIT

Tom Crean: 6-25, 1-17 in conference play in his first year at Indiana. 2nd and 3rd years weren't much better.

Tom Izzo: 16-16 in his first year at Michigan State. Bounced in the second round of the NIT

Nice addition. Another one of the best coaches of the last 25 years. He adds another title to that group, and I was wrong about those coaches having 12 titles. They have 13. If we add in Izzo, that's 14.

14 titles by guys who struggled somewhat-mightly at the beginning of their careers.

Tom Crean: 6-25, 1-17 in conference play in his first year at Indiana. 2nd and 3rd years weren't much better.

Matt Painter also won like 8-9 games his first year - however - the biggest difference here is that Pitino inherited a team that not only made the NCAA Tournament - but won a game beating UCLA.

I don't think any of the other coaches mentioned in this thread inherited anything close to a NCAA tourney team.

Matt Painter also won like 8-9 games his first year - however - the biggest difference here is that Pitino inherited a team that not only made the NCAA Tournament - but won a game beating UCLA.

I don't think any of the other coaches mentioned in this thread inherited anything close to a NCAA tourney team.

The Kansas Jayhawks were a 6 seed in the NCAA tournament the year before Roy Williams took over.

Michigan State was 22-6/14-4 in Heathcote's last year in 1994-95 and was a 3 seed that lost in the first round. I'd say that was a significantly more accomplished team that Izzo inherited than the one Pitino did.

He's older and more experienced but here's John Beilein's first 3 years at West Virginia and Michigan.

2002–2003 West Virginia 14–15 5–11 6th (West)
2003–2004 West Virginia 17–14 7–9 T–8th NIT Third Round
2004–2005 West Virginia 24–11 8–8 T–7th NCAA Elite Eight

2007–2008 Michigan 10–22 5–13 T–9th
2008–2009 Michigan 21–14 9–9 T–7th NCAA Second Round
2009–2010 Michigan 15–17 7–11 T–7th

Things turned around pretty nicely at both schools after that.

Not having a guy who can bang at the 4 really hurts us. That and Andre is clearly still hurting. We're not as good as the 15-5 start, but we're also not as bad as we've performed since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not having a guy who can bang at the 4 really hurts us. That and Andre is clearly still hurting. We're not as good as the 15-5 start, but we're also not as bad as we've performed since.

Let's not forget we aren't very strong at the 3 lately either.

Let's not forget we aren't very strong at the 3 lately either.

True. I don't know if we have a true 3 on the team. That said, my point was more that our record would look a lot different if we had a solid 4 and if Andre stays healthy. The good thing about basketball is that you're always just a piece or two away and players are generally more ready to contribute out of high school (as compared to football). I think this is a disappointing season, but doesn't necessarily mean we'll be bad next year.

Tubby didn't have much 'luck' with spring recruits. Let's hope Coach Pitino can land at least two of the top recruits he is after. It could set the tone for years to come.

All these records are really cool but they don't mean anything. There hasn't been any correlation shown in any of these posts that predicts whether Pitino will be a successful coach or not. Im more concerned about having a recruiting class that I just read on another post that is ranked in the 60's coming in for next year. Until we start getting some of the better recruits we are looking at we won't move into the top 5 in the B1G. Pitino very well could become a good coach for the Gophers, but to me so far the thing to be most excited about him as a coach is his last name. I'm not saying he has done a bad job, but considering our best 4 wins are at home against Wisconsin, Ohio State, Florida State and @ Richmond, there seems to be a lot of work to do. If we would have known Mathieu was going to be our best player, I don't think anyone would have considered 6-9 at this point to be a successful season.

All these records are really cool but they don't mean anything. There hasn't been any correlation shown in any of these posts that predicts whether Pitino will be a successful coach or not. Im more concerned about having a recruiting class that I just read on another post that is ranked in the 60's coming in for next year. Until we start getting some of the better recruits we are looking at we won't move into the top 5 in the B1G. Pitino very well could become a good coach for the Gophers, but to me so far the thing to be most excited about him as a coach is his last name. I'm not saying he has done a bad job, but considering our best 4 wins are at home against Wisconsin, Ohio State, Florida State and @ Richmond, there seems to be a lot of work to do. If we would have known Mathieu was going to be our best player, I don't think anyone would have considered 6-9 at this point to be a successful season.

I will assume you have no patience.

No I have all kinds of patience and will give Pitino a lot longer than most on here who right now think of him as the baby Jesus. My point was just because you list off a bunch of guys who didn't have great first years as a head coach but went on to have very successful careers as head coaches, that has no bearing on whether Pitino will become a successful head coach or not. He has to get recruits....and actually I'm a little disappointed we didn't get either Travis or Macura, that we weren't in the last 5 for Vaughn, and that I've heard rumors we might not be doing that well with Jarvis Johnson. We are the only Division 1 program in Minnesota.....we have to start keeping our best players in state.

If I was told before the season that Mathieu was going to play to the point that he'd be in consideration for being better than Dre Hollins... I'd have taken 6-9 as good and figured Hollins took a step back from his sophomore season. Plus we beat Wisconsin once and that's not something I thought we'd do.

It's like cheering for the vikings. As long as we beat the packers it's a good season. It's not like we'll win the superbowl... hell hasn't frozen over yet.

I don't doubt that this is true. I'm 21 and I see it all the time even in myself. But I have a feeling most of the people on this board are not 20-somethings, so I'm not sure why this is relevant.

Here's my thing: There isn't all that much talent on this team.

This roster has one truly above average Big Ten player, Andre Hollins.

The rest of the roster is filled with average or below average talent. Let's look at the rest of last night's starters: Austin is just OK. Little Dre is a former OVC walk-on. Mo Walker is improved (and would still probably be fat if Tubby was here). Joey King wasn't a regular starter a year ago for a below .500 Valley team.

I think Pitino has had a successful year, regardless of what happens the rest of the year. He's gotten quite a bit out of a roster that lacks depth, size and talent.

Here's my thing: There isn't all that much talent on this team.

This roster has one truly above average Big Ten player, Andre Hollins.

The rest of the roster is filled with average or below average talent. Let's look at the rest of last night's starters: Austin is just OK. Little Dre is a former OVC walk-on. Mo Walker is improved (and would still probably be fat if Tubby was here). Joey King wasn't a regular starter a year ago for a below .500 Valley team.

I think Pitino has had a successful year, regardless of what happens the rest of the year. He's gotten quite a bit out of a roster that lacks depth, size and talent.

totally agree. this team has one above average big ten player on the roster. that's it. if we make the tournament that's an incredible accomplishment for this squad.

Here on GopherHole, we have too many kids who have never been good enough to play the game, listened to their parents who are frustrated jocks themselves, and are now anonymous experts.

Here on GopherHole, we have too many kids who have never been good enough to play the game, listened to their parents who are frustrated jocks themselves, and are now anonymous experts.

Doc, so true. I just talked to your friend GopherLady and they are changing the question you must answer to become a member to: Have you ever played a competitive sport besides video games?

I believe Clem the Gem went 2-16 in his first year at the U, 4-14 in year two, he had a pretty good run here

No I have all kinds of patience and will give Pitino a lot longer than most on here who right now think of him as the baby Jesus. My point was just because you list off a bunch of guys who didn't have great first years as a head coach but went on to have very successful careers as head coaches, that has no bearing on whether Pitino will become a successful head coach or not. He has to get recruits....and actually I'm a little disappointed we didn't get either Travis or Macura, that we weren't in the last 5 for Vaughn, and that I've heard rumors we might not be doing that well with Jarvis Johnson. We are the only Division 1 program in Minnesota.....we have to start keeping our best players in state.
Oh please did you expect to have Pitino come in and build relationships with those recruits that others built for years and by rumors you mean guy fawkes on Jarvis. Here I'll start a rumor just as credible, WE ARE THE FRONT RUNNERS FOR ELIJIH THOMAS, he wants to move here to be with his girlfriend. See anyone can say something on a message board and sound legit, while being full of ****!

Top Bottom