Margin for error is now zero

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Looks like Gopher RPI won't drop much. Only dropped from 45 to 46 with loss to OSU, only 3 more games to be completed tonight.

3-6 vs. RPI top 50

5-9 vs. RPI top 100 (on the bright side we picked up Indiana as a top-100 win with its win over Northwestern)

Overall SOS = 6

Gophers finally at point of no return. They've used up all their margin for error. One way or another, they have to win 2 of 3 remaining games to have any decent chance of making the tourney.

If Williams Arena isn't loaded for bear Tuesday night, there's something wrong.

Agreed Iowa is a must win, they've proven vulnerable, I think at home they don't go on the type of run they did in the second half at Iowa City. This is our last stand, to quote Killer Angels, Pitino you're the flank!

That was a difficult game to watch. I've always tried to be optimistic.....but I'm finding it tough.

Looks like Gopher RPI won't drop much. Only dropped from 45 to 46 with loss to OSU, only 3 more games to be completed tonight.

3-6 vs. RPI top 50

5-9 vs. RPI top 100

Overall SOS = 6

Gophers finally at point of no return. They've used up all their margin for error. One way or another, they have to win 2 of 3 remaining games to have any decent chance of making the tourney.

SS, where are you getting your RPI rankings? I traditionally go to Real Time RPI, because it is free and I'm cheap. It had the Gophers #57 to start the day. Usually, Real Time RPI is close to the real thing, but this would have it off by a lot.

What do you suppose is up with that?

I use Jerry Palm's at CBSSportsline.com, and sometimes I'll use warrennolan.com. They're almost always exactly the same. Palm's been my go-to site for about the last 8-10 years.

What's nice about Warren Nolen is his rankings update every 5 minutes, not just at the end of the day.

they have to win 2 of 3 remaining games to have any decent chance of making the tourney.

So you're telling me there's a chance... :)

A month ago it would not have seemed unreasonable at all to think we could beat Iowa and Penn State at home, then win the BTT opener. Now it seems next to impossible.

What we really need is a bye week like in football ... gives you 2 weeks between games to settle down, regroup and collect yourselves. No such luck in B1G basketball.

A month ago it would not have seemed unreasonable at all to think we could beat Iowa and Penn State at home, then win the BTT opener. Now it seems next to impossible.

What we really need is a bye week like in football ... gives you 2 weeks between games to settle down, regroup and collect yourselves. No such luck in B1G basketball.

Impossible? I disagree. We simply need a couple guys to step up. Mathieu has been good and Andre has been as well. Having Smith shoot this poorly hurts the team immensely. Oto and King I don't expect much from. Austin has had a tough year. Elliot has been cold as of recently. Big Mo needs to see more floor time.

Inconsistent is an alright word for this team. Sporadic works too. I still don't believe that there is any B10 team that we cannot beat if the team shows up.

I think they need to win 3 more games total including the BTT.

Real outside chance if they only win two more total, but that depends on whether the right SEC teams all keep sucking as they have been which is providing us time, and if any other bids are stolen.

And if Oregon still wins a few.

I use Jerry Palm's at CBSSportsline.com, and sometimes I'll use warrennolan.com. They're almost always exactly the same. Palm's been my go-to site for about the last 8-10 years.

What's nice about Warren Nolen is his rankings update every 5 minutes, not just at the end of the day.

I'll also add that ESPN's RPI numbers seem to match Palm's as well.

3-6 vs. RPI top 50

5-9 vs. RPI top 100 (on the bright side we picked up Indiana as a top-100 win with its win over Northwestern)

Overall SOS = 6

Question for Selection Sunday....

Do you think we would make it if we lost our next two games, but beat Penn State, Northwestern or whoever we play in the first round, and then Michigan State in the second round in the BTT? What I'm asking is if any three wins would get us in the tournament....if we finish 7-11 in the B1G and 2-1 in the tournament....is that as good as finishing 8-10 in the B1G and 1-1 in the BTT....I know the first path gives us a 9-12 overall B1G record and the second gives us a 9-11 overall

Question for Selection Sunday....

Do you think we would make it if we lost our next two games, but beat Penn State, Northwestern or whoever we play in the first round, and then Michigan State in the second round in the BTT? What I'm asking is if any three wins would get us in the tournament....if we finish 7-11 in the B1G and 2-1 in the tournament....is that as good as finishing 8-10 in the B1G and 1-1 in the BTT....I know the first path gives us a 9-12 overall B1G record and the second gives us a 9-11 overall

My inkling would be no. I think the Gophers' chances of making the tournament will be pretty decent with 3 more wins going the 8-10 route (2 more regular season, 1 in BTT), but I don't like their chances if they go the 7-11 route (1 more regular season, 2 in BTT). At 7-11 I gotta' believe it's auto bid or bust, even with an improbable run to the finals in Indy. However, I'd be happy as h*ll to have the opportunity to consider the Gophers (as an at-large) if they get to the finals and lose!

6pm start, roads are still like a skating rink, parking is a mess, team on a tailspin, several Hawkeye fans...I'm not expecting the Barn to be raucous, but I hope I'm wrong.

6pm start, roads are still like a skating rink, parking is a mess, team on a tailspin, several Hawkeye fans...I'm not expecting the Barn to be raucous, but I hope I'm wrong.

The parking issue will be a bigger deal than most think. You can only park on one side of the street now due to winter restrictions until April 1. Those who look for free parking may be in for a rude awakening.

If you park in the lot across from Mariucci before the event parking sign goes up, you can park there for free. The sign usually goes up 4 or so hours before game time. It's a nice trick for students who commute to class and then stay on campus for the game at night.

The parking issue will be a bigger deal than most think. You can only park on one side of the street now due to winter restrictions until April 1. Those who look for free parking may be in for a rude awakening.

If you park in the lot across from Mariucci before the event parking sign goes up, you can park there for free. The sign usually goes up 4 or so hours before game time. It's a nice trick for students who commute to class and then stay on campus for the game at night.

I work downtown Mpls until 5pm. If I can make the 3 mile trek to campus and I'm seated before the 2nd media timeout (12:00 mark of the 1st half) I will consider it a moral win.

What do you guys dislike more: 6 pm weeknight home games...or 8 pm (late game of doubleheader) away game on weeknights that seemingly always gets TV coverage late due to previous game?

What do you guys dislike more: 6 pm weeknight home games...or 8 pm (late game of doubleheader) away game on weeknights that seemingly always gets TV coverage late due to previous game?

I dislike 8pm away games more. 6pm home games are fine for me. Although I do hate the crappy atmosphere that coincides with the 6pm starts.

Top Bottom