Team Assessmemt

Gopherguy0723

Reaction score
I read some of the OSU game thread, and people were melting down way too much. One individual in particular needs to be talked off the ledge for calling out Pitino way too much. His avatar may or may not have something to do with a popular comic strip.

In any event here is how the roster shakes out.

Mathieu - Big Ten caliber starter, needs to improve shot and decision-making
Dre Hollins - Big Ten caliber starter, playing hurt, mediocre defender
Austin Hollins - Big Ten bench player who starts, overrated defensively offers zero offense
King - Big Ten bench player, deep bench player with potential to improve in the future to a bench player
EE - Big Ten back up, has no business starting
Mav - Big Ten walk-on
Oto - Big Ten walk-on
Walker - Big Ten back up, solid offense, no rebounding or defense
Smith - Big Ten deep bench player
McNeil - Big Ten bench player with starter potential in the future
Buggs - Big Ten deep bench player with potential to be a walk-on or be a bench player

I am impressed by what this team has done with a massive lack of talent. They exceeded my expectations for this season. Pitino has done a solid job with these players. He has not proven to be in over his head at all. He is building a program. This takes time. Everyone calm down.

If we are this bad for a few seasons in a row, then it will be time to question things. Now is not that time. Rome wasn't built in a day. Nebraska was horrible last year under Miles. Chill!

Amir Williams- Back up
Shannon Scott Back up
Craft- Great college player getting exposed a bit this year with less talent around him.
Smith Jr- 6th man
Shannon Scott- 6th man
Go that looks like Screech- deep back up...

You could do this with 8 0f 12 Big Team teams..

Pretty good assessment single 07. Maybe a little harsh. But not a ton of talent.

I do find it remarkable how many mental mistakes these guys make and then the lack of effort. GH mentioned changing the culture. Could be on to something.

Keep in mind there has never been a Gopher team that was as talented as GHer's claimed.

I read some of the OSU game thread, and people were melting down way too much. One individual in particular needs to be talked off the ledge for calling out Pitino way too much. His avatar may or may not have something to do with a popular comic strip.

In any event here is how the roster shakes out.

Mathieu - Big Ten caliber starter, needs to improve shot and decision-making
Dre Hollins - Big Ten caliber starter, playing hurt, mediocre defender
Austin Hollins - Big Ten bench player who starts, overrated defensively offers zero offense
King - Big Ten bench player, deep bench player with potential to improve in the future to a bench player
EE - Big Ten back up, has no business starting
Mav - Big Ten walk-on
Oto - Big Ten walk-on
Walker - Big Ten back up, solid offense, no rebounding or defense
Smith - Big Ten deep bench player
McNeil - Big Ten bench player with starter potential in the future
Buggs - Big Ten deep bench player with potential to be a walk-on or be a bench player

I am impressed by what this team has done with a massive lack of talent. They exceeded my expectations for this season. Pitino has done a solid job with these players. He has not proven to be in over his head at all. He is building a program. This takes time. Everyone calm down.

If we are this bad for a few seasons in a row, then it will be time to question things. Now is not that time. Rome wasn't built in a day. Nebraska was horrible last year under Miles. Chill!

I don't ever understand this type of thinking. Yeah sure, if we were Michigan St. or something. But they are all Big Ten players because they play in the Big Ten. Unless you're Duke, Syracuse, or North Carolina, you're going to have role players.

It's going to get worse. I should have taken up ice fishing, the ice on Cass lake will last till June. Still not as cold as the gophers.

I think the OP is wrong on Malik Smith. He has the highest ORtg on the team while taking the 2nd most shots (percentage-wise.) There's a place on almost any team for a guy who can hit 43% of his 3s on a large volume. He shot poorly today, but everyone has bad games.

I'm not sure why McNeil qualifies as a bench player but Malik Smith is a deep bench player.

Who the hell are you comparing our team to? Mo/EE are one of better front courts in the B1G, a lot of teams would take them, sure if you want to compare each position to the best players at each position sure, you got a point, but since when are we michigan state?

I think the OP is wrong on Malik Smith. He has the highest ORtg on the team while taking the 2nd most shots (percentage-wise.) There's a place on almost any team for a guy who can hit 43% of his 3s on a large volume. He shot poorly today, but everyone has bad games.

I'm not sure why McNeil qualifies as a bench player but Malik Smith is a deep bench player.

Most shooters are streaky, Malik Smith is in another world when it comes to that.

In 5 of the 15 BT games, he's gone 23 for 40 from 3.

In the other 10, he's shot 4 for 37.

In the last 7 games, he's made 17% of them.

You just don't know what you're getting from him.

Most shooters are streaky, Malik Smith is in another world when it comes to that.

In 5 of the 15 BT games, he's gone 23 for 40 from 3.

In the other 10, he's shot 4 for 37.

In the last 7 games, he's made 17% of them.

You just don't know what you're getting from him.

You know that he's going to shoot a lot. But that's all you know.

Who the hell are you comparing our team to? Mo/EE are one of better front courts in the B1G, a lot of teams would take them, sure if you want to compare each position to the best players at each position sure, you got a point, but since when are we michigan state?

Then you're a fool with no eye for what it takes to win.

I have to completely disagree here. Mo has really turned his career around but I'd still say this is the least talented front court the Gophers have had in a long long time. Especially since there isn't a 4 on the roster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We aren't Michigan St. True. But If you to be a winner you measure yourself against winners.

Dre and Austin have played uninspired ball all year. I appreciate them saying the right things when Pitino took over. By all accounts they have acted like good teammates. However I really question how much they have truly bought into the change.

Too kind to a couple of players (not going to name them) and way too harsh on EE and Walker. I am not sure their are three better C's offensively in the B1G than Mo Walker right now. Eliason has struggled mightily recently, but his defense and outlet passing are both very good and he'd be welcomed as a starter on a number of B1G teams.

I don't disagree with the overall point that the Gophers aren't that talented, but not many teams in the B1G are this year. Teams like Indiana/Illinois have guys with more upside than the Gophers, but not more B1G ready talent right now, then there's Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue, Penn State...Someone else already pointed out tOSU's current roster.

These same guys played a lot better basketball at Michigan State, against Syracuse, home against Michigan, Ohio State, and Wisconsin, etc than they have at any point over the past month or so.

I have to completely disagree here. Mo has really turned his career around but I'd still say this is the least talented front court the Gophers have had in a long long time. Especially since there isn't a 4 on the roster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right now this is true. It is possible that if Mo continues his development at the pace he has- and becomes a good defensive player- that he could become a really nice Big Ten center next year. But right now - this year we have two really bad PFs and two centers who are each half of a player.

As the year goes on other coaches are seeing that when it's Elliot and Oto or Elliot and Joey- you can force the ball into their hands and get either a turnover or a missed shot. If it's Mo and one of Oto or King on defense you can go inside at will.

Big Mo/EE: one is pretty good on offense, struggles on defense, the other is the opposite, I think they could be effective and serviceable centers on a good team, but they won't be single-handedly winning games
Oto/King/Buggs: how can we possibly be so bad at powerforward? it doesn't seem possibly, we are horrendous at that position, no team will win consistently if they have this big of a whole at any position
Austin: usually a good defender and smart off the ball player, offense struggles at times, but has totally fallen off a cliff in terms of effort and focus
Big Dre: have to assume he isn't 100%, last few years he seemed willing to just take over games, hasn't shown that ability this year
Lil Dre: there is a fine line between winners wanting the ball in their hands and forcing it when it isn't there, he has spent significant time on both sides of that line
Malik: I know shooters are streaky, but he is ridiculously so. I would be annoyed that he keeps firing up bricks when it isn't clicking for him, but since no one around him is doing anything, I can't really blame him for trying to shoot his way out of it
McNeal: potential, seen some good hustle and energy out of him at times, excited to see what the rest of his career brings
Mav: good effort, but total trainwreck when he handles the ball

Mo/EE are one of better front courts in the B1G, a lot of teams would take them,

1. A front court is comprised of two positions, including power forward.

2. You are a troll.

EE/MO have to do more because of our PF situation, they just come across as worse than they really are, we don't have a PF who can help them out downlow, you get another threat downlow (hopefully martin is that guy) and I expect their game to flourish even more

EE/MO have to do more because of our PF situation, they just come across as worse than they really are, we don't have a PF who can help them out downlow, you get another threat downlow (hopefully martin is that guy) and I expect their game to flourish even more

You are emotional tonight. Stop posting the rest of the night, and go drink a six-pack. Then go to bed.

You are making a fool of yourself tonight. Walk away from the computer and regroup tomorrow before people start losing all respect for you.

Dre and Austin have played uninspired ball all year. I appreciate them saying the right things when Pitino took over. By all accounts they have acted like good teammates. However I really question how much they have truly bought into the change.

On second thought it may be unfair to say this. It could simply be they are not comfortable and/ or confident in the new system.

And yes I did just reply to my own post. Ha

Amir Williams- Back up
Shannon Scott Back up
Craft- Great college player getting exposed a bit this year with less talent around him.
Smith Jr- 6th man
Shannon Scott- 6th man
Go that looks like Screech- deep back up...

You could do this with 8 0f 12 Big Team teams..

Nice try but your post is absurd.

Amir Williams - Consensus Top 50 player out of high school
Shanon Scott - Consensus Top 50 player out of high school
LaQuinton Ross - Consensus Top 50 player out of high school
Sam Thompson - Consensus Top 50 player out of high school
Marc Loving - Consensus Top 75 player out of high school
Kameron Williams - Consensus Top 100 player out of high school

And they have at least 3 recruits coming in next year on the list.

This is from http://www.rscihoops.com/ which averages player rankings from 6 or 7 well-known recruiting sites.

Look up how many gophers on this current team are on there. If Ohio State has been under-performing that is on Matta. Sure some of their recruits may have been overrated or are not living up to their potential but to downplay Ohio State's overall talent in comparison to the gophers is laughable. And 8 of 12 is right....about 8 of 12 Big Ten teams have extremely more talented rosters than the gophers.

We have 4 guys on our roster that didn't have a single BCS school offer out of High School. Every team we play has 0 guys who fit that description. Calm down.

On second thought it may be unfair to say this. It could simply be they are not comfortable and/ or confident in the new system.

And yes I did just reply to my own post. Ha

You may have just proven yourself one of the more sane posters on this site.

The fact is that Austin has had two terrible Big Ten seasons in a row, under two coaches. He played like a sloppy freshman today. Love him, but he's been killing us lately.....

Dre is hurt. It's not as if he's been the drive-hard-to-the-rack guy his whole career. He has always had some tentativeness to his game and why it's best for him to not be the PG - even though that's his only shot at the pro level. I would say that he and Deandre don't have a great rapport, though, and I'm not sure why.

This is silly. This team was 4-3 looking at 7-3 and choked. Some of it is because players who were playing over their head regressed (Oto, EE, Smith). Some of it is our best player being hurt. Some of it is bad luck/officiating (as bad as things seem now, how different would be feel if we got 2 calls/bounces vs NW and Purdue).

This team was good enough to make the NCAA's and they appear to have blown it, though they still have a chance to save themselves. There's nothing to be gained by bitter revisionist savaging of the roster.

This is silly. This team was 4-3 looking at 7-3 and choked. Some of it is because players who were playing over their head regressed (Oto, EE, Smith). Some of it is our best player being hurt. Some of it is bad luck/officiating (as bad as things seem now, how different would be feel if we got 2 calls/bounces vs NW and Purdue).

This team was good enough to make the NCAA's and they appear to have blown it, though they still have a chance to save themselves. There's nothing to be gained by bitter revisionist savaging of the roster.

You call it savagery. I call it honesty.

Show me where you expressed this same 'honesty' a month ago and it's worth something.

You're finding ill intent where it doesn't exist.

I am sorry you are caught up on what could have been. I am expressing reality.

Depth of talent affects team endurance. It's a long season. Flashes in the pan don't get it done. The cream rises to the top. No savagery intended it is just the reality we are faced with right now. That said I am encouraged and optimistic for the future. I like Pitino.

Top Bottom