Should Pitino tell anyone to transfer at the end of the year?

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
I know some are pretty passionate about not forcing players out the door, but I think it's a different situation when a new coach takes over and some of the players just flat out don't fit the system. I am hoping Pitino tells Oto to transfer (assuming he graduates) and would not be opposed to him telling Buggs to transfer if he doesn't see him developing into a useful player. I doubt EE and Mo transfer, but at this point it wouldn't be devastating if one of them did (particularly EE). Obviously Dre fits and is one of the few quality players Tubby left for us.

At the end of the day this program is not going to get turned around until Pitino has an opportunity to bring in his type of players and the sooner he is able to do that the better. No sense in having upperclassmen like Oto on the roster if they are just going to ride the bench, especially if they could transfer and play immediately.

What say you?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Pitino may have to have some very difficult conversations with members of this team at end of year. Changing a culture isn't easy. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a></p>— GopherHole.com (@GopherHole) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherHole/statuses/437391145879240704">February 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I obviously agree.

If you ask someone to leave, you better be damned sure that the player you replace him with is better.

If you ask someone to leave, you better be damned sure that the player you replace him with is better.

I don't think it would be tough for Pitino to replace this sort of production from Oto.

Oto Osenieks, F 0-4 0-2 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

I know some are pretty passionate about not forcing players out the door, but I think it's a different situation when a new coach takes over and some of the players just flat out don't fit the system. I am hoping Pitino tells Oto to transfer (assuming he graduates) and would not be opposed to him telling Buggs to transfer if he doesn't see him developing into a useful player. I doubt EE and Mo transfer, but at this point it wouldn't be devastating if one of them did (particularly EE). Obviously Dre fits and is one of the few quality players Tubby left for us.

At the end of the day this program is not going to get turned around until Pitino has an opportunity to bring in his type of players and the sooner he is able to do that the better. No sense in having upperclassmen like Oto on the roster if they are just going to ride the bench, especially if they could transfer and play immediately.

What say you?

Yeah but the problem with that is there may not be any recruits worth bringing in at that point either. If you get to the end of the season and you have all your scholarships accounted for but there is a guy you still really want that hasn't signed anywhere, then maybe. But the likeliness of that happening at that point is pretty small.

"Oto, thanks for your service... and since you're done with school and since you will get 0 minutes the whole season, you can decide if you want to leave, but you really should leave."

Yeah but the problem with that is there may not be any recruits worth bringing in at that point either. If you get to the end of the season and you have all your scholarships accounted for but there is a guy you still really want that hasn't signed anywhere, then maybe. But the likeliness of that happening at that point is pretty small.

Well maybe Pitino should have the conversation in the next couple of weeks then. At the very least, Pitino should tell Oto he will be seeing Mav-type minutes next year.

yes, absolutely. this is a bottom line business and i have to imagine that the coaching staff is very embarrassed at what's going on right now (they share blame obviously) but the roster needs a dramatic upgrade in talent.

Oto is a division II player and has no business on a Big 10 roster.It is difficult to imagine what Vince and Saul saw in him.He is not athletic and can't even shoot.

It is not the coaches fault, its the players. They need to go. Clean house, send em.

IF Dre Hollins and Austin Hollins had played up to their potential or close to it this team would have 9 wins.

Dre got hurt but he was not lighting it up before he got hurt.

It is not the coaches fault, its the players. They need to go. Clean house, send em.

If you guys think that cleaning house and getting rid of guys who will be upperclassmen is a great recipe, you might want to give John Groce a call.

It's almost never only the players' fault, just like it is almost never only the coaches' fault. It's usually a little of both.

I don't think it would be tough for Pitino to replace this sort of production from Oto.

Oto Osenieks, F 0-4 0-2 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

I hear ya, but in most cases, players see the same things as we do as fans. I said in a previous post that we could see up to three transfers, and I will stand by that. I am sure Oto isnt feeling real positive about his playing time for next year

If we get two commitments and are in good shape with a 3rd prospect, then I'd be fine with asking Oto to leave as long as he graduates. Asking either center to leave would be ridiculously stupid in my opinion. This team does need a bit of an overhaul.

I requested feedback from Ryan James on this topic:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/SKOORB_SIWEL">@SKOORB_SIWEL</a> If you won't use them you tell them and let them find a new opportunity</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/437397951225151488">February 23, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/SKOORB_SIWEL">@SKOORB_SIWEL</a> That said, it's late. There are very few unsigned PFs out there much less guys that can play better than a 5th year sr.</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/437398166007054336">February 23, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/SKOORB_SIWEL">@SKOORB_SIWEL</a> If somebody new is gonna help a the four it's Josh Martin.</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/437398283929939969">February 23, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/SKOORB_SIWEL">@SKOORB_SIWEL</a> Or if one of these foreign huge guys can play a little four</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/437398413571665920">February 23, 2014</a></blockquote>

My biggest fear after firing Tubby was it was going to turn into a glen mason situation, where get hit in the face hard about how lucky we were to have said coach. I really, really hope this program doesn't bottom out, I really appreciated what Tubby did to this program and where he put them. A lot of people forget where this program was before Tubby got here, I don't want to return to that state of basketball. I have only started following the football this year since the glen mason firing, I don't want to abandon the basketball program for the same reasons

I requested feedback from Ryan James on this topic:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/SKOORB_SIWEL">@SKOORB_SIWEL</a> If you won't use them you tell them and let them find a new opportunity</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/437397951225151488">February 23, 2014</a></blockquote>

That's assuming the player would want to leave. Who knows, maybe Oto loves it at the U and wants to stay no matter what his playing situation is.

I'm not saying that will happen, but telling a guy he probably won't play next year doesn't automatically mean he will want to leave either.

Seniors - Dre, Mathieu, EE, Mo, Oto
Juniors - King, Morris
Sophomores - McNeil, Buggs
Freshmen - Martin, Mason
Current Recruits: Piper, Eubanks, Mahmoud, Gueye, Bakary

Tell Oto he won't play so he transfers after graduation.
If Buggs isn't progressing and doesn't project to play in the next 2-3 years tell him just that.

Assume we sign 3 of the 5 recruits. Assume we hang on to Buggs since Pitino has talked about his potential. That leaves us with an extra scholarship from Oto leaving, we then can use that on a spring recruit, graduate transfer, or a mid season transfer. I think that is probably the best we can hope for right now. If we could sign 4 of the 5 recruits we are after right now, I would be more than fine with that.

My biggest fear after firing Tubby was it was going to turn into a glen mason situation, where get hit in the face hard about how lucky we were to have said coach. I really, really hope this program doesn't bottom out, I really appreciated what Tubby did to this program and where he put them. A lot of people forget where this program was before Tubby got here, I don't want to return to that state of basketball. I have only started following the football this year since the glen mason firing, I don't want to abandon the basketball program for the same reasons

No where near the point of worrying about that. This season would be worse if Tubby were here. No Mathieu and a 300 pound Mo? Yikes.

That's assuming the player would want to leave. Who knows, maybe Oto loves it at the U and wants to stay no matter what his playing situation is.

I'm not saying that will happen, but telling a guy he probably won't play next year doesn't automatically mean he will want to leave either.

Definitely. But I'm not sure that is all that likely. D-1 basketball takes up a lot of time and requires a huge commitment. Lots of practice, traveling, workouts etc. Not exactly fun if you are never going to play and already have your degree, especially when you could transfer some where else and actually get to play. I could also see Oto just graduating and not pursuing his 5th year. He is engaged, might just want to move on with the rest of his life.

Your act is getting old.

Keeping Tubby would have been a big mistake. Wait until Pitino gets his players in here.

Juniors - King
Freshmen - Martin, Mason, Morris

If Buggs isn't progressing and doesn't project to play in the next 2-3 years tell him just that.

Assume we sign 3 of the 5 recruits. Assume we hang on to Buggs since Pitino has talked about his potential. That leaves us with an extra scholarship from Oto leaving, we then can use that on a spring recruit, graduate transfer, or a mid season transfer. I think that is probably the best we can hope for right now. If we could sign 4 of the 5 recruits we are after right now, I would be more than fine with that.

morris is juco

Juniors - King
Freshmen - Martin, Mason, Morris

The coaches are keeping an eye on possible immediate qualifiers for next year, as well as the recruits you mentioned

The coaches are keeping an eye on possible immediate qualifiers for next year, as well as the recruits you mentioned

Immediate qualifiers as in guys graduating and looking to transfer or guys that could get a waiver (ie King)?

Definitely. But I'm not sure that is all that likely. D-1 basketball takes up a lot of time and requires a huge commitment. Lots of practice, traveling, workouts etc. Not exactly fun if you are never going to play and already have your degree, especially when you could transfer some where else and actually get to play. I could also see Oto just graduating and not pursuing his 5th year. He is engaged, might just want to move on with the rest of his life.

It's hard to say because we usually don't know when a player decides to stay after being told they probably won't play much. It's not something that is talked about publicly usually.

I get what you're saying, I just don't think it is a sure thing that every player would transfer in that situation.

It's hard to say because we usually don't know when a player decides to stay after being told they probably won't play much. It's not something that is talked about publicly usually.

I get what you're saying, I just don't think it is a sure thing that every player would transfer in that situation.

Yeah I realize that. I'd also add in the fact that these players would also have to ride the bench for a coach that never recruited them and thus never wanted them on the team. That along with the other reasons listed would make the alternatives that much more attractive.

Top Bottom