NIT or NCAA?

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Good chance to get some experience for those younger guys.
Better than a one-and-done in the NCAA's anyway.

We're not young, everyone but 2 players is an upperclassmen. And we may well be 1-and-done in the NIT.

Well, Bobby Knight won 3 title and he said there would have been years when he would rather have his team playing in the NIT than the NCAA tournament. If you believe him, then this is a year for us.

I didn't expect to make the NCAA tournament this year anyway, so I'm not upset. It's just frustrating that my expectations were almost exceeded for this season.

You are the guy who had a wall covered with participation awards and 7th place ribbons weren't you?

"...this young team" that's a joke right?

I'm just trying to sour-grapes this one away, folks.

I know they aren't young.

But it's been an entertaining year. Better than I probably expected.
When Illinois started hitting 3's I had an idea it would be a bad night.

Anywhoooo.....
hopefully we can play spoiler a bit and beat Iowa.

Sorry but I hate when people say this. It's garbage. The NCAA experience is always better, and there's zero guarantee that the NIT run will last longer.

[/B]

You are the guy who had a wall covered with participation awards and 7th place ribbons weren't you?

Is this where you begin the posturing? Ok, I'll bite. What were you, a hotshot player or legendary coach? You might as well get it out of your system, just like the couple dozen other guys who came here to show everyone else how to be a true competitor.

"...this young team" that's a joke right?

Maybe not young in the sense that we have many freshmen and sophomores getting big minutes, but Joey King, Dre Mathieu, and Malik Smith are all playing through their first season on this team. Other than Malik Smith, this is everyone's first season playing for Pitino. This is also Pitino's first year, and he is the youngest coach in this conference.

So while technically they aren't that young, we've got a few pretty big contributors going through their first year with the Gophers, Richard Pitino included.

Sorry but I hate when people say this. It's garbage. The NCAA experience is always better, and there's zero guarantee that the NIT run will last longer.

And it's depressing when some of the NIT games are in front of 3,000 people.

Getting bounced from the NCAA in the first round does more for recruiting than going deep in the NIT.....or probably even winning the NIT. I don't even know who won the NIT last year. Do you?

NCAA Tournament Question

Here's what I've been reading:
8 B1G wins and 0 BTT wins = likely last 4 in
8 B1G wins and 1+ BTT win(s) = in with no questions asked
9 B1G wins and 0 BTT wins = in with no questions asked

BUT
7 B1G wins and 1 BTT win = I'm assuming out?
7 B1G wins and 2 BTT wins = last 4 in? last 4 out?

With 9-9 now out of the question barring an unforseen surge by the Gophers, I told my disappointed 13-year-old nephew that the following would have to be the Gophers' bare minimum path to have a chance for the NCAA Tournament:

(1) Win the remaining home games (Iowa, Penn State).

(2) Lose the remaining road games (Ohio State, Michigan)

That gets us to 8-10.

(3) Win a game in Indianapolis, no matter who it is, preferably someone in the top 100 of the RPI. In a perfect worrld, I'd want the Gophers paired up vs. Nebraska. It would be the Big Ten's two most likely bubble teams going head to head. The ramifications would be obvious.

That's 9-11 (vs. conference foes) with 3 to 5 RPI top-50 wins (Ohio State, Wisconsin, Iowa, perhaps Richmond, perhaps Nebraska), so there'd be a fighter's chance. Generally speaking, 4 RPI top-50 wins is a solid number for a bubble team. However, I can't agree with your "8 + 1" scenario. There would most definitely "be questions asked" by the Selection Committee. If the Gophers go 8-10/1-1 BTT and make the NCAA that would be fortuitous, in my opinion, somewhere in the neighborhood of a 50-50 proposition.

7-11 scenarios? Not worth the time considering.

Still 4 games to play, plus opportunity knocks in Indy. Let's see what happens. If we've learned anything about this season's Big Ten is that anything can and has happened on any given night.

I'm just trying to sour-grapes this one away, folks.

I know they aren't young.

But it's been an entertaining year. Better than I probably expected.
When Illinois started hitting 3's I had an idea it would be a bad night.

Anywhoooo.....
hopefully we can play spoiler a bit and beat Iowa.
Wouldn't beating Iowa put us back on the right side of things?

Is this where you begin the posturing? Ok, I'll bite. What were you, a hotshot player or legendary coach? You might as well get it out of your system, just like the couple dozen other guys who came here to show everyone else how to be a true competitor.

Not at all but I played sports with the overall goal being to win. I cheer for my teams in the hopes that they win. I will never start watching a season in the hopes that my team will make the NIT over the NCAA tournament.

I don't accept that our NCAA hopes are dead yet. Having said that NIT is never better than NCAA. It is the tournament to crown the 69th best team in the country. Just in case anyone is wondering, I would also not rather see the USA play in the bronze medal game in Sochi.

Just looking at the bubble now I would think there would be a decent chance the Gophers would get in at 8-10 and losing in the first game of the BTT and I would be very surprised if they didn't make it if they can get to 8-10 and win the first BTT game. I didn't really think about it but losing to Illinois forces the Gophers to add another good win to get to 8-10 while before they could have got to 8-10 by just beating Penn State and Illinois which wouldn't have been near as strong as the 8-10 they would have to get to know. Another thing to think about is how much will the committee factor in Andre Hollins being injured and missing 2 of those loses?

Are Gophers Done?

In my opinion, NOT YET. Now I am not one to typically look in the past but last year we were 6-8 before a huge upset win against #1 Indiana. Yes yes yes last year's team is different and our RPI last year was through the roof blah blah blah. I'm just pointing it out that we got back to 8-8 before losing 3 straight and we still snuck in....now...

Yesterday I posted "NIT BOUND" in another thread but I was emotional as last night was one of the worst hoops games I have watched. I think there is time and enough quality wins left on the table for us to make the dance. At worst Gophers have to get to 8-10 and prolly win 1 if not 2 in the BTT to be a pure bubble team. But enough talking about the dance...thats just what we fans can do.

The Gophers need to learn from this...and IMHO I hope they learn that they can rarely go man to man against teams. I think Austin is our best defender but outside of that we dont have guys that can stay with other players. We constantly give up WIDE OPEN 3's in man to man. WE need to stick to our zone...especially against OSU. Our F's aren't athletic enough to stay with other F's in the B1G and Malik seems to be a step slow on D. Stick with zone so they guard one area of the court...it's like camo for our liabilities to some degree. Yes in our zone we give up offensive rebounds but that is the price you pay...I just dont think we can guard man to man against every team with our lack of 1 on 1 defenders.

Just looking at the bubble now I would think there would be a decent chance the Gophers would get in at 8-10 and losing in the first game of the BTT and I would be very surprised if they didn't make it if they can get to 8-10 and win the first BTT game. I didn't really think about it but losing to Illinois forces the Gophers to add another good win to get to 8-10 while before they could have got to 8-10 by just beating Penn State and Illinois which wouldn't have been near as strong as the 8-10 they would have to get to know. Another thing to think about is how much will the committee factor in Andre Hollins being injured and missing 2 of those loses?[/QUOTE]

My guess is it would not figure very much or at all since the Gophers record would still be sub-.500 with Andre back on the court.

Absolutely have to win one of the three tough ones and beat Penn State.

Can't afford a 1 and done in BTT.

Hopes not dead, but Gopher fans are not new to this type of collapse.

Getting to the NCAA Tournament and losing your first game by 30 is better than winning the NIT.

They still have a chance at 7 and 11 with a good BTT showing. 8-10 they will be in I feel.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom