MN Daily: McNeil fills vital role as a freshman

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

After playing in only three of the first 10 games of the season, McNeil has played in 15 of the last 16 contests. And he’s logged 10-plus minutes in five of the last seven games.

“He’s playing extremely hard in practice. Working hard, and that confidence is coming because of it,” Pitino said. “We’re more comfortable playing him.”

McNeil said he tries to replicate Andre Hollins’ game on the court.

“He’s an all-around guy,” McNeil said. “He does all the little things and gets his good baskets when we need them.

“So I just try to watch the things he does on offense and defense.”

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/mens-basketball/2014/02/19/mcneil-fills-vital-role-freshman

Go Gophers!!

I have really enjoyed watching McNeil's improvement this year. He is fast turning into my favorite gopher with his defense and ability to drive. I predict that next year he will have the biggest productivity jump from Freshman to Sophomore

He reminds me of Austin as a freshman. Sees some playing time here and there but the stats don't jump off the books. Plays solid D and helps do the little things.

It will be interesting to see if he can develop into an Andre Hollins scoring threat as well.

Freshmen Austin is a good comparison. I like his offensive game too as he plays within himself but isn't tentative. When an opportunity for a shot or a driving lane presents itself he takes it but he also doesn't force his offense at all. Good athlete, good ball handler, developing shot. A lot to like there.

During the past few games when turnovers have ben an issue for this team, McNeill seems to be making good decisions with it.

I'm excited to watch McNeil develop these next few years. I could see him becoming a simliar player to Austin Hollins with a better offensive game.

I don't really get the Austin Hollins comparisons. McNeil is a combo guard (PG/SG) with a good handle. Austin is a wing (SG/SF) that has a terrible handle, though he is a good defender (as is McNeil). I'd say McNeil is closer to Dre than Austin, though he is no where near as quick and as good of a scorer as freshman Dre.

Am I alone in that I don't think Dre is quick? I think he is one of the slower sg out there, he's just rather efficient with his movements ie he doesn't juke/fake much he decides where he is going and goes there.

Defensively he struggles against those that are "quick" and his lateral movement, especially now with the ankle but also before that, is substandard.

I love me some Dre, but I wouldnt describe him as a quick guard.

I think McNeil reminds alot of this FR at MN named McNeil. Why do we need to compare a kid all the time. His game is his and I hope he continues to grow.

Am I alone in that I don't think Dre is quick? I think he is one of the slower sg out there, he's just rather efficient with his movements ie he doesn't juke/fake much he decides where he is going and goes there.

Defensively he struggles against those that are "quick" and his lateral movement, especially now with the ankle but also before that, is substandard.

Agreed. I wouldn't call him quick either. He has decent athleticism for a guy his size.

No. Dre isn't very quick. He's slow laterally.

Dre's quickness is about average, maybe slightly above average. Everyone looks slow compared to Mathieu though. I'd still say McNeil isn't as quick as Dre though.

Dre's quickness is about average, maybe slightly above average. Everyone looks slow compared to Mathieu though. I'd still say McNeil isn't as quick as Dre though.

Agreed. I also think folks have short term memory as we have seen an obviously slower Dre the past few games as he comes back from injury. He can beat his man off the dribble and take it "quickly" to the rim when healthy. Not the fastest cat on the floor but most definitely quick.

Austin has a terrific handle?

The comparison to Austin as a freshman makes a lot more sense. He doesn't try to do much at all on offense other than occasionally getting to the hoop, and mostly just plays really hard and solid defense (much like Austin did). McNeil has also handled the ball very little since he's been getting more time, and he certainly hasn't been similar to Dre on offense in any way.

I don't really get the Austin Hollins comparisons. McNeil is a combo guard (PG/SG) with a good handle. Austin is a wing (SG/SF) that has a terrible handle, though he is a good defender (as is McNeil). I'd say McNeil is closer to Dre than Austin, though he is no where near as quick and as good of a scorer as freshman Dre.

Top Bottom