Wally to focus on track, per Fuller

Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sophomore guard Wally Ellenson to focus on track, per Gophers release.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/435869627134906368">February 18, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What does "focus on track" mean? Does that mean he is leaving the team effectively immediately? After this season? Or just that he is articulating that his track is a higher priority than his basketball and planning on continuing both?

What was your favorite Wally Ellenson moment?

I'm not surprised at all by this but I kind of figured he'd at least stay on the team until the end of the season. I guess with track season coming up he wants to start training as much as possible. There's one extra scholly.

What does "focus on track" mean? Does that mean he is leaving the team effectively immediately? After this season? Or just that he is articulating that his track is a higher priority than his basketball and planning on continuing both?
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Minnesota soph Wally Ellenson has chosen to leave the basketball program, but remains enrolled as a member of the men’s track & field team.</p>— Jeff Borzello (@jeffborzello) <a href="https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/statuses/435872003208118272">February 18, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

From the stands I could see it in his near-death body language during warmups and timeouts on Sunday. That game was the last place he wanted to be...the first guy back to the bench, throwing up shots 10 feet beyond the arc (ok, maybe that wasn't so different). This is for the best, for him and the program. Good luck and jump high over that bar, Wally.

I think he would have played a bit more next year. Austin will be gone, and not much is known about guys like Carlos Morris. Wally's not a good enough athlete to take Austin's spot this year, but it had to be frustrating to watch us take on other opponents he probably felt he could run circles around and jump over.

In two years(the 2015-2016 season), the team will contain only 3 members of the current team:

McNeil, Buggs and King. That's a big turnover. Ten players in two years.

I think he would have played a bit more next year. Austin will be gone, and not much is known about guys like Carlos Morris. Wally's not a good enough athlete to take Austin's spot this year, but it had to be frustrating to watch us take on other opponents he probably felt he could run circles around and jump over.

That's not what the coach is looking for.

Here's to hoping we can root for Wally in the 2016 Olympics at Rio. I wish him nothing but the best as he moves forward. Ski-u-mah!

Release per the U:

Wally Ellenson to Focus Exclusively on Track & Field Career,
Leave Men’s Basketball Program

MINNEAPOLIS - University of Minnesota sophomore Wally Ellenson (Rice Lake, Wis./Rice Lake HS) has chosen to leave the men’s basketball program, and will remain enrolled at the University as a member of the men’s track & field team.

“We respect Wally’s decision, and wish him, Coach Steve Plasencia and the Gophers track & field team nothing but the best this season,” said head men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino.

Last year, Ellenson excelled for the Gophers as a high jumper, advancing to the NCAA Outdoor Championships and placing eighth with a mark of 2.20 meters which earned him All-America First Team honors. He was a USTFCCCA All-Academic honoree as well.

On the court, Ellenson appeared in nine games this season, totaling 16 points, 12 rebounds, two assists and a steal. During his freshman season, Ellenson overcame an early hand injury to play nine games in a reserve role.

I agree, WindyCityGopher. Did you notice when threw one up from half court during warm-ups and proceeded to screw around and try to talk to Shell? (Kendall was stretching by the way, in spite of the unlikely chances for him to play.) I wonder if his body language/actions prompted a conversation with the coach that brought about this decision?

Hopefully the five we bring in for next year can contribute and those three step up. I like McNeil's overall game, but will see how it translates when he has more responsibility, no reason he can't be as good as Austin by his senior year and every good team has an Austin Hollins type. King with some added bulk I think can improve the next two years, Buggs is a wild card and as for the 3M's coming in, I think they're all good pieces, maybe not program changers, but I think Mason and Martin are the type of guys that can be really good four year players, which I would take over a one and done when building a program. Get the one and done's once you have the other pieces intact.

This is best for all parties involved. I've talked to Wally a couple times and he's a good dude so I wish him luck and hope he achieves his goal of getting to the Olympics.

In two years(the 2015-2016 season), the team will contain only 3 members of the current team:

McNeil, Buggs and King. That's a big turnover. Ten players in two years.

Are you counting Shell also?
(Regardless, looks like the most in the Big Ten.)

Are you counting counting Shell also?

Yes I forgot about him, but I assume he is on a 'temporary' scholarship and I was not counting walk-ons.

There used to be a rule that you could only have so many new scholarship players in one year.....I believe that rule is gone....am I correct?

It's been obvious for months that Ellenson wouldn't remain with the team based on his body language and demeanor.

I'm glad he's staying at Minnesota though. It's a great school, and he's a big part of the track team. Here's hoping you can make the Olympics someday Ellenson.

Wow, big news! I think this is the best scenario for both parties! Now we can officially sign both Mahmoud and Piper/Eubanks! Do work Pitino, McHale, Kimani, and Johnson!

Does the track team give full scholarships or just partials?

What was your favorite Wally Ellenson moment?

Mine was this season right after the "Midnight Madness" scrimmage (whatever the hell it was called), when a bunch of people here said he would be a huge contributor this year and the fast-paced style would be a perfect fit for him. I also liked it when - just the other day - someone here said he had more basketball skills than Rodney Williams.

Maybe Pitino talked to Wally about next year and Wally thought it would be better to move on now?
Maybe we will have two new commits for 2014 pretty quick and so Coach talked to Wally?

Does the track team give full scholarships or just partials?

I'm sure it's at their discretion. The track team probably only has X amount of scholarships, and those scholarships are divided among the entire team. It wouldn't surprise me if one or two athletes got full rides because they contribute more than others. At least, that's how it works with college baseball.

Mine was this season right after the "Midnight Madness" scrimmage (whatever the hell it was called), when a bunch of people here said he would be a huge contributor this year and the fast-paced style would be a perfect fit for him. I also liked it when - just the other day - someone here said he had more basketball skills than Rodney Williams.

Let's not rip the guy. He simply couldn't hack it on the court. It's not his fault he got a scholarship. That's Tubby's fault.

Top Bottom