Predict...IN......or OUT

Gopherbbdude

Reaction score
Do you think the Gophers will be in or out of the tourney?

What will it take. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5....wins?

Can this team make a Sweet 16 run with a favorable seed?

2 in regular season 1 in tourney .
Lose in third round(round of 32)
Sign piper and anas.
Beat louiville
Finish top 4 in b10 next year.

2 b1G wins 1 BTT win and in. And yes a favorable bracket and we can make a run, just like anyone else

Scrape together two more wins and we are in. I don't even think we need a B10 tourney win. The game against Illinois is really important.

Will have to be three more wins, with Iowa here, being one of them. Nebraska, at 11-7 at year end, will definitely have preference from the Selection Committee.

Will have to be three more wins, with Iowa here, being one of them. Nebraska, at 11-7 at year end, will definitely have preference from the Selection Committee.

We could certainly still make the tournament even if Nebraska ends up 11-7. They are just one of the many teams we're competing against on the bubble, and the fact is they have more work to do than we do. Beat Illinois, Penn State, and win our first BTT game and I think we're in.

Must have 3 B1G wins to solidify ticket, otherwise would need, minimum of 2 B1G regulars and 2 tourney wins.

Take a look at Nebraska's schedule. They are at 6-6, have an easy schedule, play well at home and are on a roll. I could see them finishing with 10 or 11 conference wins - I know, truly amazing! Their win at MSU yesterday was arguably a program changer for them.

If NE does what I predict and Gophers finish 8-10 in the conf, and only pick up one B1G tourney win, the dance committee could easily justify a snub given the clear line of demarcation between 6th and 7th place in the conference, irrespective of a decent RPI.

Bottom line: Gophers, win your home games!!!

yes. need 3 wins. this team could go deep. we've got guards, which is what decides those tight games.

Must have 3 B1G wins to solidify ticket, otherwise would need, minimum of 2 B1G regulars and 2 tourney wins.

Take a look at Nebraska's schedule. They are at 6-6, have an easy schedule, play well at home and are on a roll. I could see them finishing with 10 or 11 conference wins - I know, truly amazing! Their win at MSU yesterday was arguably a program changer for them.

If NE does what I predict and Gophers finish 8-10 in the conf, and only pick up one B1G tourney win, the dance committee could easily justify a snub given the clear line of demarcation between 6th and 7th place in the conference, irrespective of a decent RPI.

Bottom line: Gophers, win your home games!!!

Better conference finish wasn't enough to get Iowa in over us or Illinois last year. Also I don't believe the selection committee puts any stock into conference standings. They just look at whom you've played and beaten, regardless of if they're in your conference or not. They also have a loss to 150+ RPI UAB, whereas our worst loss is to a fringe top 100 Northwestern or Purdue.

In....Gophers beat Illinois, Penn State and Penn State in the B1G Tournament, so three wins. I think they would be sweating if they lost in the first round of the B1G Tournament to a team like Illinois or Penn State. They may get in, but it would be close. I don't think they will make a run to the Sweet 16, but you never know. Next year should be a good year, and then we will see how well Richard can recruit. To me, they program has very little in their Freshman and Sophomore years. Partly because of Tubby, partly because of the lost year of recruiting and partly because I'm not sold on what Pitino has signed for next year. It would have been nice to get one of the top 4 players in the state who are seniors this year.

doesn't go by conference bids, Nebraska success or lack there of will have no baring on the gophs if they take care of business

While I don't buy that conference affilation has no political bearing on things, people need to get off the idea that it's somehow us vs. Nebraska for a bid. It's not. Even if we both make it, that's only 7, hardly an unusual #. If we were both vying to be the B1G's 9th team in, I might share the concern. As it is, they have no more specific bearing our chances than Richmond or LSU, etc.

" Predict...IN......or OUT"

I hate it when you talk dirty to me, gopherbbdude.

They need 3 wins between the rest of conference and the BIG tourney, assuming one of them is in the regular season. I believe they will get four total wins between now and selection Sunday, I believe they will be IN.

If they get in, the only way they get to the sweet 16 is if Wichita St is their 1 or 2 seed. I think the other top seeds have too much fire power and that our line-up matches up with the shockers' fairly well.

The only way they get to the sweet 16 is if Wichita St is their 1 or 2 seed. I think the other top seeds have too much fire power.

If the Gophers are a 12 seed, which is quite possible, they won't have to face a #1 or #2 or #3 seed to make it to the Sweet 16.

Nebraska had the luxury of playing an MSU team w/o their PG and w/o their power forward. Nebraska, I suspect, will lose a game or two you have chalked up as a win. Gophers need to take care of business at home and they will be fine.

We have to win 3 if we want to feel safe on Selection Sunday, but keep in mind we finished with 19 wins last season, went one-and-done in the BTT, and still got an 11 seed in the tournament. So 2 wins would give us a 60% chance or so.

Nebraska had the luxury of playing an MSU team w/o their PG and w/o their power forward. Nebraska, I suspect, will lose a game or two you have chalked up as a win. Gophers need to take care of business at home and they will be fine.

Actually....both Payne and Appling played against Nebraska but Payne didn't play against the Gophers. Those two along with Gary Harris are their three studs on the team. Their other forward who broke his hand slamming it while watching film is good, but the other three are first team B1G when they are healthy. In fairness.....Appling is banged up and it was Payne's first or second game back.

I am looking forward to not having the bubble conversation next season... Coach Pitino will continue to solidify the squad and lock up a bid early. Go Gophers!

IN

I believe we are in if we beat Penn St and Illinois. Those two wins I think is enough with our rpi. Lose one of those and beat Iowa maybe we are status quo. For sure we need two of the last five but losing to either Penn St or Illinois at home would be a red flag.

I think it's also a factor our leading scorer was hurt in winnable conference losses.

In at 8 and 10 last year. Iowa finished ahead of us in conference and didn't get in so Nebraska is a non factor I think this year to us with their rpi.

Anybody (okay most any big conference team) in the tournament can get to the sweet 16. Matchups, injuries, sickness, fouls, location, referees, best player breaks up with girl friend game day, about a million factors an opponent might experience can make it possible for anybody to advance. But you gotta get in.

If we get to 9 and 9 we need a parade. 8 and 10 would be a miraculous achievement in my opinion.

Top Bottom