Pitino Accomplishment

Gopherguy0723

Reaction score
If you're inclined to believe that the Gophers had their best season last year under Tubby Smith, you'll be heartened to know that Richard Pitino has more Big Ten road victories in his first season that Smith did in his best season ever with the Gophers.

Let's keep up this somewhat surprising season by winning one more on the road and clinching our ticket to the Big Dance. Go Gophers!

If you're inclined to believe that the Gophers had their best season last year under Tubby Smith, you'll be heartened to know that Richard Pitino has more Big Ten road victories in his first season that Smith did in his best season ever with the Gophers.

Let's keep up this somewhat surprising season by winning one more on the road and clinching our ticket to the Big Dance. Go Gophers!

From this post, you only got 2 replys from your friends in your anti-Tubby Mafia. What is the point of this post?

Our Lil Gophers are certainly on track. They've blown my expectations out of the water for this year.

Pitino's B1G winning percentage (sample of 13 games) is currently better than Tubby's 6-year run.

I am ready to say that we didn't take any appreciable steps backward with the Pitino hire. Agree/disagree?

Best season as in we advanced farther in the NCAA tournament that year than in any of his previous years (or the previous 20+ years of Gopher basketball). It was also the worst conference road record we had in any of Tubby's 6 years. I would also point out that we did not have a road game last year against last place 2-16 Penn State, whom we beat at home by 29. I think there was only one other year with Tubby in which we got fewer than 3 Big Ten road wins. Part of what made last season decent was a nice home Big Ten record of 7-2 which Pitino seems unlikely to match this year, though I hope he does as it would get us to 9-9 which SS seems to think is what we need to be considered a lock for the tournament.

I'm going to hold off until after the season to judge how it went. I will say, though, that I think Richard is coaching the hell out of this deeply flawed squad. They were talking today on 1500 how the Gophers have a better RPI at this moment than nationally ranked Louisville, and that just doesn't make sense considering the respective talent levels and roster balance, but it's true. The guy deserves a great deal of credit for what he's done so far.

Of course one can say that, sure we've exceeded expectations because we have DeAndre, Joey and Malik as newcomers. Well, in the college game, recruiting is part of the coaching gig. The job Pitino did adding pieces late (including almost Buckles) is right up there with Coach Greene in "Fast Break."

Not to take anything away from Pitino but this is also the worst the Big 10 has been in a long time.

Not to take anything away from Pitino but this is also the worst the Big 10 has been in a long time.

Huh? The big ten might be the best conference in college basketball this season. If it's not, it's definitely the 2nd best behind the big 12.

I disagree I think there's more parity in the middle and the bottom, but it's not as good as last year because it's not as top heavy. Certainly a btter league than it was in the Monson era when not once, but twice we failed to go dancing with a winning conference record. Heck Clem had two ten win teams that were sent to the NIT and now 8 wins seems to be the magic number for this year's squad

From a top end perspective you may be correct. But we were never challenging the top end anyway. If anything the 9 seed this year will be better than the 9 seeds have ever been in the past.

From this post, you only got 2 replys from your friends in your anti-Tubby Mafia. What is the point of this post?

You might know the answer to this question: Did Tubby's stool go with him to TT, or was it property of U of M Equipment Facilities? The reason I ask, is that I haven't seen hide nor hair of it this year.

In Tubby's six year run, the B1G ten was only elite in 2 or 3 of those years. The Big Ten was very average when Tubby took over.

I had a chance to witness Pitino's charisma first-hand last night when he was walking off the court. He saw me and my 7-year-old in our Minnesota gear and came over to shake our hands, bending down to talk to my son, asking him his name and saying "thanks for coming out tonight!" My kid wants to go play at the U right now he was so excited. I think that attention to detail and charismatic personality will ultimately pay great dividends on the recruiting trail (and winning more games surely won't hurt either).

Watch out, you have been attached by the mafia. I don't remember ever MSU losing at home to a bottom team in B1G. If B1G is the best or 2nd best conference in the US, that does not explain why Nebraska isn't a top 25 but crappy OSU team is.

I had a chance to witness Pitino's charisma first-hand last night when he was walking off the court. He saw me and my 7-year-old in our Minnesota gear and came over to shake our hands, bending down to talk to my son, asking him his name and saying "thanks for coming out tonight!" My kid wants to go play at the U right now he was so excited. I think that attention to detail and charismatic personality will ultimately pay great dividends on the recruiting trail (and winning more games surely won't hurt either).

It really did for 2014.

It really did for 2014.

Right. In a process where coaches spend years building relationships with kids, Pitino and his staff were supposed to come in starting in April and close the deal in a matter of a few months? That's not making excuses, that's simply reality. Post again in 2015 or 2016 and see where their classes are...if they're sub-standard then we'll talk, but to throw out 2014 as some sort of condemnation of his recruiting ability just makes you a troll.

How has this not been asked yet.

How tall is your kid without shoes on?

I disagree I think there's more parity in the middle and the bottom, but it's not as good as last year because it's not as top heavy. Certainly a btter league than it was in the Monson era when not once, but twice we failed to go dancing with a winning conference record. Heck Clem had two ten win teams that were sent to the NIT and now 8 wins seems to be the magic number for this year's squad

I think the Haskins teams ('93 & '96) as well as the Monson team ('02) with a Field of 68, would have all made it to Dayton. They were all that close.

I think the Haskins teams ('93 & '96) as well as the Monson team ('02) with a Field of 68, would have all made it to Dayton. They were all that close.

Clem probably would have made the Big Dance more if they used today's selection methods.

Right. In a process where coaches spend years building relationships with kids, Pitino and his staff were supposed to come in starting in April and close the deal in a matter of a few months? That's not making excuses, that's simply reality. Post again in 2015 or 2016 and see where their classes are...if they're sub-standard then we'll talk, but to throw out 2014 as some sort of condemnation of his recruiting ability just makes you a troll.

It is great to be optimistic. Keep it up.

1996 certainly. It was either us or Tulane in next.

I don't remember ever MSU losing at home to a bottom team in B1G. If B1G is the best or 2nd best conference in the US, that does not explain why Nebraska isn't a top 25 but crappy OSU team is.

C'mon, you're really not that stupid, are you?

1) Michigan State's Big Ten title team in 2009 lost games at home to BOTH Northwestern and Penn State. That same MSU team beat Tubby's Minnesota club 76-47 in East Lansing.

2) Nebraska, as of right now, is NOT a bottom feeder. They are 6th place.

3) Ohio State is ahead of Nebraska in the standings and has a much better overall record, so why wouldn't they be ranked ahead of Nebraska?

Why don't you stay on the Texas Tech board?

Top Bottom