Gophers struggling with Iowa

MRJ

Reaction score
Gophers' problems from Tuesday are carrying over to today's game. Iowa scores right away in the first and now leads 3-1 in the bottom of the fifth. The Gophers' offense hasn't been good for more than a week now and it's continuing against the Hawkeyes.

I'd love to see what our leadoff hitters are batting over the past few weeks. It feels like we haven't been getting the leadoff man on at all for a long while now. A lot of our guys also seem over anxious at the plate and record tons of first-pitch outs, which is really frustrating. :mad:

Better figure it out because the way our offense is performing, it's going to be tough to win any games regardless of what kind of competition we're facing.

Gophers get 2 in the 7th to pull off a comeback win. It's good to win the games we should and we should not lose at home to Iowa. I expect a sweep this weekend.
________
125 S

Yeah, it was a good job by the guys to stick with it and get a win tonight. I'm still concerned about the offense, but the pitching for the most part has been very solid all year long.

I'm also concerned about the hitting. In college baseball you need to score a lot of runs with the allunimium bats. We have a problem at pitching and that is the 4th starting pitcher slot. Everyone we have tried has struggled. I was thinking they should put Lubinsky there, but the coaches must like him out of the pen.

I could eventually see Lubinsky work his way into the rotation, possibly as early as next season. He's nothing if not dependable and our other guys who have tried that No. 4 slot have really struggled for the most part.

Having said that, I'm glad we'll have big Seth and Lubinsky around heading into next season regardless. Need to find a couple more reliable starters between now and then.

Top of the 3rd, MN leading 13-3. Offense must be humming today!

It's getting worse and worse, or better and better if you will!!!!:D The Gophers are putting an epic beatdown on the Hawkeyes this afternoon. They're still batting in the bottom of the third and lead it 23-3. That's right, 23-3 in the third!!!!:eek::eek: I would go through all the relevant stats, but it would take all day. To sum up, the Gophers have hit three homers....in the third inning alone. That kind of gives you an idea of how this game has been going.

I guess I should be concerned about the offense more often!!!:D:D

Seriously though, it's getting really ugly. Iowa's pitching has issued lots of walks and the Hawkeyes have committed five errors in just under three innings of play. YIKES!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I was at the game, but left after the third. wow is all you can really say, now Iowa was pretty bad but we also we're smoking the ball plus the wind was blowing out. Sounds like Ohio St is about to sweep Michigan and Illinois already won so we needed this. Indiana did lose.

It's 25-9 in the top of the eighth. Buske had a solid outing, then Bechstein came in and gave up his customary slew of runs. Tim Ryan is now in.

Offensively, the Gophers have 19 hits for the day and Iowa has committed seven errors.

At this point, you kind of just want to get through the game and hopefully get the sweep tomorrow!!!!:D:D

In going off what Johnny was saying, I think Indiana played a double-header today. I know Purdue beat them something like 15-8 in the first game. Not sure what's happening or even if there is a second game today, but I thought I had read that there was.

Well, that's it. Gophers win 26-9 with Tim Ryan pitching the final 1.1 for Minnesota.

As a team, the Gophers pounded out 21 hits with four homers for the game. Minnesota also ties a team record for runs scored in a game, equaling the 26 runs they scored against Hamline several years ago. Buske gets the win, going five innings and giving up three runs to up his record to 7-3. Mike Jacobs takes the loss for Iowa. The Hawkeyes had seven errors, 13 walks, six wild pitches and five passed balls for the game. :eek::eek:

Nice to see the bats come around right after I had talked about how concerned I was about the offense. :p:p

Now big Seth and guys can go for the sweep!!!

Gophers got the sweep over Iowa today by downing the Hawkeyes 12-3 on Senior Day. Big Seth was strong today, striking out seven in 6.2 innings of shutout pitching. Cullen Sexton and Tyler Oakes finished up. Offensively, Nick O'Shea had a big game for the Gophers with three hits including a homer and a double.:clap::clap:

At 30-13 overall and 13-4 in the Big Ten, the Gophers also move up to second place in the league after Ohio State got beat by Michigan 9-2 in Columbus this afternoon. Indiana got beat by Purdue 5-2 and at last look Illinois was up on Northwestern 8-0, so it looks like the Gophers will be in sole possession of second at the end of the day.

Minnesota will host NDSU on Tuesday, which will undoubtedly lead to another appearance from LakesBison sometime soon. Then its off to Ann Arbor for a big series with the Wolverines.

Seth was smoking them in there today and looked really strong, he could have gone longer but why waste it when you are comfortably ahead. McCallum and Kvasnicka, as usual, smacked the ball around pretty good today and as MRJ said, OShea pounded his 7th HR of the season, I wonder whats the Gopher record for freshman Home Runs.

Good come from behind win on friday and crushed the ball the past two days, need to keep it going. Take care of business on Tuesday against the Fighting LakesBisons and on to Michigan. I would say we need to win 2 of 3 at Mich, which won't be easy.

talk about the winner of the "most mis-leading thread title of the year award"

the gopher baseball team made the hogeyes their bitch last weekend! nice work.

Yeah, the thread was referring to the fact that the Gophers trailed Iowa 3-1 in game one at the time. They then rallied nicely for a win and rolled the Hawks from there. :D:D

In the future, I'll try not to be such a downer with baseball threads!!!:p;)

It did prove to be rather ironic though huh? :clap::clap:

Top Bottom