RPI Rankings

I would have to take Pitino Sr. In that match up. That kind of rip will be hard to leave out of the tourney.

8-10 + BTT loss & Gophers will be looking at 60ish.

Big game Wednesday.

Big Ten 8-10 at 18-12 overall puts us around 45 for RPI.

Win one, lose one and they are 19-13 with an RPI of about the same.
Crazy how if they end up 18-13 they are at 60.

What is your basis for suggesting this? We're currently #33 and if we win the two games we're supposed to (both top-100ish RPI teams), I don't see how we'd likely drop much (if at all) going into the BTT, since our 3 presumed losses would be two top 20 (Mich and OSU) and one top 30 (Iowa, maybe top 20 by end of yr). And one first round loss in the BTT isn't likely to drop us 15 or 20 spots in the RPI, is it? [I realize other games besides ours affect RPI, though not sure how you'd project those into our RPI].

So which game(s) do you see causing us to fall?

No way. Absolutely no way the math ends up like that.

I don't pretend to be an RPI expert, but it seems very unlikely that going 2-4 from this point would cause us to drop 27 spots. We're 2-4 since the 1st Wiscy game and I think we've fallen from about 24 to 33. That said, there's no sense arguing it with him, it's one of his many pet things that he's an 'expert' on.

Big game Wednesday.

It's posts like these and the one about Welch being a better point guard than Mathieu that make me wonder if you even watch basketball.

It's posts like these and the one about Welch being a better point guard than Mathieu that make me wonder if you even watch basketball.

I just question why he posts here. What is the point? It's like you're ***********s stepbrother.

Big game Wednesday.

No way they would fall all the way to 60. If Gophers finish 8-10 in the B1G I believe they are pretty secure in making it to the dance. Weak bubble this year.

No way they would fall all the way to 60. If Gophers finish 8-10 in the B1G I believe they are pretty secure in making it to the dance. Weak bubble this year.

He was way off last year with a similar projection. 10+ points off.

He was way off last year with a similar projection. 10+ points off.

Nope, your memory is way off.

Most of you don't understand the intricacies of the RPI calculations. There is a lot of downward pressure on the Gophers' RPI.

Ignorance is bliss, or so I've heard. You guys do seem happy!

image.php

Gopher Warrior
LateNightHoops.co
BANNED

We can only hope.

Is he still on GH Staff?

I hope not. That would be like the owner of Gold Country being a Badger Fan. Oops, I guess that's true, too. What level of Purgatory are we in again?

I guess I don't understand how the RPI works then. I don't see how losing at #'s 15 & 16 and at home to #24 moves us down that far, especially after moving up 8 spots after beating Northwestern. Is that assuming every other team in the top 60 wins as many games as possible? I'd assume our SOS of 4 is factored fairly heavily. Our SOS should easily end up top 10, if not top 5.

Maybe GW could explain what exactly is the downward pressure on their RPI??

I guess I don't understand how the RPI works then. I don't see how losing at #'s 15 & 16 and at home to #24 moves us down that far, especially after moving up 8 spots after beating Northwestern. Is that assuming every other team in the top 60 wins as many games as possible? I'd assume our SOS of 4 is factored fairly heavily. Our SOS should easily end up top 10, if not top 5.

Maybe GW could explain what exactly is the downward pressure on their RPI??

Balds - if I get home at a decent hour tonight I'll try to put something together at a high level.

One thing to remember - teams we play.. their RPI ranking doesn't directly affect us. The RPI is stupid, but its inner workings & relationships are complex.

Nope, your memory is way off. Most of you don't understand the intricacies of the RPI calculations. There is a lot of downward pressure on the Gophers' RPI. Ignorance is bliss, or so I've heard. You guys do seem happy!
Nope I remember quite well listening to you backpedal from your original estimate. You surprisingly never owned up to it. Edit: I thought you said if we win first, lose second in the BTT like FTF said, we'd be at 60. One and done in the BTT at 8-10 we would slide to around 60. That first round would be an RPI killer. Make it to the second round and we are in solid. 3 more wins including the BTT.

Balds - if I get home at a decent hour tonight I'll try to put something together at a high level.

One thing to remember - teams we play.. their RPI ranking doesn't directly affect us. The RPI is stupid, but its inner workings & relationships are complex.

It's math.
You don't have to make it sound like it's the most complex thing in the world.

Without having to be much more detailed than that, explain other than by looking up an RPI calculator that tells you it will be 60, how you know it will be 60.
Better yet, rather than give us the RPI ranking, just give us a ballpark of the rating itself. Will it be 0.5888? 0.5567? What will the actual score be because that would be easier to predict than the ranking itself because #61 might win their last game moving them up to #60 or #59.

Facts

It's math.
You don't have to make it sound like it's the most complex thing in the world.

Without having to be much more detailed than that, explain other than by looking up an RPI calculator that tells you it will be 60, how you know it will be 60.
Better yet, rather than give us the RPI ranking, just give us a ballpark of the rating itself. Will it be 0.5888? 0.5567? What will the actual score be because that would be easier to predict than the ranking itself because #61 might win their last game moving them up to #60 or #59.

As I am curious as to the math GW used to come up with "60-ish", I curious how you come up with 45.
Thanks

As I am curious as to the math GW used to come up with "60-ish", I curious how you come up with 45.
Thanks

Be wary of any math GW shows (or anyone else).. as showing a snapshot from a larger formula (its a pretty dynamic formula that changes based on outcomes of all teams, although the more games played, the less the swing. At any rate, any point can be made with math.. so unless we all understand the formula (not cliff notes version) its pointless to show the math IMO.

I also disagree with GW as to his guess. You can easily access a lot of predictor websites for RPI. None are perfect but they are all using the basic RPI formula (greater weight for Road V Home win, record, opponents record). Most of what I saw shows the Gophers between 45 and 50 using his scenario. Based on remaining scheduled, the predicted regular season RPI is close to 40.. that said, its all speculation.. almost impossible to actually predict, but you can get close I suppose.. as said earlier.. Its math :)

As I am curious as to the math GW used to come up with "60-ish", I curious how you come up with 45. Thanks

At 8-10, It's about 45 if we win the first game in the tourney, 60 if we lose. Facts said the same thing. Big swing losing to a 100+ RPI team.

At 8-10, It's about 45 if we win the first game in the tourney, 60 if we lose. Facts said the same thing. Big swing losing to a 100+ RPI team.

8-10 & lose in the BTT MN projects to around 60. That's exactly what I said.

However... the other team's RPI has no direct effect, so the comment on a 100+ Opponent is off - it depends in their unadjusted W-L and their opps' opps' record.

Anyway, glad to see someone who isn't afraid to agree with me.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies...damned lies...and statistics."
Mark Twain

"There are three kinds of lies: lies...damned lies...and statistics."
Mark Twain

Cute, but it's not an original Twain quote.

Rouser (& the Disraeli quote above) hit on something important though... to understand the statistics & math, a comprehensive understanding is often necessary. Most people lack a thorough understanding if RPI & this make remarks that are far off base.

8-10 & lose in the BTT MN projects to around 60. That's exactly what I said.

However... the other team's RPI has no direct effect, so the comment on a 100+ Opponent is off - it depends in their unadjusted W-L and their opps' opps' record.

Anyway, glad to see someone who isn't afraid to agree with me.

:rolleyes: RPI Rankings have an inverse relationship with WP, OWP, and OOWP. There is a reason they have a 100+ RPI.

Anyways, Face the Facts agreed with you in the post right after yours. Losing to a high seed in the first round of the BTT would do some major damage.

Isn't the RPI in direct correlation with strength of schedule and record? I thought I heard coach talking about that last night when they were discussing it on his show.

Top Bottom