GAME #27: Gophers (17-9, 6-7) v. Illinois (14-12, 3-10) [BTN, 2/19, 8:00PM]

GopherinPhilly

Reaction score
With the ups and downs of our team and our struggles on the road, we must beat Illinois on Wed.

I don't know what it is, but something about that team scares me, and I have been scared of this matchup all year, they just seem like a team who can light it up if they are on with their shot, feel like they are do for a good game, hoping I'm wrong and its all just in my head

I have watched every team in the B1G multiple times this year. If there was ever a team we should beat with relative ease at home, its this Illinois team. Looks like a group of kids playing AAU trying to one up each other.

I have watched every team in the B1G multiple times this year. If there was ever a team we should beat with relative ease at home, its this Illinois team. Looks like a group of kids playing AAU trying to one up each other.

I haven't seen the Illini for a full game, but they do have a guy, Rice, I think, who can take over a game. Any team with a guy like that is always a threat. See the big scorer at Nebraska who dropped 35 or so on us for an example.

Personally, I hate these games the most. We should win. It is a must win. But we might not win. Yikes.

Here's to Richard having them ready to play on Wednesday night. Verteran leadership (Hollins and Hollins) needs to step up and remove any doubt early. Always a risk of the Illini enjoying the spoiler role, too.

Just put the Austin / McNeil combo on whoever there best player is and they'll shoot 1 for 15 from the field.

Just put the Austin / McNeil combo on whoever there best player is and they'll shoot 1 for 15 from the field.

But nothing ever repeats or goes as expected. I did like the way McNeil guarded last night, though. Maybe he got in the head of Crawford, too.

I expect us to win but I am prepared for a close game. 12 of our 13 Big Ten games have been close- we just don't have the horsepower to run people out of the gym. So- we have to play well and I think we will.

The barn will be absolutely rocking. Theres no way we lose this game. I am also one that believes we will beat Iowa in there. That game will be the loudest we've heard that old place in years.

I expect us to win but I am prepared for a close game. 12 of our 13 Big Ten games have been close- we just don't have the horsepower to run people out of the gym. So- we have to play well and I think we will.

Its seems to me like its been less of a horsepower issue and more of a focus one. Anytime we start to get a lead to about 6-9 points, it seems like we start making avoidable, unforced mistakes, and giving it away. If we could just keep our heads in the game, I feel like we could blow one of these open. It sure we be nice to have a a stressless, wire-to-wire win against either Illinois or Penn State, just for the sake of my mental health.

Its seems to me like its been less of a horsepower issue and more of a focus one. Anytime we start to get a lead to about 6-9 points, it seems like we start making avoidable, unforced mistakes, and giving it away. If we could just keep our heads in the game, I feel like we could blow one of these open. It sure we be nice to have a a stressless, wire-to-wire win against either Illinois or Penn State, just for the sake of my mental health.

Yes. Purdue game was a good example. Should've been a blowout. Ironically, our "easiest" conference win was the one against #6 (RPI) Wisconsin without Hollins! Well, maybe not ironically, because we were dialed in.

was an issue during non conference games as well. We didn't blow out many teams, and if I recall correctly, we had starters playing a lot of minutes throughout the games when usually we would be playing some guys that needed development.

My excuse then was they are still learning the system and its easy to make mistakes when you aren't in 100% focus mode. Problem is, we need to be in 100% focus mode at all times in the B1G and that doesn't seem to be happening.

Yeah, I'm worried about this game too (more than PSU), because Illinois has some serious talent, and they're playing for their coach's job, I think.

Illinois just scored 39 total points against Ohio St...this being said they will eithr come in and light us up because they are due, or they will be the worst team we have played since A&M Corpus Christi.

I'd argue that John Groce is more punchable. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but he's over the top with his "I'm so intense!" sideline demeanor. Seems fake.

Very fake! His team by no way matches his intensity on the sidelines, no way its real. They can be turned over and forced to take horrible shots, I see a big win.

Yeah, I'm worried about this game too (more than PSU), because Illinois has some serious talent, and they're playing for their coach's job, I think.

I think Groce is safe for now, doesn't he have a couple of talented transfers sitting out this year? I also think Nunn will be a nice player for them

Illinois has won 1 out of their last 11 games. In the Barn, there's no reason why this should be a nail-biter.

The barn will be absolutely rocking. Theres no way we lose this game. I am also one that believes we will beat Iowa in there. That game will be the loudest we've heard that old place in years.

The atmosphere usually takes a small hit for 6pm start times. The place usually seems more lively for 7 or 8pm starts.

The atmosphere usually takes a small hit for 6pm start times. The place usually seems more lively for 7 or 8pm starts.

Yes. 8 o'clock starts ensures the place will be rocking. 6 o'clock start it takes awhile for the crowd to become fully engaged, if ever.

Every game's a must win until we get in the dance. Honestly that's the mentality they have to have.

Yes. 8 o'clock starts ensures the place will be rocking. 6 o'clock start it takes awhile for the crowd to become fully engaged, if ever.

I just think that the people who are there will be into it from the beginning. This will be the first game I miss all year. I got a feeling it will be rocking. It's such an important game and an educated fan knows to get loud and help their team. I agree it will fill up later than usual but the students will be there.

I just think that the people who are there will be into it from the beginning. This will be the first game I miss all year. I got a feeling it will be rocking. It's such an important game and an educated fan knows to get loud and help their team. I agree it will fill up later than usual but the students will be there.

The game is at 8.

I listened to Coach P on Gopher's weekly last night. He is not taking this game lightly at all and he's not going to let the team take it lightly either. He was calling for the Barn to rock like it did against ohio and becky.

I'm not sure if there is another thread regarding the weekly, but it was great to hear Coach talk. Two things that stood out. First, he said that the Gopher's defense has been very solid despite what Amelia says (yes, he called out Amelia). He claimed that the problem was that the kids would commit a foul late in the shot clock. Second, he talked about calling Elliot to get into the game and watching Elliot jump up, slip on his own towel and face plant on to the hardwood. He said it was one of the funniest things he's seen and he wished that the camera's had caught it. Thankfully Elliot jumped right up and wasn't hurt. Coach is great to listen to.

I listened to Coach P on Gopher's weekly last night. He is not taking this game lightly at all and he's not going to let the team take it lightly either. He was calling for the Barn to rock like it did against ohio and becky.

I'm not sure if there is another thread regarding the weekly, but it was great to hear Coach talk. Two things that stood out. First, he said that the Gopher's defense has been very solid despite what Amelia says (yes, he called out Amelia). He claimed that the problem was that the kids would commit a foul late in the shot clock. Second, he talked about calling Elliot to get into the game and watching Elliot jump up, slip on his own towel and face plant on to the hardwood. He said it was one of the funniest things he's seen and he wished that the camera's had caught it. Thankfully Elliot jumped right up and wasn't hurt. Coach is great to listen to.

He really is. As I've mentioned before, I really avoid coach shows because they're all the same coach speak song and dance. This one is not. Coach is informative, open and has a great sense of humor.

He referred to Mo's third foul as "the phantom call on Mo".

I hope he doesn't believe that the defense is any good, and that he's just sticking up for his guys. The defense is horrible. Avoiding stupid fouls is probably the most important part of defense, right after getting defensive rebounds. Gophers are bad at both.

I hope he doesn't believe that the defense is any good, and that he's just sticking up for his guys. The defense is horrible. Avoiding stupid fouls is probably the most important part of defense, right after getting defensive rebounds. Gophers are bad at both.

The 60 ppg against us the last 5 games says otherwise...

The 60 ppg against us the last 5 games says otherwise...

PPG is meaingless. Points per possession matters a lot more.

Opponent Average PPP in BIG play PPP allowed by Gophers
NU .878 1.013
Purdue .991 1.006
Indiana .973 .95
Wisconsin 1.122 1.18
NU .878 .81

So what the last 5 actually say is the defense was above average vs. NU on Sunday, about average against Indiana, and pretty horrible the other 3 games.

Top Bottom