Gophers basketball: Players buy into off-court training regimen

station19

Reaction score
"Shaun Brown loves to tell the story of Nazr Mohammed's transformation, after dropping 70 pounds, from a "huge girth" of a high school prospect to a future NBA center.

Brown was the strength and conditioning coach for Kentucky coach Rick Pitino 20 years ago. He cringed at the sight of the 6-foot-10, 315-pound Mohammed on a recruiting visit.

"I thought there was just no way this kid was going to play here," Brown, now the University of Minnesota basketball team's strength coach, said. "We really, really used to press and trap back then. That used to be 90 percent of our defense. Coach never did much zone or man. So the conditioning of it was so critical."

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_25153465/gophers-buy-into-off-court-training-regimen

It's not said often, but that was a really informative piece from Marcus Fuller. It will be interesting to see the strides the team makes in Brown's conditioning program by the time we play Louisville to tip off next season.

Great News!

It's not said often, but that was a really informative piece from Marcus Fuller. It will be interesting to see the strides the team makes in Brown's conditioning program by the time we play Louisville to tip off next season.

This should really give us an edge going forward; as no other schools have conditioning and nutritional programs.

This should really give us an edge going forward; as no other schools have conditioning and nutritional programs.

Well just like anything else, their are great/good/average/below average/terrible strength and conditioning programs. I would bet some schools do get an advantage out of their strength and conditioning programs while others are hurt by theirs. Elliott Eliason and Mo Walker have clearly benefited from having Shaun Brown involved with the program. I won't pretend to know where Shaun Brown ranks among strength and conditioning coaches, but I think it's fair to say he's had a positive impact so far.

Well just like anything else, their are great/good/average/below average/terrible strength and conditioning programs. I would bet some schools do get an advantage out of their strength and conditioning programs while others are hurt by theirs. Elliott Eliason and Mo Walker have clearly benefited from having Shaun Brown involved with the program. I won't pretend to know where Shaun Brown ranks among strength and conditioning coaches, but I think it's fair to say he's had a positive impact so far.

The fact that this is a story proves your point. Did we ever hear about previous coaches strength and conditioning programs? Was there a posterchild at any point during any coaches reign over the past 10 years that showed that kind of improvement? We can all agree that Tubby at least had some sort of program, we just never heard about it. Did he not sing about it? Or was it just not that effective?

The Lakers are a great example of this in the NBA. They have a dietician that runs a very different program from most teams. There are always varying opinions and ideas. Different things work for different people/teams.

The Lakers are a great example of this in the NBA. They have a dietician that runs a very different program from most teams. There are always varying opinions and ideas. Different things work for different people/teams.

Beer, lots and lots of beer, works for me!!!

Top Bottom