Bubblicious Weekend: Gophers continue to do things the hard way

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
The Gophers are now 1-3 in the month of February, without having played any of the Big Ten's clear-cut top three (Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa). I would not recommend getting swept by Northwestern -- albeit an improved Wildcat squad -- as a way of announcing to the NCAA Selection Committee, "Hey, we want to play in your tournament."

Thursday Bubbler Results
Wisconsin 78, #41 GOPHERS 70 (shocker, the Gophers lost on the road)
#44 Missouri 86, Arkansas 85 (Pig Sooey at-large hopes now on life support)
Pacific 89, #47 BYU 82 (not what Cougars needed right before crucial roadie vs. fellow bubbler Saint Mary's)
#51 Saint Mary's 69, San Diego 57 (sometimes this time of year simply is about avoiding the bad loss)
#57 Saint John's 68, Seton Hall 67 (Lav's crew survives and advances with ugly road win)

Friday Bubblers
#39 SMU @ Rutgers, 6 p.m.
Arizona @ #38 Arizona State, 8 p.m. (ESPN)

Saturday Bubblers
#45 Saint Joseph's @ La Salle, 10 a.m. (ESPNU)
Virginia @ #71 Clemson, 11 a.m. (ESPN2)
Southern Illinois @ #53 Indiana State, 12:05 p.m.
UMass @ #28 George Washington, 1 p.m.
Oklahoma @ #37 Oklahoma State, 1 p.m. (ESPN)
DePaul @ #56 Providence, 1 p.m. (FSN)
#49 Cal @ Washington, 2 p.m. (Pac 12 Network)
#54 NC State @ Syracuse, 2 p.m.
#36 Xavier @ Marquette, 3 p.m. (FS1)
#50 Tennessee @ #44 Missouri, 3 p.m. (ESPN2)
#62 Ole Miss @ Georgia, 3 p.m.
#67 LSU @ #85 Arkansas, 4 p.m. (ESPNU)
Fordham @ #42 Richmond, 5 p.m.
#68 Maryland @ Duke, 5 p.m. (ESPN)
#31 Kansas State @ Baylor, 6 p.m. (ESPNU)
#46 Stanford @ Washington State, 6 p.m. (Pac 12 Network)
#47 BYU @ #51 Saint Mary's, 7 p.m. (ESPN2)
#64 Florida State @ Wake Forest, 7 p.m.
#66 West Virginia @ Texas, 7 p.m.
Rice @ #76 Louisiana Tech, 7 p.m.

Sunday Bubblers
#39 SMU @ Temple, 1 p.m. (CBSSN)
Oregon State @ #43 Oregon, 2 p.m. (FS1)
#65 Nebraska @ Michigan State, 2 p.m. (BTN)
#41 GOPHERS @ Northwestern, 5 p.m. (BTN)
#55 Georgetown @ #57 Saint John's, 6 p.m. (FS1)

Weekend's Most Significant Bubble Games
Arizona @ Arizona State (Friday) -- Sun Devils surging, but resume could use a major scalp.
Tennessee @ Missouri (Saturday) -- Is there a 3rd SEC team that wants a bid? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?
BYU @ Saint Mary's (Saturday) -- Probably only room for one at-large bid from WCC.
West Virginia @ Texas (Saturday) -- Win this one and Mountaineers will have legit at-large aspirations.
Nebraska @ Michigan State (Sunday) -- February signature win opportunities don't get much better than this.
Georgetown @ Saint John's (Sunday) -- A little "old school" Big East, as both squads are on a roll.

Bubblicious with Friday results

Friday Bubbler Results
#30 Arizona State 69, Arizona 66 (Sun Devils now in great shape for a bid)
#38 SMU 77, Rutgers 65 (Larry Brown at it again)

Saturday Bubblers
Saint Joseph's @ La Salle, 10 a.m. (ESPNU)
Virginia @ #71 Clemson, 11 a.m. (ESPN2)
Southern Illinois @ #53 Indiana State, 12:05 p.m.
UMass @ #28 George Washington, 1 p.m.
Oklahoma @ #37 Oklahoma State, 1 p.m. (ESPN)
DePaul @ #56 Providence, 1 p.m. (FSN)
#49 Cal @ Washington, 2 p.m. (Pac 12 Network)
#54 NC State @ Syracuse, 2 p.m.
#50 Tennessee @ #44 Missouri, 3 p.m. (ESPN2)
#62 Ole Miss @ Georgia, 3 p.m.
#67 LSU @ #85 Arkansas, 4 p.m. (ESPNU)
Fordham @ #42 Richmond, 5 p.m.
#68 Maryland @ Duke, 5 p.m. (ESPN)
#31 Kansas State @ Baylor, 6 p.m. (ESPNU)
#46 Stanford @ Washington State, 6 p.m. (Pac 12 Network)
#47 BYU @ #51 Saint Mary's, 7 p.m. (ESPN2)
#64 Florida State @ Wake Forest, 7 p.m.
#66 West Virginia @ Texas, 7 p.m.
Rice @ #76 Louisiana Tech, 7 p.m.

Sunday Bubblers
#39 SMU @ Temple, 1 p.m. (CBSSN)
Oregon State @ #43 Oregon, 2 p.m. (FS1)
#65 Nebraska @ Michigan State, 2 p.m. (BTN)
#41 GOPHERS @ Northwestern, 5 p.m. (BTN)
#55 Georgetown @ #57 Saint John's, 6 p.m. (FS1)

Weekend's Most Significant Bubble Games
Arizona @ Arizona State (Friday) -- Sun Devils surging, but resume could use a major scalp.
Tennessee @ Missouri (Saturday) -- Is there a 3rd SEC team that wants a bid? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?
BYU @ Saint Mary's (Saturday) -- Probably only room for one at-large bid from WCC.
West Virginia @ Texas (Saturday) -- Win this one and Mountaineers will have legit at-large aspirations.
Nebraska @ Michigan State (Sunday) -- February signature win opportunities don't get much better than this.
Georgetown @ Saint John's (Sunday) -- A little "old school" Big East, as both squads are on a roll.

Ahem! (Regular FOX as opposed to FS1...and, MU should be considered!) :)

Both are in, but Creighton / Nova is the other BEast game tomorrow.. great game along with the Georgetown / St. John's game you listed... things are getting fun!

BYU over St. Mary's didn't help. I think St. Mary's was clearly out and now BYU may have snuck back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like that Richmond is holding firm even though they lost their best player to injury. Now 3-0 since losing him. I suspect the Spiders now have a real decent shot of remaining in the RPI top 50. The remaining schedule is manageable.

Missouri really strengthened its case this week, beating Arkansas and Tennessee, albeit both in Columbia. Still on the bubble, but looking a lot more solid.

Arizona State and Cal really helped themselves, as well. ASU gets a signature win vs. Arizona, and Cal gets a road sweep of the Washington schools. Cal just needs to avoid bad losses, and I think they'll be fine.

Quietly, some of the Gophers' nonconference wins (opponents) are having decent seasons and would appear to be threats in their conference tournament. Never hurts if a couple of your NC foes earn auto bids. ...

Richmond is 7-3 in the A-10.

Coastal Carolina leads the Big South with a 9-3 mark.

Wofford is 9-3 in the SoCon and has won 7 in a row.

South Dakota State is 8-3 in the Summit and appears to be North Dakota State's primary threat for the league's auto bid.

Even Texas A&M-Corpus Christi has had a good season in its conference, currently 10-4 with a real decent chance of finishing 14-4.

If a couple of those could win their conference tournaments, every little bit helps.

All that said, the saying goes, the good Lord helps those who help themselves. Well, the Gophers have to help themselves today. The reality is this is their last chance for a road/neutral win before the BTT starts. If you get swept by Northwestern and can't win in Welsh-Ryan, the least imposing Big Ten arena outside of Bryce Jordan. ... ugh.

19...The most winnable game we have left other than the Cats is Illinois. Iowa handled us pretty well in Iowa City.
When is the last time we've won in Columbus? If we go 2-2, you think 7-11 gets us in?

First and foremost my post was an opportunity to post a video of a great movie.:clap: It's a weakness I have.

As far as what my thoughts are:
8 wins SHOULD get us in this year(probably need to win one in the BTT). We have home games remaining with Illinois and PSU....those are games we win or don't deserve to go to the dance. We then need to win one more game to get to 8....the most winnable would be @ Northwestern or home with Iowa. In either case our life-line is getting rather short.

I am still of the thought that 7-11 doesn't kill us, but it really puts us on the edge and the BTT opponent would matter a lot more. At that point it is a comparison of the very worst and at best they would have to play in the first four.

The bubble again I feel is very weak when you are looking at teams like LSU and St. Mary's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am still of the thought that 7-11 doesn't kill us, but it really puts us on the edge and the BTT opponent would matter a lot more. At that point it is a comparison of the very worst and at best they would have to play in the first four.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At 7-11 we would almost certainly need 2 wins in the BTT, i.e. we'd need to pull off an upset over probably MSU, Michigan or Iowa in the quarterfinals.

Top Bottom