BTN's Tom Dienhart: What Gophers need for an NCAA bid

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dienhart:

The Gophers should punch their Big Dance ticket by going 8-10 in the Big Ten, which is considered by most to be if not the best than the second-best (Big 12 No. 1) conference in the nation. So that means Minnesota needs to finish the regular season by going 3-4 in its final seven tilts. And, that’s doable—even with a loss tonight to the Badgers.

No doubt, an 8-10 league mark followed by one triumph in the Big Ten tourney figures to make Minnesota a lock for the NCAA tourney. That would make Pitino’s club one of the bigger surprises in the nation. Who thought Minnesota was a tourney team back in October? Exactly.

http://btn.com/2014/02/13/dienhart-what-gophers-need-for-an-ncaa-bid/

Go Gophers!!

Elliason needs to step up, the rest need to stay healthy

At 7-11 in the Big Ten they have a chance. 8-10 they are in no doubt.

Many other bubble teams are choking it away which gives the Gophers a chance at 7-11 provided we don't have a ton of upsets during Mid-Major tournaments.

They have slim chance at 7-11. I doubt we make it with that record. 8-10 puts us in. It's a one game swing.

Let's just go 9-9 and call it a day.

It's very interesting that the longest active winning streak in the B1G is a paltry 2 games. What a meat grinder of a conference.

The way I see it (including the BTT):

0-2 More Wins = Out
3 Wins More Wins = Slip in, 11 or 12 seed
4 More wins = 10 or 11 seed
5 More Wins = 8 or 9 seed
6 More Wins = 7 seed at the lowest
7+ More Wins = 6 seed at the lowest

It's very interesting that the longest active winning streak in the B1G is a paltry 2 games. What a meat grinder of a conference.

I am flying to Madison right now and plan on doing my part to make it so tonight BarnBoy.

Nine wins including the BTT. If they only get 8 total including the BTT, they would deservedly be on the bubble, and I would have no heartburn about them being excluded.

Yep. Under 9 wins may still get us in but it would be pretty disappointing IMO. Winning all 3 of @Northwestern, vs Illinois, and vs Penn State shouldn't be too much to ask. Then go 1-3 in the remaining games. Do that and I'll be happy. I don't want to have to play in a play-in game as a #12 seed.

This.

Beat NW, PSU and Ill- Win 1 of the other 4, that's the formula. Tonight is a bonus game- winning it is HUGE losing just means you have to go beat NW for sure (don't want to slip to 5-8)

Okay...

We can all hope for more wins... that's fine, but this year 8-10 Big Ten, the Gophers will be in.

Top Bottom