The Good, The Bad and The Interesting: The We Gotta Take Care of Business Edition

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The Good, The Bad and The Interesting: The We Gotta Take Care of Business Edition
By zipsofakron

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/349410?referrer_id=388419

The gauntlet that came with the beginning of the conference season was fantastic, but it was the “easy” part of the conference schedule that left us scratching our heads. How could a team that beat Wisconsin, Ohio State and took Michigan State to overtime fall victim to the likes of Nebraska, Northwestern and Purdue? It’s a problem that the Gophers have faced all season, for better or for worse, which is playing up or down to the competition. With the exception of the Iowa thrashing, all of Minnesota’s conference games have been close, and they’ve been as painful as they’ve been heartening.

But with the breathing room they gave themselves with unexpected victories over OSU and Bucky quickly squandered with borderline inexcusable losses against some of the conference’s most inept teams, the Gophers now find themselves in the thick of the Big Ten race, with a potential NCAA Tournament invite in the balance. The good news is that by all accounts the Gophers have done enough to make the tournament if the season ended today. The bad news is that they aren’t far from the chopping block. And with four of the final seven games against teams ranked in the Top 25, it’s not like the stretch run will be a walk in the park, and their margin for error is slim if they’re unable to steal a victory against the best in the conference. Can they do some more damage against the major players? It certainly won’t be easy, as they go on the road for three of the four attempts.

The Indiana victory helps tremendously, but if the Gophers want to stay in the postseason conversation they need to take care of business against the teams they should beat, which means handling Northwestern, Illinois and Penn State. Sounds easy enough, right? We’ll see.

GOOD: Holy Mo Walker!

In what has been the biggest surprise of the season this side of Deandre Mathieu, Mo Walker is showing folks that he’s to be taken seriously as a Big Ten forward. And, really, the transformation has been significant. Consider that in a single calendar year we’ve seen Walker evolve from a troubled, overweight, underachieving underclassman to a powerful, agile, double-digit scoring threat in the heart of the conference schedule.

And it’s not like he’s had one-off games where he’s shown the ability to have a big performance; the evolution has been stark. In fact, after going nine games without scoring in double digits or pulling down more than five rebounds, he’s now scored 14 or more points in four of five games and grabbed five or more rebounds in five of his last six games. That’s quite the turnaround.

His numbers, while impressive, are only half the story. We know that his offseason consisted of huge weight loss, but a big story coming into the season was how that would affect his mechanics on the court. And for most of the season it seemed like Walker was just a thinner version of his previous self – weak with the ball, kinda soft, and not really great at getting to the hoop. But then something clicked, and Walker looks like a completely different player. He’s confident with the ball, knows how to get around his defender, and has flashed some excellent footwork. And, coincidence or not, his minutes and Elliott Eliason’s are beginning to invert.

At this point it looks like the turnaround is a trend, and five games in a row of excellent performances are encouraging. The key will be seeing Walker remain a consistent scoring threat and post presence once teams realize that he’s legit all of a sudden.

BAD: But where’s Elliott?

Speaking of Elliott Eliason, he’s had a frightening transition of his own, falling from conference darkhorse to virtually the second option in the Minnesota frontcourt. Little more than three weeks ago, Eliason was a double-double and blocks machine, grabbing double-digit rebounds in four of his first five Big Ten games. But ever since his game against Iowa, where he ran into foul trouble and never really got going, we’ve seen his production and minutes drop. In fact, in his last five games he’s failed to top five points or five rebounds, while seeing his court time drop substantially. Perhaps not coincidentally, Mo Walker’s presence and confidence on the court has grown.

But what’s bothering Elliott? It’s unclear. We saw him go through a stretch early in the season where he picked up plenty of dumb fouls and couldn’t really get anything going on offense, which are two problems that have resurfaced recently. He’s still a blocks machine, but it’s clear that something is going on between the ears. For a heady player that tends to rely on momentum, Eliason needs to be on the court in long stretches to be effective. But when he’s seeing the bench early due to foul trouble and watching Mo Walker clean up, it’s not a boon for confidence or smarter play. The good news is that there’s plenty of room for this team for two big men, it’s just a matter of getting them both to play well at the same time.

INTERESTING: Malik Smith is who we thought he’d be

This might be better placed in the BAD section, but it’s not really all bad. Coming into the season, we knew that Malik Smith was a shooting guard who lived up to the name. Canning 96 three pointers last year at FIU, we knew that we’d have someone frustratingly special. Here we had a guy with unwavering confidence, and with that comes both good and bad streaks.

Up til now, though, we really hadn’t gone through a truly cold Malik Smith streak -- he didn’t have less than two made three-pointers in consecutive games until recently. And even in the midst of his current streak of missed threes, he still tossed in an 8-12 game against Nebraska, which was a ridiculous display. Unfortunately, he’s still just 5-26 outside of that game recently, and has hit more than one three-pointer just once in the past seven games.

Still, he’s fifth in the conference in 3PM and, honestly, he’s attempting LESS three-pointers than he did last season, by a long shot. In fact, he’s actually shooting better from deep than last season, which is a frightening prospect when you think about him being even MORE of a chucker. Has he been figured out by the rest of the conference? Unlikely. Shooters like Smith have up and down performances, that can come in bunches. He was a valuable bench player up until now and Richard Pitino knows what he has in Smith. And Malik has figured out how to score when he’s not hot from deep, as we’ve seen him convert in the paint and flash a decent ability to get to the hoop. All shooters go through streaks, and a professional shooter like Smith didn’t get this far without being able to bust out of a slump. He’ll be fine.

Good article. The one bone I'd pick is that while we all keep thinking of Nebraska as bottom dwellar, I'll bet by the end of the year we don't look at the @Nebraska loss as a "bad loss." The way things are developing, it's time to stop thinking of them as a pushover. Looking at the schedule, I think it's very possible and maybe even likely that Nebraska finishes around 9-9, sitting in 6th or 7th in the B1G and possibly could even make the NCAA tourney with a couple wins in the BTT. They already have 5 conference wins, 3 home games left that they very likely should win, and a toss-up with Wiscy in NE last game of the year.

Another good one, Zips. Agree with WanderingGopher that the Nebraska loss isn't a bad one. The fact that the Huskers have lost one game at home all season (by 1 point to Michigan) makes me feel not quite as bad about that one.

Northwestern and Purdue are another story, more so Purdue than Northwestern. Purdue, IMO, is the worst team in the league (no matter what the standings say), and they were begging the Gophers to beat them that night. Gophers didn't accept the gift. Northwestern was certainly a major setback, too, but at least the Wildcats came into that game on a roll.

"How could a team that beat Wisconsin, Ohio State and took Michigan State to overtime fall victim to the likes of Nebraska, Northwestern and Purdue?"

One bad ankle.

And what is your point?

I think the better point would be we would have lost to Nebraska even if Hollins played. If Hollins played, it's highly unlikely he replaces Smith's scoring. It's also highly unlikely Smith would have scored that many points or shot as well. Smith went into the starters' role with a "next man up" mentality.

I will readily agree we win the other two games.

I think the better point would be we would have lost to Nebraska even if Hollins played. If Hollins played, it's highly unlikely he replaces Smith's scoring. It's also highly unlikely Smith would have scored that many points or shot as well. Smith went into the starters' role with a "next man up" mentality.

I will readily agree we win the other two games.

It's very possible what you say of the Nebraska game is true. It is also very possible the team is better with Hollins in that game. There is no way we lose the other two with Hollins, which is why Zips question is easily answered.

Yes Hollins was back for the one game but he was a shell of himself.

I think the problem with Malik's shooting is his shot selection right now. Yes, he's a wonderful chucker at all times, but it seems lately more and more of his shots are coming with a hand in his face. He was more selective earlier in the year.

It is a little thing called home court advantage.

Against our rivals at home, others were able to step up against Wisconsin. Against a very inexeperienced Purdue team, we should have one without Dre. Wisconsin is a lot better team than Purdue, I don't see the debate?

My point is that one bad ankle does not explain winning against Wisconsin while losing against Purdue when we played both of those games without that player.

Malik is pressing with shooting under duress. That is fine when he is hot, but I agree when your not hot find other ways to score, which he has done on occassion, and done well.

I think the problem with Malik's shooting is his shot selection right now. Yes, he's a wonderful chucker at all times, but it seems lately more and more of his shots are coming with a hand in his face. He was more selective earlier in the year.

My point is that one bad ankle does not explain winning against Wisconsin while losing against Purdue when we played both of those games without that player.

I assumed that was your point but I wasn't sure.

Gopher team and most every player played their best game of the year against Wisconsin. Teams/players can not play their best game every game. Just because they played a superb game against one team does not mean they are as good without their 'best player'. Pure common sense.

Andre is one of only two players that can create their own shot. He is the leading scorer. He is the only back-up pg. He draws more fouls that most of the players. His absence weakens the bench immensely. If he's worth 2 pts a game that is two more wins. If he is worth 5 pts a game that is three more wins.

Top Bottom