Pioneer Press article on Henry Ellenson- comments on Wally's lack of PT

Part of me wants him to go out of state (ie not Wisconsin), but another part of me hopes he ends up going to Wisconsin and doesn't get the offensive freedom he (his parents) want and that his parents end up being a pain in the ass for Bo.

"I don't think that it's working in the Gophers' favor when (Wally) isn't getting any playing time."

Then Wally should start playing better. If this guy's criteria for picking a school is who puts his inept brother in the game to try to cater to him, then I don't want him. I want a player who expects the best players to play because he wants to play for a winner.

I'm glad they are more worried about Wally's playing time than the overall success of the team. Maybe the Gophers will get a 2 for 1 after the year. Neither Wally or Henry in Gopher uniforms next year.

to actually come out and make those statments speaks volumes. Not a bright move on his part, other teams will take notice as well...This team is going in a different direction and doesn't need either of them...

My completely unprofessional opinion of Wally is that while he is a tremendous athlete, he does not have the type of athleticism that translates to being a solid all around basketball player. Specifically, I noticed that his lateral movement is slow, and he is rather "soft" making him a total liability on defense. Add that to the fact that he has yet to display a high shooting percentage from beyond the arc (small sample size, I know), and a public confrontation with Pitino, and the writing is on the wall(y).

If he played 15 minutes a game, we'd likely see a few highlight dunks and blocks from time to time, but I suspect Pitino see's enough defensive lapses, and missed shots during practice to know he isn't going to see the floor until he improves.

The current question is how enticing the Gophers are to Minnesota's next Big Three, headlined by Ellenson, who is ranked No. 42 nationally in the Class of 2015 by Rivals.com and already has 16 Division I offers.

Uhhhhh... what am I missing here? He's from Wisconsin.

Buh, bye, Henry... Hope your future coach loves dealing with your helicopter parents.

I think it is fair to say we will have 5 scholarships available for next year and we will be better for it. That was a lame article. Jarvis' favorite school at this point is the Gophers and Alex has said positive things about the Gophers. It just had such an anti-Gopher slant that it was poor journalism. This is the most undermining family…what an bad apple of a mom…retweeting negative articles about your son's team. Incredible. We certainly don't need them…and Wally can't pack his bags fast enough IMHO.

At the Gopher/Badger game, outside of Bo Ryan, the three saddest looking people in The Barn were Wally, and his two parents taking up space in the front row of the family section. None of those three cheered at big moments, the parents looked pissed when we pulled away with the game. It's never their or their kids fault though. #WorkHardPlayHard

If Wally was able to do anything more than jump high, he may have earned minutes. That family is in complete denial if they think Pitino should be giving Wally significant minutes, even though he's nowhere near a B1G-cailber player. I would ask them this: would Henry have his signed LOI for Minnesota ready to go if Pitino did that? I highly doubt it.

The current question is how enticing the Gophers are to Minnesota's next Big Three, headlined by Ellenson

He has an offer from Minnesota and Big Ten rivals Indiana, Wisconsin, Purdue, Michigan State and Wisconsin.

Not only is a kid from Wisconsin part of Minnesota's next Big 3, but he apparently has two offers from Wisconsin. Really excellent journalism.

I don't blame the kids. Really, all of them are good ones. They are lead to believe they are far better and more important to a program than they really are. Henry is just a mouth piece of what he is hearing at home. Pretty sad, but as I mentioned when the Wally talk started last year and taking the red shirt off, his "handlers" are the blame for a lot of the "controversy" that comes up for him and his brothers.

Mr. Ellenson leaking the story out to Doogie that Wally and Pitino had an argument sums up this family perfectly. Oh, my kid isn't getting the playing time we think he deserves, so let's stir up some controversy and throw the coach under the bus and create drama on my own kid's team. The reality is, his kid just hasn't earned any playing time. I'd be surprised if Wally is on the roster next year.

Mr. Ellenson leaking the story out to Doogie that Wally and Pitino had an argument sums up this family perfectly. Oh, my kid isn't getting the playing time we think he deserves, so let's stir up some controversy and throw the coach under the bus and create drama on my own kid's team. The reality is, his kid just hasn't earned any playing time. I'd be surprised if Wally is on the roster next year.

I'll be shocked. Honestly, he may transfer to play ball. Realistically, the level he is at for track and field, he can go anywhere. He is on that radar deep enough that he just needs to show up.

I'd be more concerned if Wally was content with sitting on the bench, as far as I can tell he personally hasn't complained to the press or anyone publically, I still think he is going to end up making a significant contribution before he graduates, hopefully he is improving and will continue to improve.

The current question is how enticing the Gophers are to Minnesota's next Big Three, headlined by Ellenson

He has an offer from Minnesota and Big Ten rivals Indiana, Wisconsin, Purdue, Michigan State and Wisconsin.

Not only is a kid from Wisconsin part of Minnesota's next Big 3, but he apparently has two offers from Wisconsin. Really excellent journalism.

There's nothing wrong with the first part, and it's just a made-up label anyway. Henry has played for years on the Minnesota AAU teams, and Mpls/St. Paul is the closest metro area to Rice Lake, and the U is far and away the closest major campus to him.

Wally World is a track athlete. Period. End of story. He should stay at the U and concentrate on high jumping and getting a shot at the Olympics. If he transferred to D2 I'm not even sure he would be a full time starter. Not the best basketball IQ from the times he has been on the court.

I'd be more concerned if Wally was content with sitting on the bench, as far as I can tell he personally hasn't complained to the press or anyone publically, I still think he is going to end up making a significant contribution before he graduates, hopefully he is improving and will continue to improve.

Wally has class. His parents??? Nuff said.

Wally World is a track athlete. Period. End of story. He should stay at the U and concentrate on high jumping and getting a shot at the Olympics. If he transferred to D2 I'm not even sure he would be a full time starter. Not the best basketball IQ from the times he has been on the court.

+19...good athletic players don't get their jump shots consistently blocked from behind.

I am sure Wally is digruntled about his playing time. He is a competitor. The question is, does he think he is getting screwed. Two coaches, with two different styles feel he has some areas of his game that need work.

I am sure Wally is digruntled about his playing time. He is a competitor. The question is, does he think he is getting screwed. Two coaches, with two different styles feel he has some areas of his game that need work.

I smell a politician.:cool02:

Whether he is a competitor remains to be seen. Will he double his efforts to get more time or will he shrink? Really, only Wally is qualified to answer that question.

I think it is fair to say we will have 5 scholarships available for next year and we will be better for it. That was a lame article. Jarvis' favorite school at this point is the Gophers and Alex has said positive things about the Gophers. It just had such an anti-Gopher slant that it was poor journalism. This is the most undermining family…what an bad apple of a mom…retweeting negative articles about your son's team. Incredible. We certainly don't need them…and Wally can't pack his bags fast enough IMHO.

So because you perceive this to be "anti-Gopher" it's poor journalism? That may be, but I would bet if it was slanted in Minnesota's favor you wouldn't say that. Basically, slanting an article in any direction (non-column) is unprofessional. Objectivity is the key.

Uhhhhh... what am I missing here? He's from Wisconsin.

Buh, bye, Henry... Hope your future coach loves dealing with your helicopter parents.

Simple. Minnesota's next big three targets. For what it's worth, Rice Lake is closer to the Twin Cities than it is to Madison.

What a poor choice of words by Henry Ellenson. If I was Richard Pitino, I would keep Wally at the end of the bench to avoid any appearance of placating a high school recruit.

What a poor choice of words by Henry Ellenson. If I was Richard Pitino, I would keep Wally at the end of the bench to avoid any appearance of placating a high school recruit.

The Ellenson family is delusional, he would be sitting on the bench if he were playing for Bo right now too.

When Wally does play, I always feel like he is trying too hard. He seems to feel the need to "make a big impression" instead of just playing.

Top Bottom