Winning on the road in the big ten.

march madness

Reaction score
I was wondering why the gophers of the last decade have had such a hard time winning on the road? I know the Barn provides us probably a 10pt swing versus playing away.

I haven't done the research, but it seems like the teams that can pull out wins have either a guard or small foward who is athletic, a skilled ball handler for his size, and strong with the ball who can either get to the rim, or create their own shot. With the tough physical defense played in the big ten, and the way ref's swallow the whistle at the end of games, teams that have one or more of these players pull off more road wins. I havent looked but when we had Vincent Grier and maybe even Terrance Simmons I wonder if we pulled off some road wins?

Currently, I would say lil Dre and Dre Hollins are the closest thing we have but both are very short compared to some of the other teams finishers. Last year I would say only Dre H.

Mich ST has Appling, Harris, even Valentine has some ability there.
Mich with Stauskus, Levert, and Robinson.
Iowa is now getting road wins because Marble has become that guy, and maybe White.
Northwestern with Crawford, Cobb, and maybe even Demps.
Indiana with Yogi-small but strong and quick, and maybe robinson?
Purdue with T. Johnson.
Ohio st with Ross, smith, and at times Craft has pulled it out.
Wisconsin with Dekkar, Brust, and Jackson.
Nebraska with Pettaway.
If you disagree that is fine, it's just a theory. If it has validity, how can we get more of these players? There arent too many mcdonalds all americans on this list, so its probably more like developing some top 100 guys.

Clem always said that you need talent to win on the road.

Seems as though the better teams have more success on the road. Coincidence?

Station 19, Look at Northwestern, as a whole do you think they are a better team than Minnesota? My point is its seems to come down to those select perimeter players at the end of close games who have those attributes to pull them out. Are we high on anyone's list that is one of those type of players?

Station 19, Look at Northwestern, as a whole do you think they are a better team than Minnesota? My point is its seems to come down to those select perimeter players at the end of close games who have those attributes to pull them out. Are we high on anyone's list that is one of those type of players?

As the old saying goes; you win games with guards in college basketball. That goes for home and away.

Do you think coaches should recruit specific players to play better on the road, or do you think coaches should just recruit the best possible players?

It's about having good talent and being a good team. Both are required.

I think you put a priority on getting those guards and small forwards who can become those type of players. Post players are important throughout the game but in a very close game its those players who can catch and create, yet big and strong enought to shoot or finish with contact that pull out close wins.

As the old saying goes; you win games with guards in college basketball. That goes for home and away.

Do you think coaches should recruit specific players to play better on the road, or do you think coaches should just recruit the best possible players?

Top Bottom