UK unveils video and plans for $310 million "modernization" of Rupp Arena

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Rupp Arena and "Lexington Center," is set to undergo a modernization that will produce a bill in the neighborhood of $310 million.

Who's paying? The school and "partners," per the release. The announcement came in many forms, including a press conference by Lexington mayor Jim Gray on Monday afternoon. According to NBBJ, the architecture firm associated with the project, the building will actually be two parts: an upper and a lower level.

"In essence, the goal is to make Rupp a prototype for modern sports venues," according to the NBBJ release. "The lower levels will be re-clad in a highly-transparent glass skin reaching as high as 40 feet above the ground. A newly expanded main concourse will wrap around the bowl and have views to the city, while the fan experience in the bowl will be revealed with direct views from the concourse."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...rupp-arena-set-to-undergo-massive-renovations

Go Gophers!!

Good for them. They needed to do something to get on the college basketball map.

$300 million to, in part, give views of downtown Lexington? I've been to Lexington, that money would be better spent just rolling it back to Cal's player payroll.

$300 million to, in part, give views of downtown Lexington? I've been to Lexington, that money would be better spent just rolling it back to Cal's player payroll.

My folks have been in and gone through Lexington several times on their way to winter vacation in Florida. Let's just say they were unimpressed with the campus, Rupp Arena (went to a couple games there), and the city. I believe sterile is the word they used to describe all 3.

It makes sense why Slick Cal would have to pay those elite recruits to go there!

Top Bottom