Pitino calls Mathieu "almost flawless", talks about win, & bro in chicken costume...

GopherLady

Reaction score
Pitino calls Mathieu "almost flawless", talks about win, & bro in chicken costume...

Great locker room today, nice to see these guys get a win. When DeAndre Mathieu was being interview, players kept on yelling across the locker room "GOOD GAME, DRE!" Sid randomly kept on asking Dre about his recruiting, where he had offers from, why he chose the Gophers (twice) and asked Pitino about it too.

Here are my live notes, not verbatim, but you get the jist:

Andre Hollins:

I'm feeling about 90% right now. My trainer has been getting me right.
We've been close in every game. We did a good job, we took care of business.
We are one of those teams that learns from their mistakes really well and it showed today
We were due for one (win), and we've been working hard
We fix our mistakes, we fixed out mistakes from the 1st half.
I think at one point they were 2-13 against our man to man.*

Mo Walker:
On what Pitino told them at halftime: He said to come out confident, contain them off the bounce, and win the loose ball battle.
When Sid asked him if he'd given up - You never give up, every game is a big game for us.
I've got a big body, I try to take advantage of it.*
On the win - It was pretty big for my confidence, coach and my teammates give me a lot if confidence we're on top of the world right now.

DeAndre Mathieu:
We needed this one more than we thought, coach just stayed with us.
It feels good to finally get one (win)
I'm one of those players who loves to take the last shot.
Sid: How do you overcome your lack of height? Mathieu: I have ultimate confidence in myself.
On the Yogi Ferrel matchup - just like the Aaron craft battle, my family talks about it all the time. It's the competitor in me. This is the 1st home game they've (his family) ever been to.
On pressure because if he plays well, we win, if he doesn't, often lose - I love it, I put the ultimate pressure on myself.*
On his family being here: It really got me a little extra intense, the fact that they hopped on a plane for the first time meant a lot to me.* (His little brother took his 1st plane ride, ever.

Richard Pitino:
• That defense was far from atrocious. Our defense was great that's what won us the game. I have to give a lot of credit to our staff they did a great job with scouting.
• Mathieu misses a shot vs. NU and Purdue, but he comes back to hit that huge shot today.
• DeAndre made an unbelievable move to get to the rim, then he comes in traffic to get the rebound, he 5'9" 165 pounds, he believes he's 6'8", 230.
• I thought Elliott was great defensively. I think Mo is settling in to be one of the tougher guys to guard on the block. 7-11, and he's so big and wide and has great confidence right now.
• Mo has evolved - our offense has evolved to a low post threat since the WI game.
• Without Andre Hollins healthy enough just yet, we need to go inside, with him not 100%. Joey King is starting to get great confidence as well.
• Sid: (after calling Mathieu 5'7) did you see him play or just watch film? Pitino: I did see him play.
• On how Mathieu chose the Gophers : It came down for to us and Memphis, and Mathieu didn't want to play back up for the PG.
• If you look back to the 3 losses, Nebraska played great. Then you go to NU, and we had opportunies to win it, just didn't take care of business. I thought the Purdue game was the most together we played all year, we just didn't win it, we deserved it. When we lost a 3 OT game, at practice, they were so eager to play again, they know we're close.
• I believe in what we're doing, not just as coaches, but the players. They have great substance and they don't doubt themselves at all. They think, let's create our own luck. Our defense won us the game.
• I actually think it was more the front court that was better, we got some great stops at the end of the game. We did a great job on Yogi Ferrell, who was one of the great guards in our league. Anytime we needed to make a great stop, we did it.
• Michigan is like the last game of the season, or 2nd to last - I'm only worried about Wisconsin. What I like about our league, we've got great opportunities. We played well against them the 1st game. I know it sounds cliché.
• On his brother in the Chicken costume: That was unbelievable - a side note, he walked into my office 3 minutes before the game and said he needed to change. I asked him what he was changing into. He said a chicken costume and left. Allegedly he lost a bet, I don't know where he got it. I don't want to speculate and then be called a liar, good creativity from him.
• What drives this job is the fans. We have an unbelievable home court advantage, we've got a great college experience.
• I've got so much respect for Coach Haskins, whenever he comes back, he loves this place, he's eager to help in anyway he can.
• What I loved about tonight more than anything, is the fans were there when we needed them. The WI game was probably the best home court advantage I've ever seen.
• On his Dad being here for the win - I'm glad he got the chance to see it, hopefully we can celebrate tonight.
• Mathieu was almost flawless tonight, he was a walk on at Moorhead State 2 years ago.

I love these after home games - thanks Nadine.

Love that the team got this one when they could have let it slip away and probably would have in years past.

I think we are going to have Richard for a long time. He actually "gets" the Barn. I don't think Tubby ever did.

Great job as always. You bring us into the energy of the moment and the interviews - and I do enjoy the random Sid bits!

I've got so much respect for Coach Haskins, whenever he comes back, he loves this place, he's eager to help in anyway he can.

I'll just leave this right here. Discuss.

The Family Pitino, The Team, The Barn, GopherLady's Summary. It just doesn't get any better than this. Thanks all, from an old fart.

Thanks, guys and Lady Moonlight :)

It is SO much more fun covering post-game after a win, that's for sure.

Here are some Tom Crean quotes, my favorite was: "The bottom line is (Mathieu) is one of the quickest guards in the country, and he is that much faster when you reach."

On my Twitter, I also uploaded a few pics of other quotes from Pitino, Dre Hollins and Mo Walker.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Here are Tom Crean's post game comments. Doesn't regret not fouling late in the game. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Hoosiers&src=hash">#Hoosiers</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23IU&src=hash">#IU</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> <a href="http://t.co/PE2M1eSAgs">http://t.co/PE2M1eSAgs</a></p>— Nadine Babu (@NadineBabu) <a href="https://twitter.com/NadineBabu/statuses/432371750286798849">February 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thanks GL.

A quick note: Morehead St(Eagles)......not Moorhead St.(Dragons).

I think Richard loves Minnesota and wants to make his mark here. For that reason I do not see him leaving for a long time. He needs a power forward and a shooter to replace Malik Smith and next year will be even better. Hopefully Josh Martin is the power forward. Perhaps Vaughn will have 2nd thoughts.

"That defense was far from atrocious."

I love the subtle shot at Amelia.

Pitino loves to bring up Mathieu wasn't even offered a scholarship at Moorehead St.

YES!

The Family Pitino, The Team, The Barn, GopherLady's Summary. It just doesn't get any better than this. Thanks all, from an old fart.

Don, this might be your best post! I totally agree with your wrap up! Nice job!

Nadine, absolutely the wins are waaaay more fun but I enjoy your insight win or lose. Thank you!

Thanks GL.

A quick note: Morehead St(Eagles)......not Moorhead St.(Dragons).

I didn't realize they were spelled differently, thanks! I specified the Kentucky one in a tweet...I didn't even know it existed!

"That defense was far from atrocious."

I love the subtle shot at Amelia.

He did direct that at her when he started, all in good fun. He's got a good sense of humor!

Thanks for putting this together. Rich's brother dressing up as a chicken is hilarious. When Papa Pitino retires I hope their family comes to a lot more of the games. I was at the game but seeing how into it they were in highlights and stuff was pretty awesome.

I love these after home games - thanks Nadine.

Love that the team got this one when they could have let it slip away and probably would have in years past.

I think we are going to have Richard for a long time. He actually "gets" the Barn. I don't think Tubby ever did.

First, Thanks Nadine. Always a favorite read of mine. Almost as good as DL in football. :)

Yes, Richard does "get" the barn. Again, basketball is another awakening giant. Richard inherited a quality group of young men. He brought in whatever else he could find. When he gets his guys in here, we are a national powerhouse. Richard will be a legend, we better keep him. Thanks, Woody, Dr Kaler, Regents.

Let's get this humongous practice facility done. NOW!

On the Yogi Ferrel matchup - just like the Aaron craft battle, my family talks about it all the time. It's the competitor in me. This is the 1st home game they've (his family) ever been to.

What a great game for his family to see him in action at The Barn. Was really fun watching DeAndrie and Yogi go at it. Both a couple of super-competitive, cocky "little" guys. You could tell Ferrel was getting frustrated by the end, and the move to get the layup at the end was a thing of beauty.

I didn't realize they were spelled differently, thanks! I specified the Kentucky one in a tweet...I didn't even know it existed!

Didn't know what 'it' existed? This better be good.:rolleyes:

Thanks for putting this together. Rich's brother dressing up as a chicken is hilarious. When Papa Pitino retires I hope their family comes to a lot more of the games. I was at the game but seeing how into it they were in highlights and stuff was pretty awesome.

This was very cool for his dad and brother to be going crazy on made shots... his brother dropping the f bomb at the ref when he finally called goaltending.

For them to hear how crazy the barn gets when we are playing big time games here. Love it

Thanks again, GL!

I've been waiting for last night's defense to show up. Toward the end of the game, I KNEW they were going to get stops rather than hoping they would get stops. Now, if I just KNEW they were going to get the defensive rebounds...

I just can't emphasize enough how instrumental Mo's defense has been. They simply couldn't play him very much earlier in the season because of his matador defense. The difference between then and now is astounding. The transformation of Mo on offense is obvious, but it's just as amazing on the other end.

Thanks again, GL!

I've been waiting for last night's defense to show up. Toward the end of the game, I KNEW they were going to get stops rather than hoping they would get stops. Now, if I just KNEW they were going to get the defensive rebounds...

I just can't emphasize enough how instrumental Mo's defense has been. They simply couldn't play him very much earlier in the season because of his matador defense. The difference between then and now is astounding. The transformation of Mo on offense is obvious, but it's just as amazing on the other end.

I'm think he will improve that much more by next year also.

The importance of Mathieu was very evident when he left because of back pain at around the 4:20 mark of the 2nd half. McNeil took over the assignment of Ferrell. Too much of a task for Duquein. DeAndre is the only Gopher that is capable of staying with Yogi. He allowed the Gophers to be able play man for an extended period with success. Couldn't have happened without him on the court.

The importance of Mathieu was very evident when he left because of back pain at around the 4:20 mark of the 2nd half. McNeil took over the assignment of Ferrell. Too much of a task for Duquein. DeAndre is the only Gopher that is capable of staying with Yogi. He allowed the Gophers to be able play man for an extended period with success. Couldn't have happened without him on the court.

So true. Another reason why Andre H is better at the 2 guard.

This was very cool for his dad and brother to be going crazy on made shots... his brother dropping the f bomb at the ref when he finally called goaltending.

For them to hear how crazy the barn gets when we are playing big time games here. Love it

Agree, that was really cool. Beginning to realize that the Pitino family has an awful lot of personality, and I'm a fan. I wouldn't have known that before this year. Makes me want to cheer for L'ville a bit.

Do you have a link to any highlights showing them or would i have to search through the game archives on btn2go?

Agree, that was really cool. Beginning to realize that the Pitino family has an awful lot of personality, and I'm a fan. I wouldn't have known that before this year. Makes me want to cheer for L'ville a bit.

I've always liked Rick, but definitely cheer for him and L'ville much more now that Richard is here.

This....

With the barn rocking and the ability to control dribble drive because we were quicker at every matchup except against their big was the key to the 11 turnovers in the second half. I know why P didn't, but he certainly should have taken some pressure off when McNeil was assigned to Yogi.

By my calculations, we outscored Indiana 26-12 during the last 14:01 of the game. We were down 48-40 at that point.
Defense stepped up big.

Top Bottom