PP; Four-star wing Djuan Piper and three-star forward A.D. Gueye to visit this weeken

Jon

Reaction score
"Piper (pictured right), a 6-foot-6, 185-pound swingman from Seattle Rainier Beach High School, has four schools recruiting him the hardest right now with Minnesota, Washington, Gonzaga and Texas A&M.

The 6-10, 215-pound Gueye is from Senegal but plays basketball at Central Park Christian in Birmingham, Ala. He hasn’t narrowed his list of schools. But Minnesota joined Auburn, Memphis and Mississippi State among the programs to offer Gueye a scholarship last summer.
"

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...e-star-pf-abdoulaye-gueye-visit-this-weekend/

Pitino has made spring recruiting fun! I am looking for at least two new additions, despite only one scholarship available. We are recruiting at least 5 players right now

If we could steal Piper from Gonzaga and Washinton, that would be huge.

If we could steal Piper from Gonzaga and Washinton, that would be huge.

We have the edge on Gonzaga. It is Washington that we have to worry about. Pitino has an "in" with Rainier Beach. Hopefully it plays out!

Pitino has made spring recruiting fun! I am looking for at least two new additions, despite only one scholarship available. We are recruiting at least 5 players right now

I agree. But of the four or five names that are being kicked around, who do we have the best chance with?

Djuan Piper -- seems like a really good talent, but tough to beat Washington?

A.D. Gueye -- his name was kicked around in the fall, but he hadn't taken his ACT? I thought I read he was likely to stay in the South?

Kobe Eubanks -- we are on his final list of twelve, but I think that was really more just a list of the teams that have offered and/or shown some interest.

Anas Mahmoud -- a complete wild card. Seems like he will be getting a bunch of new offers soon. Not sure how realistic this would be.

Are there others that we are actively recruiting?

I agree. But of the four or five names that are being kicked around, who do we have the best chance with?

Djuan Piper -- seems like a really good talent, but tough to beat Washington?

A.D. Gueye -- his name was kicked around in the fall, but he hadn't taken his ACT? I thought I read he was likely to stay in the South?

Kobe Eubanks -- we are on his final list of twelve, but I think that was really more just a list of the teams that have offered and/or shown some interest.

Anas Mahmoud -- a complete wild card. Seems like he will be getting a bunch of new offers soon. Not sure how realistic this would be.

Are there others that we are actively recruiting?

Is Delshon Strickland in the mix?

Marcus R. Fuller ‏@GophersNow · 43m
#Gophers target Djuan Piper to DeAndre Mathieu“@Youngyoson3: And S/O to the homie @Drizzy_AttackM took care of me, Good looking bro ?”

Djuan Anthony Piper ‏@Youngyoson3 · 2h
Yoo Quick Visit Wish I coulda Came Friday but Thanks University Of Minnesota for a Great Game and A great Time, I had a Fun Visit ?

https://twitter.com/GophersNow

Ryan James ‏@RyanJamesMN · 21h
Abdoulaye Gueye on his Minnesota visit so far: "Very good, just looking at the campus and had a great conversation with coach Pitino"

https://twitter.com/RyanBurnsGI

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Djuan Piper on the Gophers-Hoosiers game: "It was probably the best college basketball game I've ever been to in my life."</p>— Matt Gravett (@GravettMatt) <a href="https://twitter.com/GravettMatt/statuses/432717959736225792">February 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Djuan Piper on the Gophers-Hoosiers game: "It was probably the best college basketball game I've ever been to in my life."</p>— Matt Gravett (@GravettMatt) <a href="https://twitter.com/GravettMatt/statuses/432717959736225792">February 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

That is what sells recruits. The Barn and the Crowd.

If a recruit can't get excited about this, then that recruit has to go somewhere else, like Minot State.

Wow. Can't ask for a much better quote than that. Maybe we have a shot with him now.

That is what sells recruits. The Barn and the Crowd.

If a recruit can't get excited about this, then that recruit has to go somewhere else, like Minot State.

And here I thought it was ugly and weird uniforms that sold recruits.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Wing Djuan Piper had great things to say about Minnesota trip (in GI article). Said he will schedule UW visit, make that visit, then decide</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/432725431528067072">February 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

if it counts for anything there has been a shift in the crystal ball for piper, with the last 5 predictions being minnesota

Does anyone know if the new recruits were able to meet Rick Pitino during their visit? Are recruits allowed to be in the locker room during the game (e.g. pre-game, half time and post-game)?

You ain't seen nothing yet, Djuan. Write that down.

To my limited knowledge, on Official visits, they are in the locker room pre-game, and post game in the locker room and then meet with Coach Pitino and/or Staff.

found this highlight of piper, not much else in terms of video out there for him

Well someone always transfers (probably Wally this year) so another scholarship will be freed up. Piper and Mahoud is the dream.

Well someone always transfers (probably Wally this year) so another scholarship will be freed up. Piper and Mahoud is the dream.

Yeah that is my hope as well.

Mason
Piper
Morris
Martin
Mahmoud

That would be a hell of a 5-player class. We'd have a lot more depth going into next year than we do this year.

Why would he transfer? He may quit basketball to focus on they high jump, but I'd be shocked if he transferred.

Why would he transfer? He may quit basketball to focus on they high jump, but I'd be shocked if he transferred.

I could see that or I could see him transferring to another school where he could get more playing time and still do the track thing. I just don't think we see him on the team next year and that is all that matters in terms of opening up another scholarship.

I think dropping basketball and transferring will have the same net effect of adding another scholarship. It would not surprise me if he did transfer and tried to doubleup again. He seemed pretty committed to doing it even after going through the cycle once. Full ride track scholarships are pretty rare, too. That may influence his decision.

Top Bottom