Mathieu needs to score more

Block M

Reaction score
He is the one player on the team that can get his shot at will and I think we would be better off with him in the 14-16 ppg range. That means more shots. Defenses are sagging on him and he is turning down a lot of 3 pt shooting opportunities that I think he should begin taking. Jason Williams for Duke had the lethal combination of being able to drive the lane and pop the 3 pt shot; lil Dre can do it too.

Agree on the 3 point shots. He had a 3 point look practically every trip up the floor last night, if he had wanted it. I would like to see him shoot from out there a bit more and judge the results.

Yep, seemed like every offensive posession in the 2nd half and the OT's I found myself screaming at the t.v. for Deandre to shoot that wide open 3 or even just inside the 3. But nope, he would dribble drive into touble and end up turning it over. Man it was frustrating to watch.

Agree.

Look to score more, but turn it over less. I know he doesn't like to hear about his (lack of) size, but Deandre needs to realize going into the lane with 2 or 3 trees surrounding him near the basket more often than not isn't prudent in the Big Ten. Pull up more and hit the mid-range J.

He needs to take some of those wide open 3's. He also needs to take an acting class. He take so much contact and gets almost no calls. I bet Bo could teach him how to act like he just got shot.

I just think DeAndre got a bit ahead of himself after his spotlight on The Journey.

He also needs to take an acting class. He take so much contact and gets almost no calls. I bet Bo could teach him how to act like he just got shot.

Or Andre. He's kind of mastered the flailing of the arms & legs when he barely gets touched (or doesn't) shooting a jump shot.

Deandre more than anyone has been screwed by the refs. Cost us a chance to win the NW game (blatant hip check) and he was hammered on what should have been an "and 1" near the end last night. The officiating has been ream job for the Gophers.

He needs to stop imitating JJ Barea and dribble less.

He needs to stop imitating JJ Barea and dribble less.

Yep. He doesn't make a decision quickly enough. That's why I think he'll be a very good player next season.

The fact is, this team doesn't shoot threes very well, they don't rebound well, and they don't defend very well. A competent PF would solve two of those three issues.

It's my feeling that if all our players scored 3-4 more points per game we would win more games.:cool02:

Dre M. shoot the 3!

What if I told you someone on the gophers is shooting over 50% from the floor, 48% from 3, and 79% from the line, you would assume it's Dre Hollins.

It is kind of funny on a team that is hurting for 3pt shooting, that we have a guy who is hitting almost 50% from there and the coach or most people haven't noticed and ecouraged him to shoot more? I would rather have him chucking up 5 a game than Austin that is for sure. Might have to have him run some off the ball when DRE H. is healthy.

Yes and acting lessons for sure. Usually the little guys get the calls I wonder what gives?

As for his turnovers he needs to not attack the lane when it is collapsed. He needs to hit some 3's and let the defender challenge his shot, then fake.

He needs to take some of those wide open 3's. He also needs to take an acting class. He take so much contact and gets almost no calls. I bet Bo could teach him how to act like he just got shot.

He is the one player on the team that can get his shot at will and I think we would be better off with him in the 14-16 ppg range. That means more shots. Defenses are sagging on him and he is turning down a lot of 3 pt shooting opportunities that I think he should begin taking. Jason Williams for Duke had the lethal combination of being able to drive the lane and pop the 3 pt shot; lil Dre can do it too.

Agree completely. Watching the game I get frustrated seeing him pass up open 3's...one of the results is that since he isn't allowing himself be a threat to score from outside, he's lessening his ability to drive inside because he allows his defender to sag off of him. Worse, his defender ends up clogging the lane more for the other Gophers' players.

Admittedly, this is one of the problems Tubby had - since he had few outside threats, teams sagged off the Gophers just daring them to shoot outside - and they wouldn't. Pitino should be in his ears making sure Mathieu shoots the ball.

Agree.

Look to score more, but turn it over less. I know he doesn't like to hear about his (lack of) size, but Deandre needs to realize going into the lane with 2 or 3 trees surrounding him near the basket more often than not isn't prudent in the Big Ten. Pull up more and hit the mid-range J.

Perfectly stated.

Score more, but first - first - turn it over less.

Completely disagree. His usage is too high already. He's trying to score more and that's partly what's driving the turnover rate up.

A good percentage of his turnovers come when we don't have numbers or when the lane is clogged. Until Dre H. is healthy we need more scoring.

Completely disagree. His usage is too high already. He's trying to score more and that's partly what's driving the turnover rate up.

He was better when he wasn't forcing sh1t, completely agree.

As I said, he's been scouted... He's gonna put his head down and dribble drive to the right, or cross over after a pick n roll. Collapse and double and he's screwed because he cannot pass over the top of you.

Facilitate the break, feed the post, and score when a big is out of the middle by blowing past your defender. All other instances, pass the ball.

His approach to scoring more is the issue, so I disagree.

Take the open shots and less driving to the hoop.

Recipe for greater success for Dre M.

His approach to scoring more is the issue, so I disagree.

Take the open shots and less driving to the hoop.

Recipe for greater success for Dre M.

Disagree here, also. He's not a good shooter. He's done very well shooting the ball - but he's not a good shooter from outside. (Yes, I realize what the numbers say.)

Disagree here, also. He's not a good shooter. He's done very well shooting the ball - but he's not a good shooter from outside. (Yes, I realize what the numbers say.)

Results, GW. It is all about results.

And right now the results when he shoots the ball are quite good.

Indeed - that's why playing Joey and Mo more made sense. If you frame them as platoons, EE/Oto are defensive, Mo/Joey are offensive.

I wouldn't say Mo is offensive. He's actually played pretty well. Joey is offensive to watch, yes.

I wouldn't say Mo is offensive. He's actually played pretty well. Joey is offensive to watch, yes.

You didn't like his 14 points and 9 rebounds? You didn't enjoy his 6 for 8 shooting? Weird.

You didn't like his 14 points and 9 rebounds? You didn't enjoy his 6 for 8 shooting? Weird.

Ya, and EE once scored 10 points too. Call me when Joey learns to stop traveling.

He's forcing the issue too much in the lane, he should be taking more three's at the rate he's making them

As my "numbers guy" you need to explain this to me.

He is 48% from three and 79% from the line. I realize those are only numbers but that strikes me as a pretty decent shooter.

Does Dre's shot look pretty? Does he look like a dead eye shooter? no. Has he suprisingly made a high percentage .. you bet! Until he doesnt make a high percentage keep shooting.
He makes a high percent while jumping high and floating forward 3-4 feet and he is still making them. I wouldnt fix it.

Andre being injured is driving up his turnover rate. Outside of Andre and Malik when he's on, most of the team sucks at scoring unless they receive the ball in a great position.

Please explain. He's been our most efficient shooter from almost everywhere. At the very worst, he's our third best shooter, but the numbers say otherwise. Apparently Mathieu is your new guy to pick on.

Top Bottom