Jalen Rose credits Voshon Lenard with starting the black socks trend

EG#9

Reaction score
I was listening to the Jalen Rose Report podcast this morning (available via Grantland.com or on YouTube, I think it was recorded 1/28) here's one link: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/grantland/player?id=10366974

Anyways, Rose says that Voshon was obsessed with wearing black socks and went so far as wearing black dress socks in games. Jalen followed suit and took the black sock trend to Michigan. Kind of cool that a former Gopher legend was responsible for one of the iconic trends of the 90's. If you are interested, Jalen states that he was the one who started the baggy shorts trend and it was due to his body type and wanting longer shorts (which most of us are thankful for). I found it funny that Jalen said he always wore a pair of his own shorts underneath his high school shorts so he could wear his HS shorts lower. I did the exact same thing in HS as our uniform shorts never got significantly longer if you went a size up, they just got wider. None of us wanted to be forced to wear a pair of "Stockton's".

Thanks for posting EG#9. I loved Vo, especially his sophomore and junior seasons.

Vo was really close to playing with a few of the Michigan guys either at Michigan or at Minnesota - all of their recruitments were intertwined. Some have thought that we were on the verge of landing Weber before the Vikings suite issue arrived, and I believe Steve Fisher wanted Vo as the 4th member of that Michigan class behind Weber, Howard and Rose.

Go Gophers!!

My memory says Vashon was not offered by Mich.

Some have thought that we were on the verge of landing Weber before the Vikings suite issue arrived.

No, the issue was that Clem apparently didn't offer enough cash to Ed Martin to funnel to Webber to get him to come to the U.

I like the black sox about as much as the white uniforms. I think they are scandalous.

Thanks for posting EG#9. I loved Vo, especially his sophomore and junior seasons.

Vo was really close to playing with a few of the Michigan guys either at Michigan or at Minnesota - all of their recruitments were intertwined. Some have thought that we were on the verge of landing Weber before the Vikings suite issue arrived, and I believe Steve Fisher wanted Vo as the 4th member of that Michigan class behind Weber, Howard and Rose.

Go Gophers!!

Bleed, could you be more specific on the "Vikings suite issue" and why it effected the Weber recruitment?

Bleed, could you be more specific on the "Vikings suite issue" and why it effected the Weber recruitment?

I may have some of the details mixed up, but we were reportedly in very good shape with Weber, he had been telling people that he was going to sign with us, he loved Clem, etc. Then he was shown at a Vikings game during his official visit sitting in a suite and that was a violation. We self reported it and had to back off our recruitment of him for a bit and Steve Fisher put the full court press on and the rest is Fab 5 history.

Go Gophers!!

You're memory is probably better than mine, but I thought they went after him but I certainly could have that wrong.

SportingNews: Thank Voshon Lenard, not the Fab Five, for black socks in basketball

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/sto...ot-the-fab-five-for-black-socks-in-basketball

Go Gophers!!

Trying to find a little info on this.

Interesting article on Jud Heathcote book that talks about how Mich St factors in on this.
http://books.google.com/books?id=Rk...e&q=voshon lenard basketball michigan&f=false

I may have some of the details mixed up, but we were reportedly in very good shape with Weber, he had been telling people that he was going to sign with us, he loved Clem, etc. Then he was shown at a Vikings game during his official visit sitting in a suite and that was a violation. We self reported it and had to back off our recruitment of him for a bit and Steve Fisher put the full court press on and the rest is Fab 5 history.

Go Gophers!!

So was it the violation that did us in or the dirty money?

So was it the violation that did us in or the dirty money?

Not sure how the dirty money factors in, but according to Clem, in addition to self-reporting the violation, Rick Bay ordered Haskins to suspend his recruitment of Webber for some time - perhaps for the duration of an internal investigation; just speculating - and Clem credits that delay to us eventually losing him off the hook. When Clem tells the story he sounds bitter. You can tell he fells Bay went above and beyond what the U needed to do, and that we still could have gotten Webber and potentially contended for a national title.

Not sure how the dirty money factors in, but according to Clem, in addition to self-reporting the violation, Rick Bay ordered Haskins to suspend his recruitment of Webber for some time - perhaps for the duration of an internal investigation; just speculating - and Clem credits that delay to us eventually losing him off the hook. When Clem tells the story he sounds bitter. You can tell he fells Bay went above and beyond what the U needed to do, and that we still could have gotten Webber and potentially contended for a national title.

Yeah, the 92-93 team would have really been something with Webber on it.

I had forgotten about that. Maybe Rick Bay should get more credit for the Fab 5.:rolleyes:

Go Gophers!!

Webber was at the Dome for a Gophers-Michigan State football game.

It was IZZO (edit: after reading the Jud book it turns out it wasn't but Mitch Albom reported that it was Izzo in his Fab Five book) that spotted Webber wearing a Gophers hat in the suite. I'm not sure who reported the violation, but I know at that point Webber swore off ever playing for Michigan State.

It's just another near miss for the U. Coulda, shoulda, woulda had Wooden, coulda, shoulda, woulda had Webber (and in turn possibly Rose since those two were best buddies and Rose played with Lenard). Of course none of it would have counted but it would have made the U into a brand and made it much easier to recover.

Webber was at the Dome for a Gophers-Michigan State football game.

It was IZZO (edit: after reading the Jud book it turns out it wasn't but Mitch Albom reported that it was Izzo in his Fab Five book) that spotted Webber wearing a Gophers hat in the suite. I'm not sure who reported the violation, but I know at that point Webber swore off ever playing for Michigan State.

It's just another near miss for the U. Coulda, shoulda, woulda had Wooden, coulda, shoulda, woulda had Webber (and in turn possibly Rose since those two were best buddies and Rose played with Lenard). Of course none of it would have counted but it would have made the U into a brand and made it much easier to recover.

I personally feel that Clem resorted to corner cutting out of frustration about things like this. Who knows, had things like the Webber recruitment gone his way, he might not have turned to the dark side of institutional academic laziness. Total speculation, of course.

I personally feel that Clem resorted to corner cutting out of frustration about things like this. Who knows, had things like the Webber recruitment gone his way, he might not have turned to the dark side of institutional academic laziness. Total speculation, of course.

Thinking the same.

Top Bottom