No charges in rape allegations at Dinkytown apartment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stan

Reaction score
The Daily has an article on an incident at Mav, Andre and Austin's apartment but according to the article the three are not considered suspects or witnesses.

Here is the article => http://www.mndaily.com/news/campus/2014/01/27/sexual-assault-reported-gophers-athletes-apartment

None of the three players — Andre Hollins, Austin Hollins and Maverick Ahanmisi — are listed as suspects or witnesses in the report. Their listed addresses match the reported location of the assault, but it otherwise wasn’t clear Monday why police named the three players in the report.

Watch for a breaking news report on Channel 9 coming soon. There does not need to be a story for them to make it news.

Oh goodie. We haven't had any terrible off the court news in a while.

Also Breaking: Elliott Eliason is not a serial murderer and Joey King is not a notorious bank robber.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Also Breaking: Elliott Eliason is not a serial murderer and Joey King is not a notorious bank robber.

Joel Maturi still to suspend both indefinitely until this can be thoroughly investigated by the UM Police Department.

So they protect the victim's name, don't release the suspects name but do release the names of three people who have nothing to do with the situation...wtf?

So they protect the victim's name, don't release the suspects name but do release the names of three people who have nothing to do with the situation...wtf?

Exactly. What's the point of releasing the players' names when you won't even release the suspect's name..smh

Sometimes I wonder if the daily has an agenda against the Ath Dept.

Is it the Daily or the police department? Wierd that they would make the connection with the players when they are not suspects. Not sure how the police report system works, but the whole thing seems odd and dragging the player's names into it could not have been an accident.

Is it the Daily or the police department? Wierd that they would make the connection with the players when they are not suspects. Not sure how the police report system works, but the whole thing seems odd and dragging the player's names into it could not have been an accident.

The police are definitely at fault, but I don't understand why the Daily would have to even publish an article about it. Or at least why they have to include the players in the headline of the article. I'd be pretty pissed if I was one of the three players named. Now whenever someone googles their name, there is a chance this story will pop up.

None of the three players — Andre Hollins, Austin Hollins and Maverick Ahanmisi — are listed as suspects or witnesses in the report. Their listed addresses match the reported location of the assault, but it otherwise wasn’t clear Monday why police named the three players in the report.

Is this a real article? If I was Mav, Austin, or Andre I'd be mad.

It also isn't clear if the address "that matched" the players', is the address of the apartment building or their actual unit number. It sounds like it was just the apartment building, which makes this even more ridiculous.

Sometimes I wonder if people on GH are a little too sensitive or paranoid. From the article ...

"but it otherwise wasn’t clear Monday why police named the three players in the report."

The police released the names, the Daily only published it. It's a training ground for journalists. That's what they do. Don't have any problem with it but I can see the players being angry. Although they didn't have to do it, there is also the scenario of somebody knowing about the assault and somebody going, "Say, isn't that where those basketball players live?" The rumors very easily could have started spreading although nobody on GH would be a participant in that. They were probably trying to get ahead of it even if it seems a poor call.

Is this a real article? If I was Mav, Austin, or Andre I'd be mad.

Freedom of the press. They get to say whatever they want no matter who it harms. Little discretion used any more. Until there is a story, there should be no story. So far there is no story.

Is the Daily still funded largely by student fees? If so, it is another layer of unaccountability, since they have no customers they have to respond to.

Remember when Royce White claimed the UMPD targeted him and treated him unfairly? An he didn't feel safe on campus thanks to them?

For all his faults, this makes me wonder if he may have been right about one thing. This is absolutely pathetic.

The "new" media being trained well...in what isn't newsworthy other to those involves, name drop to sell the story. No such thing as journalism anymore, only story telling.

An alleged sexual assault occurred in the apartment of three prominent scholarship athletes. You guys are nuts if you think this isn't news or wouldn't be covered in other media markets.

Do agree that the police shouldn't be naming names of tenants without naming name of suspect.

In the meantime, it continues to spread on GopherHole.

I wouldn't get too excited yet. It could well turn out to be simply a sexual insult.

I wonder if they would have even been home from Lincoln by this time (2 AM is when police were called). Probably not. Garbage reporting.

Not sure I get the hate for the Daily here...if someone found that police report with their address and all suspect names blacked out, everyone would assume one of the players was involved and rumors would run rampant. Guess I'd prefer to be cleared up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom