Penultimate month (February) has arrived for Gophers

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
With a mid-week bye this week, the Gophers' most troublesome month (recently) has arrived. The Gophers have an 11-25 February record over the last five seasons:

2008-09: 2-5
2009-10: 4-3
2010-11: 1-6
2011-12: 1-7
2012-13: 3-4

If the Gophers can simply go .500 (4-4) this February, that would get them to 8-8 and in good position for the NCAA Tournament, with Penn State at The Barn remaining as one of the two March games. Let's shoot for 5-3, but make sure the record's no worse than 4-4.

The February March to March
Feb. 1: Northwestern
Feb. 5: @ Purdue
Feb. 8: Indiana
Feb. 13: @ Wisconsin
Feb. 16: @ Northwestern
Feb. 19: Illinois
Feb. 22: @ Ohio State
Feb. 25: Iowa

@Purdue
@Northwestern I gotta think one of those isn't going to go our way.

Means we would need to pull out one of the 4 "maybes" on there @Wisco @tOSU Iowa @home for a chance at 5-3.

Feb. 1: Northwestern (W)
Feb. 5: @ Purdue (W)
Feb. 8: Indiana (W)
Feb. 13: @ Wisconsin (W)
Feb. 16: @ Northwestern (W)
Feb. 19: Illinois (W)
Feb. 22: @ Ohio State (L)
Feb. 25: Iowa (W)

I'm feelin the vibe....LOL

Seriously though, I'll take 4-4 in this stretch, preferably including a win @NW just to break that streak. I just hope they avoid any swoons that seem to have stricken this squad over the years. I mean, 1-7...really?? After 1-6 the previous year lol. That just can't happen.

Man, so much breathing room at the Barn if we can somehow pick off 2 of those road games. I would defineteley be happy with 1 though.

@Purdue
@Northwestern I gotta think one of those isn't going to go our way.

Means we would need to pull out one of the 4 "maybes" on there @Wisco @tOSU Iowa @home for a chance at 5-3.

Would love it if the Iowa game was the one that got the Gophers to win #9. I suspect Williams Arena will/would be primed for that one.

I have a tendency to go into every game thinking we can win. But that's just me.

Penultimate? Are we assuming no Final Four run this year?

was our January record the best in the last 5 years? or did it just feel like it?

An SI writer's take. Nothing I didn't already know (mainly because of SS) but interesting to see what national writers think. Some year we'll be a lock but this bubble watching is getting old and seems pretty familiar.

SHOULD BE IN
Minnesota (15-6, RPI: 24, SOS: 4): Thanks to a non-conference slate that included Syracuse, Florida State, Richmond and Arkansas -- as well as the tough competition they see almost every night in the Big Ten -- Minnesota's profile will be helped all season by its strength of schedule. If the Gophers want to be considered seriously, they need to take care of business in their next three games, all against lesser competition (Northwestern, at Purdue, Indiana).
IN THE MIX
Indiana (13-7, RPI: 66, SOS: 49): Yes, the win over Wisconsin two weeks ago put Indiana on the tournament radar, but it alone won't be nearly enough to get the Hoosiers a bid. They need to show the committee they can beat even a decent team on the road, something they've yet to do this season. Nebraska, whom IU visits on Thursday, may not qualify, but Minnesota does, and the Hoosiers will head to Minneapolis next week.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...-byu-saint-marys-indiana-state/#ixzz2rjZ4VCtD

Indiana is considered lesser competition? I know they are having a down year, but...

Speaking of February SS - Is Ohio State still in your NCAA tournament bracket? Does the Big Ten look more like a 5 instead of 6 bid league this year? If the B1G only gets five and it maybe comes down to MN and OH who gets da bid?

With Northwestern looking tougher than originally anticipated and the possibility we won't have Dre Hollins at all, I'd be happy if we go 2-1 in the next 3 games.

Speaking of February SS - Is Ohio State still in your NCAA tournament bracket? Does the Big Ten look more like a 5 instead of 6 bid league this year? If the B1G only gets five and it maybe comes down to MN and OH who gets da bid?

Ohio State is in no trouble at this point. Keep playing like they have been and they will be.

Definitely can see a scenario where the Big Ten only gets 5 bids, but 6 still the most likely outcome. Projecting ahead (which I don't do when I update my Field of 68), here's how I see the Big Ten at this point (current RPI in parentheses):

Locks (4): Michigan State (4), Wisconsin (9), Michigan (14), Iowa (30) -- with their strong nonconference schedule/performance all the Badgers have to do is go 8-10 in Big Ten. They'll manage that.

Iffy (3): Gophers (31), Ohio State (33), Indiana (68)

Longshots (2): Illinois (65), Nebraska (79)

Slim/No Chance (3): Northwestern (98), Penn State (100), Purdue (108)

Slim/No Chance (3): Northwestern (98), Penn State (100), Purdue (108)

Understand NW's overall record is rough, but if they keep up their pace they will finish in the top 5 of the Big Ten. That would deserve a look from the committee.

Understand NW's overall record is rough, but if they keep up their pace they will finish in the top 5 of the Big Ten. That would deserve a look from the committee.

Unfortunately for the 'Cats, all the games count, not just the ones after you figure things out. They'll need to win the tourney to get in, I'm afraid.

Top Bottom