Tubby vs. Pitino

Reaction score
I'm sure almost everyone is aware of the resentment of some at UK after Tubby took over for Rick Pitino, anyone think this game could send a message to those people? Any thoughts on our chances?

I was reading on the UK board earlier that Louisville is not a good 3 point shooting team. The UK fans thought that Tubby's ball line defense generally allows open 3's but that it doesn't allow the ball to get inside. I don't think we will win, but maybe that coupled with Louisville's atrocious record on neutral courts will give us a chance?

I'm sure almost everyone is aware of the resentment of some at UK after Tubby took over for Rick Pitino, anyone think this game could send a message to those people?

Pretty hard for messages to be received by people who aren't listening, if you know what I mean.

Good point. Tubby sure doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would hold a grudge, but I'm sure it would feel good to beat Louisville and Rick.

The above posts have left me a bit confused as to the point(?). Tubby was on Pitino's staff at one time along with many others who are now head coaches. Tubby (UK) and Rick (UL) have played each other many times since then and are friends. UK (now BG) and UL continue to play. I would assume Tubby and Rick were quite agreeable to meet (play) each other again as they have great respect for each other. It's a great open for the AZ stadium as these guys are two of the best. Expect to see more big-time coaches (such as Florida's Billy D, OK St's Travis Ford, Arkansas's Pelphry) who are part of that brotherhood, be on future MN schedules.

I for one would love to have a home and home with the Gators. Could be a good matchup in a few years

The above posts have left me a bit confused as to the point(?). Tubby was on Pitino's staff at one time along with many others who are now head coaches. Tubby (UK) and Rick (UL) have played each other many times since then and are friends. UK (now BG) and UL continue to play. I would assume Tubby and Rick were quite agreeable to meet (play) each other again as they have great respect for each other. It's a great open for the AZ stadium as these guys are two of the best. Expect to see more big-time coaches (such as Florida's Billy D, OK St's Travis Ford, Arkansas's Pelphry) who are part of that brotherhood, be on future MN schedules.

True, however some UK fans felt that Tubby never filled the shoes of Pitino as far as recruiting goes. There were some pretty nasty acts against Coach after his time there. If you go onto youtube and search tubby smith there are a lot of angry videos about him, too. I'm sure the two coaches get along fine.

Pitino AND Tubby Are In Better Places (For Them)

Tubby has beaten Pitino 4 of 6 times in the 2000's.

Pitino beat Tubby 5 (of 5) times in the 1990's.

True, however some UK fans felt that Tubby never filled the shoes of Pitino as far as recruiting goes. There were some pretty nasty acts against Coach after his time there. If you go onto youtube and search tubby smith there are a lot of angry videos about him, too. I'm sure the two coaches get along fine.

OK - I'm not a youtube watcher so I guess those folks needed something to vent about. Everyone has fans and foes. Some are more vocal than others. Some are more intelligent than others. Hey - it's a free country. Some UK fans never got over Pitino "abandoning" them for the NBA and then insulting them by returning to coach Louisville. Some may try to qualify their rage by actually elevating Pitino. He did change the landscape of UK recruiting. Gone were the talented KY kids who would give their hearts (the Unforgettables) and "in" were the street-ball players of New York looking for the NBA. Pitino is that kind of recruiter. Hasn't anybody noticed Tubby likes the kids in MN. Each has won 1 NCAA championship. Each has done well. Which one would you want? It's a bigger question than you might realize.

Each has done well. Which one would you want? It's a bigger question than you might realize.

Not really. I'd take Tubby everytime.

Top Bottom