PiPress: Nebraska's new digs are giving U ideas

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Gophers athletics director Norwood Teague has visited the University of Nebraska's basketball facilities so frequently the past two years that Cornhuskers coach Tim Miles joked recently the two are "best friends."

Is it a case of facilities envy or early planning?

"He's been here so often to look at it," Miles said, "I don't think there's any doubt Minnesota will do it right when it does do it."

Nebraska's 84,000-square-foot Hendricks Training Complex, which opened in 2011, has had a major influence on Teague's ideas for a new Gophers facility. The Huskers' state-of-the-art locker room, for instance, features built-in iPads, and the 5,000-square foot weight room has an expanded nutrition area.

"On the basketball side, it was just well planned out," Teague said. "I like the phasing and the efficiency of the way they planned out a lot of that. And I liked the design."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

$40 mil a year from the BIGTEN NETWORK, you would think we could get a shovel in the ground

With that much money on the table, the BTN should be able to show the whole game of every basketball game as well...like they said they would.

per Marcus:

The Huskers' state-of-the-art locker room, for instance, features built-in iPads, and the 5,000-square foot weight room has an expanded nutrition area.

Go Gophers!!

Bolded just sounds stupid. iPads are supposed to be something you can take with you not built in.

When the Gophers architect their new digs, they should include a first rate tattoo parlor that will ink for free. Something that adds real value to the players. It's my idea remember.

When the Gophers architect their new digs, they should include a first rate tattoo parlor that will ink for free. Something that adds real value to the players. It's my idea remember.

I don't know about free, maybe the players could just give them like team awards or something?

Wow lets get the shovel in the ground... if this doesn't help recruiting I don't know what does.

i can't find a pool table with the Williams Arena court like the Nebraska one--the google failed me. Anyone have any ideas for a custom shop that would do it?

I'm both impressed and disgusted by this facility at the same time.

And yet, people still get upset when the excess of college sports is criticized. I hope the U builds something just as nice, but totally understand how some people can shake their heads at this.

Are three 65 inch tvs and 2 100 inch tvs really necessary when some academic programs don't have enough equipment to survive? For the record, I realize these two different budgets, but there's still an argument to be made for priorities.

And yet, people still get upset when the excess of college sports is criticized. I hope the U builds something just as nice, but totally understand how some people can shake their heads at this.

Are three 65 inch tvs and 2 100 inch tvs really necessary when some academic programs don't have enough equipment to survive? For the record, I realize these two different budgets, but there's still an argument to be made for priorities.

We've been putting academics ahead of athletics for far too long. It's time to upgrade our facilities, period. Our lack of facilities is a perpetual embarrassment. When was the last time our academics were an embarrassment for us?

We've been putting academics ahead of athletics for far too long. It's time to upgrade our facilities, period. Our lack of facilities is a perpetual embarrassment. When was the last time our academics were an embarrassment for us?

I don't disagree that the facilities need to be upgraded. Do you need 100 inch tvs? Do you need I-Pads wired into each expensive wooden locker? Do you need them wired into the showers? Modern athletic facility upgrades are needed at the U. I'm simply saying it's understandable to me why some people would question priorities.

I don't disagree that the facilities need to be upgraded. Do you need 100 inch tvs? Do you need I-Pads wired into each expensive wooden locker? Do you need them wired into the showers? Modern athletic facility upgrades are needed at the U. I'm simply saying it's understandable to me why some people would question priorities.

Yeah I'm not going to get in to specifics like that. The main point is we need the new structures and facilities. The tvs and ipads are nothing but recruiting flair and a very, very small portion of the total cost of a new practice facility.

Yeah I'm not going to get in to specifics like that. The main point is we need the new structures and facilities. The tvs and ipads are nothing but recruiting flair and a very, very small portion of the total cost of a new practice facility.

Agreed, when you look at prices you realize that 20 I-pads and a few TVs would not set you back more than $20,000 and when you are talking 10s of millions as the total price the toys are inconsequential.

Agreed, when you look at prices you realize that 20 I-pads and a few TVs would not set you back more than $20,000 and when you are talking 10s of millions as the total price the toys are inconsequential.

However, they're also fodder for people who think there is excess in college sports. Especially when you have academic buildings which have very few of the necessary equipment to make them what they could be. Some may not want to get into those details, but many will and it doesn't look good.

However, they're also fodder for people who think there is excess in college sports. Especially when you have academic buildings which have very few of the necessary equipment to make them what they could be. Some may not want to get into those details, but many will and it doesn't look good.

Can you list any buildings/facilities on campus that don't have "necessary equipment?" When I was on campus I didn't have a single class in a facility lacking "necessary equipment."

Can you list any buildings/facilities on campus that don't have "necessary equipment?" When I was on campus I didn't have a single class in a facility lacking "necessary equipment."

Temporary North of Mines.

I'm not necessarily talking about the U, nor am I advoacting that their are programs or buildings that are under fitted. However, there is very often a perception that academics takes a huge backseat to athletics already and things like 100 inch tvs don't help.

But, to take your challenge in a small way. The University is requesting $18 million from the state for the laboratory Improvement Fund. One could argue (if they wanted) that this should be put ahead of a new athletics complex in terms of fundraising focus.

Again, I'm not advocating any of this, simply pointing out that some will point to the size and scope of these buildings as mis-placed priorities and frankly there's an argument there.

I'm not necessarily talking about the U, nor am I advoacting that their are programs or buildings that are under fitted. However, there is very often a perception that academics takes a huge backseat to athletics already and things like 100 inch tvs don't help.

But, to take your challenge in a small way. The University is requesting $18 million from the state for the laboratory Improvement Fund. One could argue (if they wanted) that this should be put ahead of a new athletics complex in terms of fundraising focus.

Again, I'm not advocating any of this, simply pointing out that some will point to the size and scope of these buildings as mis-placed priorities and frankly there's an argument there.

The U has improved countless buildings and facilities since I graduated (the old science classroom building, the research facilities surrounding TCF, the new rec center, etc.), but they haven't even touched (to my knowledge) Williams, the Pavilion, Bierman or many other athletic buildings. It is time we do something about our deteriorating sports complexes. Anyone who disagrees with that probably wishes we didn't have any athletics (FOLLOW THE UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO MODEL!!1!!1!).

The U has improved countless buildings and facilities since I graduated (the old science classroom building, the research facilities surrounding TCF, the new rec center, etc.), but they haven't even touched (to my knowledge) Williams, the Pavilion, Bierman or many other athletic buildings. It is time we do something about our deteriorating sports complexes. Anyone who disagrees with that probably wishes we didn't have any athletics (FOLLOW THE UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO MODEL!!1!!1!).

Really, so a new floor and new scoreboards, new video and sound control systems, etc... Don't count? I am strongly in favor of the new plans, but basing your whole argument on a false premise is really not helping.

I think we are long past the phase of justifying the facility plans. All we need now is the money, so anty up or organise some creative way to get all of us to pool our money to get it done! A majority of the money will come from big donors, but it would be great to have some fun way for the fans to pitch in.

Really, so a new floor and new scoreboards, new video and sound control systems, etc... Don't count? I am strongly in favor of the new plans, but basing your whole argument on a false premise is really not helping.

I think we are long past the phase of justifying the facility plans. All we need now is the money, so anty up or organise some creative way to get all of us to pool our money to get it done! A majority of the money will come from big donors, but it would be great to have some fun way for the fans to pitch in.

On the nose. People also forget that there was a massive upgrade in facilities in football. I would love to know how much money has gone into athletic facilities compared to academic facilities over the last 10 years. I think people would be surprised how close the two are. However, we didn't invest much in the 10 years before the football upgrade.. So timeline bias comes into play.

I guess I shouldn't have used the phrase "haven't even touched." A new floor and new scoreboard is pretty minute compared to brand new structures and massive renovations and expansions to campus buildings. At least we can agree it needs to be done.

I guess I shouldn't have used the phrase "haven't even touched." A new floor and new scoreboard is pretty minute compared to brand new structures and massive renovations and expansions to campus buildings. At least we can agree it needs to be done.

Pillsbury and Folwell Halls should also be replaced. They're really old.

Top Bottom