A little credit goes to Mav.

balds

Reaction score
Pressed into action he made at least three positive offensive plays and only ONE turnover in 13 minutes. If Andre is out for an extended period, Mav playing like that will be key.

Mav does deserve credit for playing well, so far. Unlike in years past, he seems to understand his role with this team this year. Maybe he is just protecting the ball better (which he is) but he does seem to be under control with his total game this year. It could be just a 'senior' thing. Hell it could be better coaching. He has seen a lot of changes in his years here, so I think it's also important to give him credit for staying and not looking for greener pastures as well.

Mav is a pretty good spot up shooter. I can see him getting some open jumpers off of the little guy's drive and kicks. I worry about Mav being the PG for extended minutes when we play a team that is actually athletic and pressures the ball.

I mentioned in one of the post game threads that he was involved in at least 3 or 4 of the top plays, including that excellent alley-oop to Austin.

Totally agree, and so far this season goes, I've been all aboard the Mav bandwagon ever since Maui, mainly due to his relentless nature and the fact he never fails but go 100% balls out every time he's out there on the court. He ALWAYS plays hard and gives max effort, and yes, how sometimes that can lead to a Mav out of control, and a player will make you cover your eyes and cringe as you silently curse "Dude, slow it the f*ck down already, please!", but so it goes with players of better effort than skill.

Anyhow, I absolutely do appreciate him for what he is, as a valuable and contributing member to a Golden Gopher basketball team, so thanks, Mav, and keep it up, my friend.

Mav played well the other night. A couple of great passes. That said, I'm glad Pitino knows when (and when not) to play him, a little better than Tubby did.

Mav played well the other night. A couple of great passes. That said, I'm glad Pitino knows when (and when not) to play him, a little better than Tubby did.

He's certainly managing his appearances and minutes, isn't he? And maybe that's the best thing for the team and for the player.

Still, I love Mav's effort, always. He's one of my favorite players precisely due to that.

Totally agree, and so far this season goes, I've been all aboard the Mav bandwagon ever since Maui, mainly due to his relentless nature and the fact he never fails but go 100% balls out every time he's out there on the court. He ALWAYS plays hard and gives max effort, and yes, how sometimes that can lead to a Mav out of control, and a player will make you cover your eyes and cringe as you silently curse "Dude, slow it the f*ck down already, please!", but so it goes with players of better effort than skill.

Anyhow, I absolutely do appreciate him for what he is, as a valuable and contributing member to a Golden Gopher basketball team, so thanks, Mav, and keep it up, my friend.

+1 Mav takes a lot of undue crap from the fans. Guy gives it his all and he's quite valuable, particularly with Dre out for a couple of weeks. I expect to see him score a bit more in the coming games - he has to.

+1 Mav takes a lot of undue crap from the fans. Guy gives it his all and he's quite valuable, particularly with Dre out for a couple of weeks. I expect to see him score a bit more in the coming games - he has to.

Agreed. Mav takes more crap than he deserves here. For the Tubby trashers, remember when Mav was playing a lot of minutes, there was no other option (transfers, injuries, quitters). If anything, his major screw up was NOT playing Mav and forcing Hoffarber to the point when Mav was a freshman. We lost a shooter who was our most potent offensive weapon because of that decision.

I thought his play was solid on Wednesday but a little tentative. There were times I thought he passed up open and makeable shots. He'll get over that with more minutes in the next few games, I think.

I hate mav and been enjoying the lack of playing time he has been getting (he's currently dating my ex, who grew up a badgers fan before I converted her to the good side, the irony). But I will admit, he played outstanding against wisconsin. He seemed hungry, he showed a lot of emotion and was really aggressive, something I'm not used to see him doing. If he plays like he did against wisconsin, I would think he would get his minutes back even when Hollins returns, but would want him to play the 2 and not the 1 spot. But for personal reasons, I want him to struggle once hollins gets back and ride the bench the rest of the way. :cool02:

It's not Mav's fault that Tubby's player retention and late recruiting was so pathetic that he was thrust into a feature role way too early. It's also not Mav's fault that he played so much. Again, it would be interesting to go back in time and see how he developed under Rich Pit, playing sparingly and strategically, instead of for 20 minutes every game, starting with 5 minutes at the under 16 with 4 other marginal subs.......

I agree with the above. He has always given his all, is a team player and by all evidence, a nice kid. He wasn't a 5 star recruit. I can't blame him. I'm sure he has worked as hard as he possibly could.

I expected him to shoot a few more threes this year than he has........

I hate mav and being enjoying the lack of playing time he has been getting (he's currently dating my ex, who grew up a badgers fan before I converted her to the good side, the irony). But I will admit, he played outstanding against wisconsin. He seemed hungry, he showed a lot of emotion and was really aggressive, something I'm not used to see him doing. If he plays like he did against wisconsin, I would think he would get his minutes back even when Hollins returns, but would want him to play the 2 and not the 1 spot. But for personal reasons, I want him to struggle once hollins gets back and ride the bench the rest of the way. :cool02:

Ya, that would be hard seeing him acting like that with your ex-girlfriend.

When Dre went down and Mav hit the floor, I said "oh no." But boy did he play well, including a couple assists that Mathieu would have been proud of. The dude is a senior and has a big heart. This PT might pay dividends later in the season, perhaps in the BTT with games on consecutive days.

Top Bottom