Q&A: Amir Coffey on Attending Gophers Games: "I love going up there."

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Amir Coffey on Attending Gophers Games: "I love going up there."
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/342449?referrer_id=388419

Amir Coffey, a 6-5 sophomore wing from Hopkins, is considered the top in-state prospect in the Class of 2016. Coffey has helped lead the Royals to great start this season and a number two ranking in Class AAAA.

Gopher Hole.com caught up with Coffey after he scored 16 points to lead Hopkins to an 86-74 win over Edina Thursday in a Lake Conference battle to learn the latest on his early recruitment.

Gopher Hole: You attended the Gopher game versus Purdue. What was that experience like?

Amir Coffey: It was great. I went to see the Gophers for actually the first time this year. They got the "W." I went down to the locker room, so it was pretty nice.

Gopher Hole: Have you had a chance to see much of them this season on TV?

Amir Coffey: I have been keeping up with them a little bit.

Gopher Hole: They have a little bit different style than the old regime under Coach Smith. What do you think of that style because it seems like you like playing more up-tempo?

Amir Coffey: The old style was kind of a slow-down and Coach Pitino likes to get up and down the floor and that is a style that I like to play, so I like it.

Gopher Hole: Do you like going to games and getting to know the coaches a little bit better and the players?

Amir Coffey: Yes. I love it. Building a relationship with the coaches. It is a great experience. Every time I have fun when I go. I love going up there.

Gopher Hole: Have you had a chance to go to any other college games with your busy schedule?

Amir Coffey: Not yet. Just the Gophers, because it is the hometown and so easy to get up there.

Gopher Hole: Do you have any plans to go anywhere the next couple of months?

Amir Coffey: I don't have a timeline now, but probably in the near future.

Gopher Hole: I know that schools can't call you as much since you are only a sophomore, but are you getting a lot of mail from schools?

Amir Coffey: I am getting quite a few letters. I am just keeping them in a box and not paying too much attention because it is such a long process right now

Gopher Hole: Do you like the recruiting process? Do you see how it could be annoying after a while?

Amir Coffey: It has its ups and downs. Sometimes you like it. Sometimes you hate it, but it is good overall.

Gopher Hole: What is your favorite part about it?

Amir Coffey: Just knowing that I'll be able to go to college. To keep working hard and stay humble with it all and just keep having fun with it.

Gopher Hole: How about least favorite part?

Amir Coffey: Probably just how hectic it is. Keeping up with all the coaches. When the period does comes calling, all the coaches and talking and getting all the letters.

Gopher Hole: How much do you think it helps you having two sisters who went through it along with your dad?

Amir Coffey: It definitely helps because if I didn't have them, I wouldn't know what it is like and it would be my first time experiencing it. I went through that with them and I was actually excited for them, so I was around it all the time. They were talking to coaches and getting letters. It helps because I didn't have that experience before.

Gopher Hole: It seems like you have picked up your scoring recently. At the beginning of the season, it seems like you deferred your play and were being more of a passer. Is that something that you have made an adjustment to taking what is available to you and also show that you can score when you need to?

Amir Coffey: Coach Novak just had a talk with me and said that just because you are a sophomore doesn't mean that you can't do this and that. He just said "stay aggressive" and he thinks that I can score whatever a game. I am just trying to do whatever the coach says.

Gopher Hole: Is that nice because you know that you have (Citadel signee) Jake Wright and other good players on the team that if one of you is having an off night that there are others who can step up?

Amir Coffey: That is the great thing about our team because we have multiple scorers. We have Stephon Sharp, Jake Wright, Kamali (Chambers). We can all score. We don't just have one scorer, so if one is off then the other four of us can step up, so that is what is great about our team.

Gopher Hole: How about your summer plans? Have you thought about AAU yet or is that too far away?

Amir Coffey: Yes. I haven't thought about it yet. Probably when it starts getting closer, I'll starting talking about it.

Gopher Hole: Are you going to do any USA Basketball events this summer?

Amir Coffey: I think that we go back there in July, I want to say, for a tryout.

Gopher Hole: Would that be for a team that would travel overseas?

Amir Coffey: Yes. I think that they go to Dubai this year.

Gopher Hole: What was the experience like being out in Colorado Springs?

Amir Coffey: It was amazing. Being around the top talent. Being around all those guys from different place. Building relationships with those guys. It is always fun being out there and I love it out there.

Amir going against Frank Ragnow in pic. Hopefully 2 future Gophers.

Top Bottom