Dre Mathieu - The Honey Gopher

It's a Pig Man!

Reaction score
Somebody said on GI that they heard someone call him this. I don't know what the rest of you think but I really like it! Honey Gopher don't care!

SpiderMan was tossed around by media guys following the game. I like that better.

The coming of Bobby Jackson II

The Honey Gopher is way more unique and fitting, much more likely to catch on.

I'm all for The Honey Gopher!

If you guys read Down with Goldy, he refers to him as the Honey Gopher. That's the first, and, up to now, only, place I'd seen it. Just like Tyrann Mathieu at LSU was the Honey Badger, so Dre Mathieu is the Honey Gopher. I dig it personally, it's such a great fit.

SpiderMan was tossed around by media guys following the game. I like that better.

If by media guys you mean just Ryan James then yes. To be honest, I just don't get that nickname very much. It's not easy to identify the reason for that nickname whereas the Honey Gopher is obviously a clever (at least somewhat) reference to Tyrann "Honey Badger" Mathieu. It also kinda fits Dre because like an actual honey badger, Mathieu is pretty fearless and surprisingly feisty. It's obviously just and opinion and you are more than welcome to your own, I just think that Honey Gopher is a much better nickname. It's likely that in the end neither will catch on anyways.

I now see why Tyus went running to Duke. I wouldn't want to sit on the bench behind a 5-9 waterbug either.

I kind of like Spiderman because Spiderman is about the smallest super hero there is. Mathieu is also very good at placing the ball when he feeds his teammates. It's almost like the ball is on a string (or web). He is also extremely athletic and able to go up and over people at times.

Honey Gopher is alright, but I honestly don't think the average fan would realize it is reference to the other Mathieu. Also, I'd rather not adopt any sort of nickname that has anything to do with a Badger.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>There are few things in life prettier than a <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> Dre Mathieu (<a href="https://twitter.com/Drizzy_AttackM">@Drizzy_AttackM</a>) running floater in the lane. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23ThingOfBeauty&src=hash">#ThingOfBeauty</a></p>— GopherHole.com (@GopherHole) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherHole/statuses/426360812664782848">January 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I kind of like Spiderman because Spiderman is about the smallest super hero there is. Mathieu is also very good at placing the ball when he feeds his teammates. It's almost like the ball is on a string (or web). He is also extremely athletic and able to go up and over people at times.

Honey Gopher is alright, but I honestly don't think the average fan would realize it is reference to the other Mathieu. Also, I'd rather not adopt any sort of nickname that has anything to do with a Badger.

That's part of the beauty of the Honey Gopher nickname. You take out something that is disdainful and putrid, and replace it with 100% awesomeness.

I'm sticking with Honey Gopher. And I promise it isn't because I desperately wish the Gophers were more like the Badgers.

Not really, it seems like we want to be like the Badgers more than anything.

Except the Honey Badger has nothing to do with the Wisconsin Badgers. If anyone thought that, part of the joke would be on them. I think your post would make sense if Tyronn Matheu played for the Badgers.

Except the Honey Badger has nothing to do with the Wisconsin Badgers. If anyone thought that, part of the joke would be on them. I think your post would make sense if Tyronn Matheu played for the Badgers.

I've just seen too many Badger fans post natgeo/discovery channel videos of how fierce the honey Badger is. Stupid, I know, but I've seen it a number of times.

Speaking of Mathieu he reminds me so much of Lewis Jackson from Purdue. That little sh-t used to just kill us.

Speaking of Mathieu he reminds me so much of Lewis Jackson from Purdue. That little sh-t used to just kill us.

That is a pretty good comparison. Players like Mathieu and Jackson are frustrating to go up against.

I've just seen too many Badger fans post natgeo/discovery channel videos of how fierce the honey Badger is. Stupid, I know, but I've seen it a number of times.

The real problem is you hang with too many Badger fans.

I prefer Dee Brown

Jackson is a pretty good comparison as far as size and speed and ability to take it to the rim. The big difference to me is that Dre is already a pretty good 3pt shooter and Lewis never was. That's why I like the Dee Brown comparison.

For nicknames how about Mighty Mouse.

That is a pretty good comparison. Players like Mathieu and Jackson are frustrating to go up against.

Top Bottom