Post game notes vs. WI - Pitino "I don't think our fans understand how good they are"

GopherLady

Reaction score
Post game notes vs. WI - Pitino "I don't think our fans understand how good they are"

DeAndre Mathieu
We talked about it,,23 need to step up and play together when Hollins went down
Mo was a beast, he was an animal, he was unstoppable. I haven't ever seen him like that. He's a good player
I felt I had to score a bit, or get guys more open looks because Andre went down
We throw different guys in all the time, so we weren't really worried
Coach told me, their pick and roll coverage wasn't get aggressive. So I had to make the right decisions in the lane.

Austin Hollins
These 4 games have shown we can beat anybody and lose to anybody. It starts in practice.
I think this defensive performance we've had all year.
Malik didn't know he'd be coming in for a Dre like that, and he handled it well.
Dre told us when he came back- keep playing, finish the game. It's not about him, it's a team sport.
Let the game come to me. I had a couple open looks that didn't phase me. Most importantly, play defense.

Eliason
Keep your focus. Mo got in there and played his butt off. Everyone stepped up, everyone gave us something tonight
I think it has a lot to do with Coach P, we're better than the sum of our parts
We do morning individual workouts everyday, just working on our skills everyday. That's helped us a lot, we've all gotten better
He was pretty hard on us. He didn't sugar coat it, he told us we lost who we were.*
We've had some interesting film sessions where he's exposed a lot of us.*

Mo walker
I'm a hungry player, I keep working hard, I want to improve everyday. I am unselfish, I don't want to force anything.*
This is a rival game, we love to beat the badgers, that's it, we gotta win
I knew they were undersized out there
(On Dre going out) We've got to rally around it, Dre's one of our main guys. Everyone stepped up.*
(On Pitino) He just tells us we should be extremely confident in ourselves. We should have confidence from all the work we've done begind the scenes.*

Richard Pitino:
• Andre Hollins, we know it's an ankle injury, we don't know to the extent yet. He'll get an MRI tomorrow.
• On if he thought they could win without Andre Hollins before the season - I didn't have any type of expectations at the beginning of the year, just because I didn't know what I was getting into. I feel like we have really good chemistry when things are clicking. They really believe that the whole is better than the parts.
• When you're starting to become a good team, when Elliott's not playing well, you can go to Mo Walker. Or when Dre Hollins gets injured you can go to Malik Smith.
• I really challenged the guys after the Iowa game. I thought Mo and Malik were tremendous.
• Every play that we run, ends in a post up. But he demanded it. We told the bigs - you have to demand the ball. Mo was posting up so big, that guys had to throw it in there. It was more him than me.
• (When The Daily asked what game Mo played well in - Concordia?) Boy - you guys have no respect for Mo Walker
• On Mo - In the OSU game, he really did some good things, he's growing a little bit. He's getting more confident, he's starting to settle into his new body.
• On 1 TO in the 2nd half - we have not done a good job of taking care of the ball as of late. WI doesn’t pressure a whole lot, so plus 10 on the glass impressed me, shooting 59% really really impressed me, and I thought our defense was great.
• We established the inside with Mo, and they did a good job of taking that away, so it was Mathieu's turn to attack the basket> When they take one thing away, you go at them with something else.
• I think they're rubbing off on guys. Malik had shot a ridculous shot against Purdue, and as he pulled it out, I told him it was his turn to shoot it. That's the kind of player he is, his confidence rubs off on everybody.
• I have Ben Johnson on my staff who's from here, he had to say 10 times in meetings this is a big game. I said this is a league game. Ben said no, this is WI. I've got unbelievable respect fort the Badger snad Bo Ryan, he's an unbelievable coach. Never finished under the top 4 or not in the tournament.
• I don't think our fans understand how good they are, and how good The Barn is. People always ask me what I would change, I would not change one thing about it. This is as good as it gets.
• On Austin - I think he's playing better than most people think. Things that people don't see on a stat sheet.
• When you can shoot the ball, I think it opens up a lot of things.
• On players talking about getting into the dance - I haven't even brought it up - they can talk all they want, I'm not going to listen.
• We've been up double digits, except for Michigan. I think they learned from that Purdue game, greatly. I think it taught us a lot about our team, we made a lot of mistakes, but we did a lot of good things.

Thanks, GL. Great to get home and have your post game notes waiting.

Like I've said before...I love these guys. This is only the beginning. Big things are coming.

By the way love the part about Ben Johnson telling him this isn't just another league game. Important that he knew ahead of time just how big this game was.

Best one yet. Thanks GL

Anyone have what bo ryan had to say after the game? would be interested in hearing what his thoughts were

One of the most satisfying wins in a long, long time.

New coach, new players, not sure what to expect this year. Trying to make the dance, vs Wisky, full Barn and Andre goes down on first play.........still we win.

Originally Posted by GuyFawkes

Anyone have what bo ryan had to say after the game? would be interested in hearing what his thoughts were

Gopherlady
I uploaded a picture of his comments, here you go: http://twitpic.com/dt36ls

Bo seems to have a problem with sentence structure...Kind of like Tubby did.

Bo seems to have a problem with sentence structure...Kind of like Tubby did.

Imagine trying to transcribe his notes! Well Rodney needed to handle...and Trevor did get boards...and we need to play better D. All over the place! I didn't know if I should complete his sentences, or just type them as is!

You are welcome!

I uploaded a picture of his comments, here you go: http://twitpic.com/dt36ls

Gasser's comments are astute. Overall, the Gophers shot the lights out and the casual observer would say it wasn't so much Wisconsin's "poor" defense as our hot shooting that won the game. But the thing about playing great defense is, if you make the other team work hard for every single shot, yes they'll make some but they aren't likely to ever get in the kind of groove the Gophers had last night. If, on the other hand, you give up a bunch of open looks and the offense starts seeing the ball go in the hoop a bunch of times early on, that can open the floodgates.

That said, Wisconsin simply doesn't match up well against us to play us man to man. They don't have a guard quick enough to stay in front of Mathieu, and when Kaminsky has to rest or gets in foul trouble they have no one else big enough to guard the post.

Top Bottom