Student Section - Let's get a "WE WANT JARVIS" chant going tonight!

RichardWhat's Happening?

U of M=Land of 10,000 Recruits
Reaction score
This probably doesn't deserve it's own thread, but I wanted any students that happen to log on to Gopher Hole before the game tonight to see it since it's kind of buried in the other threads. Jarvis will be attendance again tonight and it would be awesome for the students to show him some love, especially in a rivalry game against a team that is also recruiting him heavily. While these chants probably don't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of recruiting, I've seen several recruits say they appreciate them. Let's Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/SKOORB_SIWEL">@SKOORB_SIWEL</a> We'll try. Won't be our main focus.</p>— The Barnyard - UofM (@TheBarnyardUMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheBarnyardUMN/statuses/426116232387899393">January 22, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/SKOORB_SIWEL">@SKOORB_SIWEL</a> We'll try. Won't be our main focus.</p>— The Barnyard - UofM (@TheBarnyardUMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheBarnyardUMN/statuses/426116232387899393">January 22, 2014</a></blockquote>

That esponse just blows my mind. What better way to impress a recruit than to chant his name while playing WISCONSIN, show him he IS just as big of a focus as the game. That is one of the worst responses. Yikes.

That esponse just blows my mind. What better way to impress a recruit than to chant his name while playing WISCONSIN, show him he IS just as big of a focus as the game. That is one of the worst responses. Yikes.

I thought the same thing. I guess there is only so much time available once you factor in all the creative Bo Ryan chants.

I thought the same thing. I guess there is only so much time available once you factor in all the creative Bo Ryan chants.

Yeah, can't ever chant "F*** Bo Ryan" with enough random accents.

Think of the message even that tweet alone sends to Jarvis? Yeah, we will pay attention to you maybe. If we get time, but seems doubtful. Sorry.

What is going to be their main focus? Do they do anything besides yell and cuss?

They realize that the game is 2+ hours and that there are timeouts right? It must be really hard to fit in a 30 second chant.... :rolleyes:

They're directly affiliated with the University of Minnesota athletic program. They have to be just as careful about how they approach recruits as coaches do. Can't tweet at them, etc. Know from experience. If the general student body does it/organizes it, fine. But The Barnyard can't initiate contact with them and things of that sort

Pathetic response. Hopefully other people at the game will have more sense and get a few chants going.

While I suppose we think of the entire student section as the Barnyard, I'm guessing this Twitter account is run by a smaller group of fans who are actually the Barnyard. They're like the basketball equivalent of the Rooter Club for the football team. Just because you have student season tickets to see the football team does not mean you are a member of the Rooter Club, likewise, it would seem that having basketball student season tickets does not make you a member of the Barnyard. The Barnyard are the guys that put out the flyers on the seats before games and wear the animal costumes at the games.

I talked to a guy last night who is in the Barnyard, and he showed me an email he received from whomever is in charge of the Barnyard saying essentially, "If/when the other students start chanting 'F*** Bo Ryan,' please chant 'Let's go Gophers!' to the same rhythm." I believe that the University has gotten into, or has come close to getting into, some trouble with the NCAA, or the Big Ten, or the FCC or something because those chants are picked up on TV. I am guessing that the "won't be our main focus" comment is because their main focus will be attempting to drown out the profanities from the rest of the students, and they'll show some love to Jarvis Johnson if they get the chance.

Even if they are restricted couldn't they respond as such. 'Per university/ncaa rules we,as an extension of the U, are not allowed to target individual recruits'. Would that be so hard. Part of growing into adulthood I guess.

How about you old timers who spend half the game sitting on your hands start a "We want Jarvis chant"? I'll be at the game. I look forward to hearing you guys!

While I suppose we think of the entire student section as the Barnyard, I'm guessing this Twitter account is run by a smaller group of fans who are actually the Barnyard. They're like the basketball equivalent of the Rooter Club for the football team. Just because you have student season tickets to see the football team does not mean you are a member of the Rooter Club, likewise, it would seem that having basketball student season tickets does not make you a member of the Barnyard. The Barnyard are the guys that put out the flyers on the seats before games and wear the animal costumes at the games.

I talked to a guy last night who is in the Barnyard, and he showed me an email he received from whomever is in charge of the Barnyard saying essentially, "If/when the other students start chanting 'F*** Bo Ryan,' please chant 'Let's go Gophers!' to the same rhythm." I believe that the University has gotten into, or has come close to getting into, some trouble with the NCAA, or the Big Ten, or the FCC or something because those chants are picked up on TV. I am guessing that the "won't be our main focus" comment is because their main focus will be attempting to drown out the profanities from the rest of the students, and they'll show some love to Jarvis Johnson if they get the chance.

+1. Rooter Club and Barnyard are run by the same organization (We Are Minnesota - founded by Maturi), as well as the Ice Box. Members are selected thru an application process/interviews. Season tix don't make you members. Much of the emphasis is diffusing unsporstmanlike and degrading chants. And, once again, they can't tweet/directly reference recruits because they are directly affiliated with the program.

+1. Rooter Club and Barnyard are run by the same organization (We Are Minnesota - founded by Maturi), as well as the Ice Box. Members are selected thru an application process/interviews. Season tix don't make you members. Much of the emphasis is diffusing unsporstmanlike and degrading chants. And, once again, they can't tweet/directly reference recruits because they are directly affiliated with the program.

Need a renegade group to infiltrate.:cool02:

so did a jarvis chant break out at the game a few times tonight?

so did a jarvis chant break out at the game a few times tonight?

Perhaps the game play and craziness in the Barn spoke for itself :cool02:

Yes, I hope they showed Jarvis some love too.

I'm assuming Johnson and the other recruits were right behind the bench next to Hoffarber, Nolan, etc.? It was fun to see them all get so excited after Hollins dunk.

I'm assuming Johnson and the other recruits were right behind the bench next to Hoffarber, Nolan, etc.? It was fun to see them all get so excited after Hollins dunk.
Yep he was behind the bench by Nolan. He was wearing a flannel type jacket

Apparently their priority was to chant F this, F that all night. Creativity is seriously lacking in our student section. They were loud and on time though at least.

I liked the "f**k those badgers" chant after 'Dre got hurt!!

Top Bottom