STrib: Ohio State's 4th consecutive loss strips the luster from Gophers signature win

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

The downside of that, of course, for the Gophers, is that with "special" pollish on that victory wearing off, Minnesota becomes a big questionmark all over again. If Ohio State ultimately lands somewhere in the middle of the pack -- that's looking more and more likely -- what does that do for the Gophers?

Aside from the Buckeyes, Minnesota has only managed to get wins over Purdue and Penn State so far.

What do we have in this 2013-14 Gophers team? We thought we were starting to get an idea, but it appears we still don't know.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/241290861.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

It has become a Minnesota media and message board tradition. ... let's do everything we can to diminish Gopher (or any local team's) wins. If we thought it was a signuature win and then it doesn't turn out to be one, it must be worthless.

All I care about is how will the OSU win look at the end of the season, and can it help the Gophers make the NCAA Tournament? The answer to the latter will be "yes", and I'm confident that the answer to the former is, it will look just fine.

Might as well get ready for it. If the Gophers beat Wisconsin tomorrow night, then we'll start hearing that the Badgers are overrated and they're not any good, despite plenty of evidence to the contrary (wins over Florida, Virginia, Saint Louis, Iowa). They can't be, not with three straight losses. Heavens, no good team in the history of college basketball has ever lost a few games in a row.

BTW, not directed at you, Bleed. Just growing tired of crap like this that the Strib decides to throw out there. It's like they don't want anyone to get even a modicum of enjoyment out of their favorite team's success.

I'd like us to win enough games that you can't consider ANY of our wins to be a "signature win," because most of the teams we play are beneath us in the standings.

Let's say we beat Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Northwestern the next 3 games ... we would be sitting in 3rd or 4th place in the B1G without a "signature win" according to this logic. And we could conceivably finish in 4th place or so without a "signature win." And I think we all would be just fine with that!

Let's say we beat Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Northwestern the next 3 games ... we would be sitting in 3rd or 4th place in the B1G without a "signature win" according to this logic. And we could conceivably finish in 4th place or so without a "signature win." And I think we all would be just fine with that!

I was just about to post the same thing. At a certain point, "signature wins" become irrelevant if it looks like you'll finish top 3 or 4 in a power conference. I'd love to finish ahead of Wisconsin or Ohio State, though I still think that is somewhat unlikely.

It has become a Minnesota media and message board tradition. ... let's do everything we can to diminish Gopher wins.

The U should hire or create a school internship where a sports journalism student will follow the team including traveling with the team to create a buzz and a inside positive view of Gopher sports.

If you go to the Twins site they seem to be generating their own stories and press...

I never considered it a signature win anyways. We were only 3.5 point underdogs. It was a good win, though, against a team that was rightly ranked in the top 10 prior to their slump, and a game that many of us were considering a likely loss.

The U should hire or create a school internship where a sports journalism student will follow the team including traveling with the team to create a buzz and a inside positive view of Gopher sports.

If you go to the Twins site they seem to be generating their own stories and press...

The U and every major athletic department has this - its the Sports Information Department. The U has a lot of student interns in this department.

Go Gophers!!

The U and every major athletic department has this - its the Sports Information Department. The U has a lot of student interns in this department.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for the info >> where are their posts or stories? Or is that all in the University paper the Daily? Thanks again

Thanks for the info >> where are their posts or stories? Or is that all in the University paper the Daily? Thanks again

Most of them publish through GopherSports.com. A few years back they were more active with profiles and Q&As with current players, but that has definitely slowed the last few years and I'm not sure why. Lately they've been using GopherSports.com for game recaps/previews, which feels like an under-utilization of the site. Obviously the video production has dramatically improved which is great.

Self created content is becoming more and more of a focal point of communications departments both in and out of sports.

Go Gophers!!

If we get 6 or 7 more non-signature wins, we'll be just fine. I think.

I didn't read the article, but I can't help but agree with the premise. I don't think that is "hammering" the home team. I think that is realistic. Beat Wisconsin and the Strib will be singing the team's praises. This is Big Boy basketball, guys.

I didn't read the article, but I can't help but agree with the premise. I don't think that is "hammering" the home team. I think that is realistic. Beat Wisconsin and the Strib will be singing the team's praises. This is Big Boy basketball, guys.

In fairness, I didn't read it. Don't feel like I need to, either.

It has become a Minnesota media and message board tradition. ... let's do everything we can to diminish Gopher (or any local team's) wins. If we thought it was a signuature win and then it doesn't turn out to be one, it must be worthless.

All I care about is how will the OSU win look at the end of the season, and can it help the Gophers make the NCAA Tournament? The answer to the latter will be "yes", and I'm confident that the answer to the former is, it will look just fine.

Might as well get ready for it. If the Gophers beat Wisconsin tomorrow night, then we'll start hearing that the Badgers are overrated and they're not any good, despite plenty of evidence to the contrary (wins over Florida, Virginia, Saint Louis, Iowa). They can't be, not with three straight losses. Heavens, no good team in the history of college basketball has ever lost a few games in a row.

BTW, not directed at you, Bleed. Just growing tired of crap like this that the Strib decides to throw out there. It's like they don't want anyone to get even a modicum of enjoyment out of their favorite team's success.

It's not crap if it happens to be true, or if it gets tot he point where it's a legitimate question. Journalists aren't supposed to be advocates like you want them to be.

This is good questioning by the Star Tribune. Keep it up.

It's not crap if it happens to be true, or if it gets tot he point where it's a legitimate question. Journalists aren't supposed to be advocates like you want them to be.

This is good questioning by the Star Tribune. Keep it up.

The Trib is now printing the Pioneer Press papers and Marcus's Gopher coverage >> so the Trib has some value...

Thanks for the lecture, but I'm keenly aware of the difference between editorial journalism and message board banter.

If you think I want/expect journalists to be "advocates", you haven't been paying attention.

No matter what though won't the selection committee view it as we won over the 11th ranked team in the country, that's how rpi and all that jazz works right?

No matter what though won't the selection committee view it as we won over the 11th ranked team in the country, that's how rpi and all that jazz works right?

As a measuring tool for potential at-large teams, the selection committee (we are led to believe) groups teams by RPI. ... 1-50, 51-100, 101-150, 151-200, 201+. OSU will fall into one of those groups. Generally speaking, wins over the top 50 are a good indicator to the committee that a team is capable of beating tournament-worthy teams. Unless OSU completely bombs the rest of the season, I can't envision a scenario where they drop out of the top 50. Top 25 perhaps, but not below top 50.

Regardless, I think if we put together a winning conference season, I think we are in. I would love for our team to grab the bull by the horns and earn a spot that doesn't leave us sweating on selection Sunday, rather than do just enough to put our team in the position where we are hoping the chips fall the right way in other teams' games.

. ... I would love for our team to grab the bull by the horns and earn a spot that doesn't leave us sweating on selection Sunday, rather than do just enough to put our team in the position where we are hoping the chips fall the right way in other teams' games.

We're all in agreement there. Sadly, that's not Gopher basketball's history. Maybe this season will be different.

Top Bottom