Q&A: Catching Up With 2015 Gophers PG Recruit Jarvis Johnson

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Catching Up With 2015 Gophers PG Recruit Jarvis Johnson
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/341421?referrer_id=388419

Jarvis Johnson, a 2015 point guard from Minneapolis (MN) DeLaSalle, received a scholarship offer from Minnesota in April. Johnson helped lead the Islanders to its second Class AAA state title as they finished 30-1 and were undefeated against in-state schools last year.

Minnesota head coach Richard Pitino and assistant Ben Johnson recently watched Johnson play at the Target Center, and Jarvis recently attended the Gophers Michigan game, where he also met Gopher legend Bobby Jackson.

Gopher Hole recently caught up with Johnson to learn the latest on his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: You had a big win over Chicago St. Rita's recently in the Timberwolves Shootout at the Target Center. You have played a tough early season schedule. Do you like playing those tough teams to get you ready for conference play and hopefully the playoffs down the road?

Jarvis Johnson: Yes. I like them. It gets us ready for March, really. Knowing that Reid is coming back, which is going to make us even better. I like the schedule right now.

Gopher Hole: Do you feel that you gained some confidence without him in the lineup? Having him back is going to make you even better, but do you feel that you can win even he is not playing?

Jarvis Johnson: Yes. With him coming back, it is opening up so much more for us and like I said, if we keep doing what we are doing plus adding him is going to make everything easier.

Gopher Hole: You were at Gopher game versus Michigan recently. What was that experience like?

Jarvis Johnson: It was nice. They almost got it, which they should have got it. I enjoyed the crowd.

Gopher Hole: Any new schools in the mix or is it pretty much the same schools?

Jarvis Johnson: Memphis, actually. I talked to the head coach (Josh Pastner).

Gopher Hole: How many offers are you up to right now? Do you still keep track?

Jarvis Johnson: No, I don't keep track. I want to say about nine or ten.

Gopher Hole: It looks like you have work hard on your outside shot. Is that one of the things that you have really been focusing on?

Jarvis Johnson: Yes. Knowing that in college basketball right now, it is so hard for guards to get in the lane and finish, you have to have a jumper.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the Gophers?

Jarvis Johnson: Like I said, same thing before. Keep working on my jump shot and I'll be good.

Top Bottom