Season Updates on D1 Minnesotans (Wragge, Lumpkin, and more)

GameDay

Reaction score
Ethan Wragge, F, Sr. (Creighton)- 12.5 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 50.0% 3-pt on 148 3-pt attempts. Made first 7 threes/9 total in a win at #4 Villanova tonight.

Isaiah Zierden, G, Fr. (Creighton)- 3.3 ppg, 41.2% 3-pt on 37 3-pt attempts. 6 points in upset of #4 Villanova tonight.

Sanjay Lumpkin, F, Fr. (Northwestern)- 4.1 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 1.5 apg, 31.0% 3-pt. Is a defensive stalwart for a team starting to come into it's own.

Siyani Chambers, G, So. (Harvard)- 11.4 ppg, 4.7 apg, 2.5 rpg, 41.2% 3-pt on 70 3-pt attempts. Dropped 21 points on UCONN last week while going 5-7 from three. Drew praise from Shabazz Napier.

Jonah Travis, PF, Jr. (Harvard)- 6.3 ppg, 4.3 rpg on a team who would get in with an at-large bid should the field be selected today.

Jordair Jett, PG, Sr. (St. Louis)- 12.3 ppg, 4.7 apg, 4.0 rpg, while putting up big numbers as of late for the Atlantic 10 leading Saint Louis Billikens. They should be set once again for a favorable seed in the big dance.

Ross Travis, PF, Jr. (Penn State)- 10.7 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 1.1 apg. A bit undersized, but would probably be the starting PF for the Gophers were he on the roster.

Graham Woodward, G, Fr. (Penn St)- 2.4 ppg, 1 rpg, 37% 3-pt on 27 3-pt attempts. Scored 12 points total in last 2 B1G games in a bigger role for the Nittany Lions.

Zach Lofton, G, So. (Illinois State)- 11.6 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 2.1 apg in his first year with the Red Birds in a decent MVC.

Reggie Lynch, C, Fr. (Illinois State)- 7.5 ppg, 4.3 rpg, and 2.5 bpg (leads the MVC) as a freshman. His team is third in the MVC, and could end up in the NIT. He has great upside, and COULD be transfer candidate should the Gophers strike out on centers in the next few years.

Marcus Marshall, G, So. (Missouri St)- 14.3 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 2.1 apg, 40% 3-pt on 53 3-pt attempts for a bubble NCAA tournament team out of the MVC. Led the team with 15 points and 3 assists in a what should of been an upset of the #5 Wichita State Shockers a week or so ago. He also could be a transfer candidate (and a good one) even should we land Jarvis Johnson. Out for the season with an ACL injury.

Joey King, F, So. (Minnesota)- 6.4 ppg, 2.3 rpg for the Gophers as he has cooled considerably after a nice start to the season. Has some adjustments to make to get more used to the B1G style of play. Has looked good against Michigan State, Syracuse, and Lehigh, but bad in others. We'll see where the rest of the season is headed for Joey.

Kevin Noreen, PF, Jr. (W. Virginia)- 2.9 rpg, 2.2 ppg as a backup post for the Mountaineers. Grabbed 7 rebounds on Saturday against K-State.

Kyle Washington, F, Fr. (NC State)- 3.9 ppg, 3.4 rpg for a likely NIT-bound pack of Wolves. Is gaining a big role as the season goes along, and had 8 points/5 rebounds vs Duke, and 6 points/10 rebounds in a win over Maryland (remind me again why they get to join the B1G?). Was #6 on SportsCenter's Top 10 Plays today with his dunk from last night.

Dyami Starks, G, Jr. (Bryant)- 19.7 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.7 apg, 38% 3-pt on 155 3-pt attempts on a team who is 2nd place in the Northeast conference behind Robert Morris and will contend for an automatic bid. Putting up staggering numbers this year, while GOING OFF against Gonzaga for 35 points, and scoring 16 points against Ohio State.

Marvin Singleton, F, Jr. (UNI)- 2.0 ppg, 2.4 rpg. Played alot vs Wichita State.

Alec Brown, C, Sr. (Green Bay)- 17.0 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 44% 3-pt on 55 attempts. Has scored 20+ points in 4/5 conference games, and in the other, had 19 pts. This team is an overwhelming favorite to win the Horizon League and make the Tournament.

Nate Kratch, F, Fr. (Santa Clara)- 3.6 ppg, 3.0 rpg. 7 points/4 reb vs BYU on Saturday!

Marshall Bjorklund, F, Sr. (NDSU)- 14.8 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 1.3 apg. Making it hot in Fargo, and literally beat Notre Dame himself with 26 points. Has a solid chance of making the NCAA Tournament as an automatic bid, and possibly even as a at-large should they lose only lose 0/1 games the remaining portion of the regular season.

Mike Felt, G, Sr. (NDSU)- 8.8 ppg, 1.5 apg, 39% 3-pt on 88 3-pt attempts this season. Had 15 points vs Southern Miss and Santa Clara, and 8 pts vs Ohio State.

Jordan Aaberg, PF, Sr. (NDSU)- 3.1 ppg, 1.8 rpg for the Bison.

Mike Rostampour, PF, Jr. (UNO)- 7.1 ppg, 5.9 rpg. Gave the gophers a run for their money earlier this year.

Marcus Tyus, G, So. (UNO)- 9.3 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 37% 3-pt on 60 3-pt attempts. Also got to see him in action at Williams earlier in the year.

Anders Broman, G, Fr. (SDSU)- 4.4 ppg, 1.3 apg, 33% 3-pt on a team who could get an at-large by winning their conference tournament.

CJ Neumann, F, So. (Wofford)- 3.7 ppg, 3.1 rpg. Had a nice homecoming vs Minnesota. His brother is tearing it up right now.

Zach Stahl, G/F, So. (Northeastern)- 7.0 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 1.0 apg for Northeastern, who made the NIT tournament last year. Stahl posted a double-double his last time out.

Raijon Kelly, G, Jr. (Samford)- 9.3 ppg, 3.0 apg, 2.0 rpg. Having a down year this season after putting up big time numbers last year (14.1 ppg, 4.7 apg, 2.3 rpg, 40% 3-pt).

Kyle Noreen, G/F, Jr. (Radford)- 4.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg. 22 points total his last 2 games. Has chance to win the Big South Tournament and make the NCAAs.

Trevor Gruis, C, Sr. (S. Dakota)- 12.6 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.6 apg, 1.2 bpg on a team who is a strong contender to win their conference tournament and reach the big dance.

Tyler Flack, F, So. (S. Dakota)- 7.4 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 1.5 bpg also on the Summit-League leading Coyotes.

Eric Robertson, F, So. (S. Dakota)- 3.1 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 1.0 apg with a chance for a growing role.

Aaron Anderson, G, Sr. (UND)- 10.7 ppg, 2.3 apg, 2.0 rpg, 43% 3-pt on 51 3-pt attempts this year. Scored 18 points on Saturday.

Alonzo Traylor, F, Sr. (UND)- 5.6 ppg, 2.8 rpg in a step back from last season.

Quinton Hooker, G, Fr. (UND)- 4.7 ppg, 2.2 apg, 2.1 rpg in his freshman campaign.

Chad Calcaterra, F/C, Jr. (UND)- 3.1 ppg, 2.5 rpg after transferring from Colorado State.

*Minnesota sure has some talent! :)

Interesting post. Don't recognize a lot of those names. Thanks

No problem. Yep, it really shows how many low-d1 guys come out of Minnesota that can make impacts on their team in college. I hope of few of those low-d1 teams can win their conference tournaments and make it to the NCAAs to showcase a little bit of the Minnesota talent that people wouldn't otherwise see!

Excellent post. Very interesting

Great list. Thanks for posting!

Still dumbfounded we didn't go after Ross Travis harder knowing we were going to go over the forward-position waterfall after last year (and we didn't even know Mbakwe was going to be granted a ninth year of eligibility at the time). He was a known commodity that was talked about here. He would have at least represented depth.

Travis Rollo, F, soph (Army, Mayer Lutheran) 1.3 ppg, 1.1 rpg, FG% .471, . Playing more recently on 20 plus player team.

This is a nice post, thanks for doing the research.

You forgot Jake White, plays for #5Wichita State (Joe Coleman)

Some thoughts....

Zeirden/crieghton- played a lot in that upset over #4 Villanova and he looked good....

Siyani/Harvard- is playing very well and I think he will go down as 1 of Harvards best PG's ever...

Ross Travis-/Penn State-I too thought the Gophers should have went after him harder, he has length, strength, ball-handling, and is a decent shooter. I pictured him playing the wing position more, like at Chaska High School.

Kevin Noreen/WV- Its amazing how a player can average 30pts a game in high school be named MN Mr.Basketball and those skills dont translate to the next level. Hopefully he becomes more of contributor or transfers to a school that could use him.

Zach Lofton/Illinois State- Been having a up and down 1st year, but is looking good overall and has had some impressive outings as of late.
the RedBirds are considered the least experienced team in the country.
No seniors, 3 freshman, 5 juco transfers, and 2 second year players. But they are 3rd in the MVC and play #5 Wichita State wednesday.

Reggie Lynch/Illinois State- Also a RedBird Lynch has been surprisingly good his freshman year and has established himself as ISU's best big man. He is still very raw but has a lot of potential. Barring injury he has a legitimate chance to break ISU's shot blocking records, after leading MN in blocks for 2 years.

Marcus Marshall/Missouri State- Has a torn MCL or ACL i forget which one and he done for the season.

Marvin Singleton/Northern Iowa- I'm a big fan, he is an undersized PF. I always said if he was 2 inches taller he'd be a Gopher. Anyways I hope he finds his footing and carves out a niche for the Panthers, if not maybe he should transfer because I think his skills should be utilized. He is strong and a beast down low.

Kyle Washington/NC State
- Has gained some weight since I last saw him play, looks to be geting big minutes for the WolfPack. Hopefully that will translate into big numbers.

Dont have much to say about the rest, I'm a fan of Rajon Kelly hope he bounces back. Anders Broman was scoring machine in high school, it may take him a year or 2 in order to become a major contributor.

This is a nice post, thanks for doing the research.

You forgot Jake White, plays for #5Wichita State (Joe Coleman)

He transferred to Nebraska-Omaha, I believe. Odd that he would leave right after playing in the Final Four.

Forgot Dyami Starks, Redshirt Junior at Bryant University from Duluth, MN, he's averaging 19.7 PPG, 3.5 RPG, 1.7 APG, 40.4 FG%, 38.1 3PT%, and 85.7 FT%. Bryant is 11-8, and 3-1 in the NEC.

He transferred to Nebraska-Omaha, I believe. Odd that he would leave right after playing in the Final Four.

Not getting minutes will make a player do that.
I was surprised because it seemed he was heralded more than his team mate Ross Travis out of high school.

I dont know what the 2 players respective numbers were, but judging from the eye test I thought Travis was obviously better and had the body and skill set to succeed at the next level.

Nebraska-Omaha is doing reasonably well I believe. I hope White and the rest of Minnesota native have great careers.

Great job Gameday!!!!! I was actually planning on putting together a similar list. Great minds think alike. I appreciate all the hard work you put into it. A couple of extra names would include Hopkins' Zach Stahl 7.0 points, 3.6 rebounds and 0.9 assists at Northeastern. Winona's Alec Brown 17.0 points, 6.3 rebounds and 0.8 assists at Green Bay. St. Cloud Apollo's Simon Krych 2.9 points, 2.3 rebounds and 0.2 assists at Nebraska-Omaha. Minnetonka's Cole Stefan 2.7 points, 1.1 rebounds and 0.5 assists at North Dakota. Austin's Joe Aase 1.1 points, 1.3 rebounds and 0.2 assists at Davidson. Eastview's Ben Oberfeld 0.0 points, 0.3 rebounds and 0.0 assists at Bucknell. Hawley's Devon Pekas 0.3 points, 0.2 rebounds and 0.0 assits as Liberty. St,. Cloud Cathedral Conor Voss 0.0 points, 0.5 rebounds and 0.0 assists at Columbia.

Good work, Jordair Jett is also having a big year for a good st louis team and just scored his 1000 career point

Season Averages
SEASON TEAM MIN(29.8 ) FGM-FGA(4.2-8.9) FG%(.473) 3PM-3PA(.3-1.2) 3P%(.261) FTM-FTA(3.5-5.6) FT%(.632) REB(3.9) AST(4.7) BLK(.5) STL(1.4) PF(1.7) TO(2.4) PTS(12.3)

Before his injury in late December, MACCRAY graduate Seth Hinrichs was averaging 20.2 ppg (53% FG, 47% 3FG) and 5.7 rpg as a junior for Lafayette. The Leopards are 0-8 since his injury

Great job Gameday!!!!! I was actually planning on putting together a similar list. Great minds think alike. I appreciate all the hard work you put into it. A couple of extra names would include Hopkins' Zach Stahl 7.0 points, 3.6 rebounds and 0.9 assists at Northeastern. Winona's Alec Brown 17.0 points, 6.3 rebounds and 0.8 assists at Green Bay. St. Cloud Apollo's Simon Krych 2.9 points, 2.3 rebounds and 0.2 assists at Nebraska-Omaha. Minnetonka's Cole Stefan 2.7 points, 1.1 rebounds and 0.5 assists at North Dakota. Austin's Joe Aase 1.1 points, 1.3 rebounds and 0.2 assists at Davidson. Eastview's Ben Oberfeld 0.0 points, 0.3 rebounds and 0.0 assists at Bucknell. Hawley's Devon Pekas 0.3 points, 0.2 rebounds and 0.0 assits as Liberty. St,. Cloud Cathedral Conor Voss 0.0 points, 0.5 rebounds and 0.0 assists at Columbia.

Thanks Chris, sorry for taking a similar idea! I'll add some of these names to the list.

The two biggest misses for the Gophers on all of these lists are Bjorklund and Brown. The former was clearly the best player in the '10 class here in the state, he always plays hard, plays smart and is a great kid. He would have been a three year starter for us and Tubby should have known better. He would have averaged 10 and 6 for his career here and played good D down at the 4 along with it. Brown, he's blossomed since he's gotten to UWGB and he grew like a foot his last two years in HS so he was a sleeper but he's now being projected as a potential first round draft pick at 7'1. We can't hold this one against Tubby as much, but for some of real marginal B1G players he put on our squad the past couple of years he was here; in contrast to Brown who has limitations but is a skilled 5.

Post of the day!!!!

I appreciate it! By my count, we have 35 Minnesotans making impacts on D1 teams this season, and others (transfers, redshirts, benchplayers) waiting their turn. I have a suspicion we will see many of these guys in the NCAA tournament, and I can't wait to watch them.

Nice job, a bit of work went into this post.

Thank you! It's nice to know which teams and players I should watch out for and see them try to make their runs into the NCAA/NIT.

Thumbs up! That first five minutes from Wragge last night was incredible. It was like watching Hollywood Robinson go off that one night in Cleveland for the Wolves.

I apologize, but I found a few other players that slipped the cracks. It is amazing how you sometimes forget about some of these kids.

Tartan's Joel Alwich 3.7 points, 2/7 rebounds and 0.2 assists at Cal Poly
Waconia’s Shelby Moats 1.1 points, 1.5 rebounds and 0.2 assists at Vanderbilt
Minnesota Transitions Kyle Noreen 3.9 points, 3.5 rebounds and 1.6 assists at Radford
Apple Valley’s Tom Schalk 0.0 points, 0.9 rebounds and 0.1 assists for William & Mary

The following are players that are sitting out this season as redshirts or transfers

Jake White Nebraska-Omaha
Joe Coleman St. Mary’s
Riley Dearring Wisconsin
Estan Tyler North Dakota
Logan Doule SDSU
Brandon Brekke UND (might be redshirting)

Chris Monter

The two biggest misses for the Gophers on all of these lists are Bjorklund and Brown. The former was clearly the best player in the '10 class here in the state, he always plays hard, plays smart and is a great kid. He would have been a three year starter for us and Tubby should have known better. He would have averaged 10 and 6 for his career here and played good D down at the 4 along with it. Brown, he's blossomed since he's gotten to UWGB and he grew like a foot his last two years in HS so he was a sleeper but he's now being projected as a potential first round draft pick at 7'1. We can't hold this one against Tubby as much, but for some of real marginal B1G players he put on our squad the past couple of years he was here; in contrast to Brown who has limitations but is a skilled 5.

Bjorklund is having an outstanding season. The only knock you would have on him is his rebounding numbers 4.4 boards per game, which is fourth on the Bison. The Gophers had junior Trevor Mbakwe and sophomore Rodney Williams on the roster in 2010-11, which would have been Bjorklund's freshman year. Bjorklund would look gone in Maroon and Gold this season, but I don't think that he would have started the past three years. I think he made the right pick to go to NDSU, where he was able to get significant playing immediately.

Alec Brown is another big man who looks like a big whiff for the Gophers. However, at the time they had juniors Colton Iverson and Ralph Sampson III and incoming freshman Elliott Eliason and Mo Walker. Brown signed late with Green Bay.

The school that really blew with Brown was Colorado. Brown was to visit the then-Big 12 school school on a Saturday. However, Colorado called to cancel his trip when Arrowhead, Wisconsin big man Ben Mills decided to commit the day before. Mills played in just 136 minutes his first three years at Colorado and has played in just 55 minutes this season. He is averaging a career-high 1.7 points and is adding 1.2 rebounds per game. I'm sure the Buffaloes' coaching staff would love to have Brown now.

It is hard to look at that 2010-11 team and not wonder "What if." They started the season 13-1, but finished just 17-14 after Devoe Joseph transferred to Oregon at midseason and Al Nolen was injured. They also were without Royce White and Justin Cobbs, who had signed in 2009, but had left the program.

Here is the 201-11 roster.
13 Ahanmisi, Maverick G 6-2 175 Fr. Santa Clarita, Calif. (Stoneridge Prep)
23 Armelin, Chip G 6-3 186 Fr. Sulphur, La. (Sulphur)
4 Dawson, Dominique F 6-7 240 So. Minneapolis, Minn. (Minneapolis Southwest)
55 Eliason, Elliott C 6-11 242 Fr. Chadron, Neb. (Chadron)
22 Halvorsen, Chris F 6-8 190 So. St. Paul, Minn. (Henry Sibley)
24 Hoffarber, Blake G 6-4 200 Sr. Minnetonka, Minn. (Hopkins)
20 Hollins, Austin G 6-4 180 Fr. Germantown, Tenn. (Germantown)
45 Iverson, Colton F/C 6-10 258 Jr. Yankton, S.D. (Yankton)
32 Mbakwe, Trevor F 6-8 240 RJr. St. Paul, Minn. (Miami Dade College) (St. Bernard's )
0 Nolen, Al G 6-1 188 Sr. Minneapolis, Minn. (Minneapolis Henry)
10 Osenieks, Oto F 6-8 205 Fr. Riga, Latvia (Brehm Prep)
50 Sampson III, Ralph F/C 6-11 241 Jr. Duluth, Ga. (Northview)
15 Walker, Maurice F 6-10 289 Fr. Scarborough, Ontario (Brewster Academy)
33 Williams, Rodney F 6-7 200 So. Minneapolis, Minn. (Robbinsdale Cooper)

Chris Monter

Did Johnny Woodard from Duluth matriculate anywhere to play D-1 ball? How about that center from Duluth, he was attending an alternative school, got suspended for smoking a cigarette...is he a senior or did he graduate?

Did Johnny Woodard from Duluth matriculate anywhere to play D-1 ball? How about that center from Duluth, he was attending an alternative school, got suspended for smoking a cigarette...is he a senior or did he graduate?

At the start of the 2012-2013 school year Johnny Woodward was at D-1 JUCO San Jacinto in Houston, TX, but something happened and he was no longer enrolled in school by the time the bball season started.
The team had a good season and developed 5 players that went D-1 schools after JUCO, it would have been nice to see how he fit in that group.

I haven't heard about his whereabouts since, I hope he is doing well.

googled Akolda Manyang

It appears Akolda is a 7' freshmen for Indian Hills CC. No idea his stats but he did score a season high 27 points recently.

http://www.indianhillsathletics.com/article/811.php

I couldn't find anything recent on Woodard except that he saw a Hawkeye game recently as a possible prospect, so assume he is in JC somewhere. I believe it is the Duluth East Johnny Woodard, there are a few athletes with that name.

It appears Akolda is a 7' freshmen for Indian Hills CC. No idea his stats but he did score a season high 27 points recently.

http://www.indianhillsathletics.com/article/811.php

I couldn't find anything recent on Woodard except that he saw a Hawkeye game recently as a possible prospect, so assume he is in JC somewhere. I believe it is the Duluth East Johnny Woodard, there are a few athletes with that name.

Johnny Woodard is at North Dakota School of Science. I recently watched him play at Anoka-Ramsey CC and interviewed him. Look for an upcoming story at www.gopherhole.com.

Chris Monter

Top Bottom