GAME #20: Gophers (14-5, 3-3) v. #8/9 Wisconsin (16-2, 3-2) [BTN, 1/22, 8:00PM]

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
Obviously a big one. Going 2-2 over this 4 game gauntlet would be huge. It's still relatively early, but if we win this one, I feel like we'll end up in the dance.

4 games following this one: @Neb, NW, @Pur, IU. If we win Wednesday, we'd have a legit shot to get to 8-3.

Bo on the match up:

Minnesota has strong quick guards that will make you play and our defense has a lot to learn, but consistent most of the time.

Obviously a big one. Going 2-2 over this 4 game gauntlet would be huge. It's still relatively early, but if we win this one, I feel like we'll end up in the dance.

4 games following this one: @Neb, NW, @Pur, IU. If we win Wednesday, we'd have a legit shot to get to 8-3.

The following 4 games will really tell the story. Pretty much everyone considers Wis an upper tier team this year...yes an upset is possible. How well be handle the teams like neb, nw, pur, iu and psu is what will determine the fate of this year's team.

Seth Davis:

Wisconsin at Minnesota, Wednesday, 9 p.m., Big Ten Network
Wisconsin might not be quite at desperation time, but it is definitely in a rut. Williams Arena is not a great place to get back on track, but I'll take my chances going with Bo Ryan backed against a wall.
Wisconsin 66, Minnesota 60

We need the student section, aka The Barnyard, to make THE BARN intolerable for Wisky and send new chills up and down Coach Pitino's spine as he can still find out what Williams Arena is all about... See 1982 vs Ohio State for a Big Ten Title. Absolutely astoundingly electric atmosphere. I was there with my then 14 year old son, and we were both damned near electrocuted.

We still talk about that game to this day, and he is now 46, and an avid Gopher Fan. (btw, if he wasn't he knows I would kick the crap out of him.)

The real question for Wednesday

Will there be a large Grinch Head in the stands?

We need the student section, aka The Barnyard, to make THE BARN intolerable for Wisky and send new chills up and down Coach Pitino's spine as he can still find out what Williams Arena is all about... See 1982 vs Ohio State for a Big Ten Title. Absolutely astoundingly electric atmosphere. I was there with my then 14 year old son, and we were both damned near electrocuted.

We still talk about that game to this day, and he is now 46, and an avid Gopher Fan. (btw, if he wasn't he knows I would kick the crap out of him.)

Was that before he lost his wallet?

This will be a fun one. I expect the barn to be rocking and the game to be close.

I haven't watched Wisconsin play at all this year as I always try to limit my intake of Bo...what are their strengths and weaknesses?

I haven't watched Wisconsin play at all this year as I always try to limit my intake of Bo...what are their strengths and weaknesses?

Much, much, much more dangerous offensively, with all 5 starters (+ Hayes) legitimate threats to score. This isn't the same ole' plodding Badger offense.

Much, much, much worse defensively, they can't guard a chair. Mathieu's quickness & penetration should give the Badgers major headaches. If he plays well, the Gophers will win.

Wisconsin is terrible at defending the paint and keeping guards from penetrating. Mathieu should have a solid game if he can stay out of foul trouble. Our perimeter defense will have to be strong because everyone on Wisconsin's team can light it up behind the ark.

Badgers live and die on the jump shot. Defensive pressure and switching on screens will be huge. Defensively, as pointed out, the Badgers weakness is the dribble drive. With their 7 footer roaming the perimeter, we should be able to get in the paint as the past two Badger losses proved. Their guards (particularily Brust) are very good rebounders. We need to play hungry and with a purpose. The Badgers are they type of team if you take a play off, they will make you pay.

It was either Stephen Bardo or Tim Doyle who said teams are starting to figure out that the key to beating Wisconsin is through dribble drives in the half-court set. There's nobody on Wisconsin quick enough to stop Mathieu from doing that. The Hollinses should be able to attack that too.

The following 4 games will really tell the story. Pretty much everyone considers Wis an upper tier team this year...yes an upset is possible. How well be handle the teams like neb, nw, pur, iu and psu is what will determine the fate of this year's team.

Agreed. Getting the big upset would be awesome, but getting big wins is something we did under Tubby too. What Pitino needs to do to separate himself is get the same big wins that Tubby did, and avoid the meltdowns against teams in the bottom third of the conference.

The real question is: How much of the game will be missed because the BTN won't use it's alternate channels? My guess is 5-6 minutes, which is totally unacceptable.

If we can manage to sweep the bottom tier of the Big Ten (NW/Neb/PSU/Pur) we should be in really good shape heading into Selection Sunday. IU/Illinois/tOSU have already lost a game to those teams and they'll likely be among the teams we are competing with to get one of the final B1G at large bids.

The real question is: How much of the game will be missed because the BTN won't use it's alternate channels? My guess is 5-6 minutes, which is totally unacceptable.

This has been a beef of mine all year, and can be largely attributed to the referees consistently calling 40-50 fouls per game.

True - but then the BTN should show that they care about fans and make adjustments. Maybe delay the 8pm start to 8:15? Or, use the alternate channels, like ESPN does.

True - but then the BTN should show that they care about fans and make adjustments. Maybe delay the 8pm start to 8:15? Or, use the alternate channels, like ESPN does.

Btn2go usually plays live.

All I know is, we could really use a win tomorrow. The Ohio State win is not a highlight on a tournament resume. It was still an important win, but we need wins against good teams. Then again, if we win tomorrow, what does that say about Wisconsin as that will put them on a three-game skid?

All I know is, we could really use a win tomorrow. The Ohio State win is not a highlight on a tournament resume. It was still an important win, but we need wins against good teams. Then again, if we win tomorrow, what does that say about Wisconsin as that will put them on a three-game skid?

I think Ohio State finishes around 9-9 or 10-8 in the conference so it won't be a great win. I'm pretty confident in saying Wisconsin will end up near the top of the conference when it's all said and done, just like they always do under Bo Ryan. Tomorrow night would be a big win.

I think Ohio State finishes around 9-9 or 10-8 in the conference so it won't be a great win. I'm pretty confident in saying Wisconsin will end up near the top of the conference when it's all said and done, just like they always do under Bo Ryan. Tomorrow night would be a big win.

If OSU finishes 10-8, they'll most likely still be a top 25 RPI team. That's a great resume win, but there is nothing more I enjoy then beating Wisconsin who will also be a top 25 team.

Is one of Pomeroy's games to watch this week:

"Wisconsin at Minnesota (Wednesday, Big Ten Network, 9:00) My question when Indiana students rushed the floor after beating Wisconsin wasn’t whether they should or shouldn’t have done it. It was: When was the last time somebody rushed the floor after beating Wisconsin? I dare Gopher fans to do it again should they pull off the win here. Let’s make Wisconsin the new Duke."

Btn2go usually plays live.

I'm not interested in either streaming a non-HD signal (BTN calls it HD quality - but it's not close) to a large screen (looks horrible) or watching on a laptop/pad etc.

I'm not interested in either streaming a non-HD signal (BTN calls it HD quality - but it's not close) to a large screen (looks horrible) or watching on a laptop/pad etc.

OK. Then miss the first 10 minutes of the game, but it's available to anyone with a computer. It's pretty handy to be able to watch anywhere and watch replays immediately.

Top Bottom