It's becoming very clear

Reaction score
That the current team is more than just competitive with the best teams in the conference. I think it's a matter of simply being organized, particularly on defense. Makes one wonder what the hell Tubby and his staff were doing.

That the current team is more than just competitive with the best teams in the conference. I think it's a matter of simply being organized, particularly on defense. Makes one wonder what the hell Tubby and his staff were doing.

The problem wasn't good teams it was bad teams.

With Tubby there was no rhyme or reason on either end of the floor. I also think we're much better off without Rodney Williams and Mbakwe.

With Tubby there was no rhyme or reason on either end of the floor. I also think we're much better off without Rodney Williams and Mbakwe.

Haha, what?

Those two guys would have thrived in Pitino's system, especially Williams. Either way, there's no way we're better off without either of those guys, regardless of the system.

Your first post of the thread had me questioning your intent, now I know exactly what you are.... Someone I never have to read here again...

Team is much more organized defensively. Williams was a train wreck on that end. Offense often got stuck with Mbakwe. Much more flow this year.

Team is much more organized defensively. Williams was a train wreck on that end. Offense often got stuck with Mbakwe. Much more flow this year.

Is that the players, or is that the coaching though? All I know is in particular with Mbakwe, he'd be absolutely critical for this team, considering we have NO PFs on this team at all. No chance we're better off without him.

Yeah. That's the coach's fault, not the player's.

Silly. Offense on the other hand is night and day. Much better schemes and confidence.

The problem wasn't good teams it was bad teams.

Agreed the Tubby regimed was doomed by five consecutive losses at Northwestern, a losing record at Happy Valley, dropping that game at Nebraska last year, two loses to IU when they were at rock bottom. Tubby's teams were usually pretty competitive against top competition.

Offense was very predictable last year and easy to scout.
Williams was a major liability on defense.
I agree coaching was a major factor, but not having those two has allowed for more offensive sets and defensive schemes, which has created better flow on both ends.
Just my thoughts. It's nothing personal.

If you can't see Mbakwe and Rodney in this offense your eyes aren't open....

Offense was very predictable last year and easy to scout.
Williams was a major liability on defense.
I agree coaching was a major factor, but not having those two has allowed for more offensive sets and defensive schemes, which has created better flow on both ends.
Just my thoughts. It's nothing personal.

So you're saying we are much better on the defensive side with guys like Oto and King?

this team is not a very good defensive club......Pitino has been worried on this all year. Smith, Otto, Joey, are not great defenders. Mathew, Dre and Elliot are average at best. Austin is a good defender but not elite.

Today aside, I think it's better team overall on defense. Not perfect by any means,

My question wasn't based on today. Again, you're saying that you would rather have Oto and King on defense than Mbakwe and Williams?

The style all around is so different this year. The pressure defense and the type of zone we are playing is different than last year. This system (offense and defense) is perfect for athletic big guys. I just don't know how anyone could say those two wouldn't have excelled in this system.

Sorry, what's clear is that we'd be so much better off with Foster, Ellis, Coleman and the ball line defense instead of Mathieu, Smith, King and Pitino. :rolleyes:

My question wasn't based on today. Again, you're saying that you would rather have Oto and King on defense than Mbakwe and Williams?

The style all around is so different this year. The pressure defense and the type of zone we are playing is different than last year. This system (offense and defense) is perfect for athletic big guys. I just don't know how anyone could say those two wouldn't have excelled in this system.

You're giving this guy way more attention than he obviously deserves... You cannot win an argument with logic when it started because of an obvious lack of it.

You're giving this guy way more attention than he obviously deserves... You cannot win an argument with logic when it started because of an obvious lack of it.
I'm sorry I got under your skin. I was merely stating my opinion based on observations. I should have realized it's not permissible to do that here.

I'm sorry I got under your skin. I was merely stating my opinion based on observations. I should have realized it's not permissible to do that here.

You are most certainly not under my skin. Your opinions are welcome, however, I find this one lacking logic and you really haven't offered much to persuade me otherwise.

That's my opinion.

Hey Reuben....don't take it too personally. Winasota has a 1000 post rule. Once you get there, then you are in! :)

this team is not a very good defensive club......Pitino has been worried on this all year. Smith, Otto, Joey, are not great defenders. Mathew, Dre and Elliot are average at best. Austin is a good defender but not elite.

Elliot is an average defender at best? he is arguably the best post defender in the conference

Can you imagine if this team had Mbakwe starting at the 4 instead of Oto? Yeah, that would sure suck. OMG.

Can you imagine if this team had Mbakwe starting at the 4 instead of Oto? Yeah, that would sure suck. OMG.

This.

The biggest problem on this team is defense and rebounding at the 4 position, and then also sometimes at the 5 position (whenever EE is out of the game).

Top Bottom