GAME #19: Gophers (14-4, 3-2) @ #14/16 Iowa (14-3, 3-1) [BTN, 1/19, Noon]

mcal24

Reaction score
I think Iowa may be overlooking us and not giving us the respect we deserve. Gophers are one or two possessions away from being 5-0 in B10 and a top 15 team.

With that being said, Gophers will need to push the tempo and score in transistion Sunday. I would want to avoid the half court offense as much as possible, because if Eliason/Walker isn't scoring down low we could easily see one of those 5+ minute scoring droughts again.

I think the game just comes down to shooting. We knock down some open shots, we pull off the upset. If Hollins x2 don't show up and we can't shoot, this could get ugly.

By the way, if you check out the rivals forum for Iowa, their fans are super confident for having one good win this year. Best win is Ohio State, with the next maybe being Xavier? The people on that board are saying it's an easy 10-20 point win for them and that Iowa should win 13+ Big Ten games. I'm still not sold they are conference title contenders.

http://iowa.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=940&fid=803&style=2

I agree. I'm not as high on Iowa's chances as others are. I think they're a top four B1G squad, but not a legit title contender (I fear that'll come down to Wiscy and MSU). However, I think they'll probably beat us Sunday because they're rested and we're not. Our worst games this year have come on short rest. On the other hand, I'd be surprised if they blew us out. We've kept games close all year against better teams than Iowa. I hope I get proven wrong. I'd rather beat Iowa than Wisconsin this year. Mostly because my boss who is an Iowa and ISU fan (depending on which one is better in football or basketball) is just OBNOXIOUS this season.

Iowa is a really good team. They'll be playing pretty late into March.

Spaz Templeton is a really good coach. He had us beat and beat us several times over the past few years. This time he holds a distinct talent advantage.

White, Uthoff, and Marble will give us fits with their size.

We match up much better with MSU, Wisconsin, and Ohio State than we do with Iowa IMO. It'll be a VERY tough game to pull out on Sunday, but whether we make it competitive most of the game will be a good indicator of where we stand.

Considering we played MSU without Payne, Michigan without McGary and Robinson for a half, and Ohio State at home, I'd say on paper this game at Iowa is our 2nd-toughest of the season on paper (after the Syracuse game). Maybe even toughest, considering our short rest and the venue.

It seems like Aaron White's been there 5 years, and yet he's not even a senior yet.

Considering we played MSU without Payne, Michigan without McGary and Robinson for a half, and Ohio State at home, I'd say on paper this game at Iowa is our 2nd-toughest of the season on paper (after the Syracuse game). Maybe even toughest, considering our short rest and the venue.

It seems like Aaron White's been there 5 years, and yet he's not even a senior yet.

How about Marble? I thought of commenting on his two score years in the BIG.

I agree. I'm not as high on Iowa's chances as others are. I think they're a top four B1G squad, but not a legit title contender (I fear that'll come down to Wiscy and MSU). However, I think they'll probably beat us Sunday because they're rested and we're not. Our worst games this year have come on short rest. On the other hand, I'd be surprised if they blew us out. We've kept games close all year against better teams than Iowa. I hope I get proven wrong. I'd rather beat Iowa than Wisconsin this year. Mostly because my boss who is an Iowa and ISU fan (depending on which one is better in football or basketball) is just OBNOXIOUS this season.

Didn't think someone could be an Iowa AND and ISU fan... Your boss must either be a real casual sports fan or a complete idiot because everyone I know is one or the other and HATES the other...

Everything else you said I completely agree with except I would rather beat both Iowa and Wisconsin this year ;)

We do owe them. I hope the returnees remind the new guys of that. The game in Carver last year may have been the worst of the season in a season of pretty bad games.

We match up much better with MSU, Wisconsin, and Ohio State than we do with Iowa IMO. It'll be a VERY tough game to pull out on Sunday, but whether we make it competitive most of the game will be a good indicator of where we stand.

I agree. I thought we matched up well with OSU, and they were at home. Iowa has a lot depth, their bigs have a unique combo that can run, stretch the floor, and attack the offensive glass. We've proven that we can hang with anyone, and the game isn't out of the question with our streaky shooting.

I agree. I thought we matched up well with OSU, and they were at home. Iowa has a lot depth, their bigs have a unique combo that can run, stretch the floor, and attack the offensive glass. We've proven that we can hang with anyone, and the game isn't out of the question with our streaky shooting.

We need a great 3 point shooting percentage to win at Iowa. The Hawkeyes can rebound very well.

Do we have to win this to be ranked after week? or is a close loss with our win against tOSU good enough to be ranked? obvouisly michigan will be ranked after this week, so that might mean we have to win to join them due to limited spots(only 25 spots I believe :rolleyes:)

Do we have to win this to be ranked after week? or is a close loss with our win against tOSU good enough to be ranked? obvouisly michigan will be ranked after this week, so that might mean we have to win to join them due to limited spots(only 25 spots I believe :rolleyes:)

I don't think we even had votes this week, so I would definitely think we need to win.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

I don't think we even had votes this week, so I would definitely think we need to win.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

If we win we will still not be ranked. OSU will tumble.

College kids after two days of rest - will be ready to go. Not a problem. Turnovers however could be a problem. Let's hope that Little Dre has another good game. Even though FT's don't matter, it will be a key to a win tomorrow. Why do we care (at this point) if we are ranked? It doesn't matter.

I'm targeting the Thursday game against Wisconsin as one we can seriously win and add to our resume with. Tomorrow I'm just going into the game with a sense of curiosity and gauge how we can compete. (like I did with MSU)

If we win we will still not be ranked. OSU will tumble.

I disagree with this. If we beat Iowa on the road we will be ranked. Not as high as Iowa at 14. But we will be ranked. If we lose, even if close we will not be ranked but may still get a vote or 2. We beat #11 (an overrated 11) OSU, took #5 Mich St to overtime on the road, *and if we beat #14 Iowa on the road that is a pretty good resume to be ranked....

I disagree with this. If we beat Iowa on the road we will be ranked. Not as high as Iowa at 14. But we will be ranked. If we lose, even if close we will not be ranked but may still get a vote or 2. We beat #11 (an overrated 11) OSU, took #5 Mich St to overtime on the road, *and if we beat #14 Iowa on the road that is a pretty good resume to be ranked....

There's only one way to find out.

Beat the Hawkeyes.

True. However, on paper FSU was a matchup nightmare for us and we managed to handle them and we actually played Cuse tough using a broken jaw'd King at power forward. If we play our game, we can give matchup problems right back. The key is shooting well and turnovers. (duh)

Defensive pressure and intensity is the key. I think Iowa can be forced inti quick, poor decisions offensively as was the case against Wisconsin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Gophers under Richard Pitino have looked overwhelmed once... vs Arkansas. They had less than one day to gameplan for Arkansas. I'm going to give a ton of credit to the coaching staff for the job of gameplanning they've done this season. I fully expect that with two full days to plan for Iowa that the Gophers will be competitive and in a position to win late in the second half. If the Gophers start hot, minimize the home court advantage and make the Hawkeyes play from behind we could be celebrating. We need Austin Hollins to play like Austin Hollins today... here we go!!

I don't care what the national rankings say or what the conference records are, I think Iowa's the best team in the league, at least so far. This stands as the toughest game on the schedule, and I just hope the Gophs can compete. Nobody should bash the team if they lose by double digits.

I don't care what the national rankings say or what the conference records are, I think Iowa's the best team in the league, at least so far. This stands as the toughest game on the schedule, and I just hope the Gophs can compete. Nobody should bash the team if they lose by double digits.

Agreed. Iowa is damn good. Not only do they have good size but they're also very skilled. We're 10 point underdogs for this game so vegas believes it will be just as tough as playing @MSU. We kept that game close because Payne was out and we shot the lights out the majority of the game, we'll need to do the same today to have a chance.

Who carries Gopher BB on radio? Is there an internet feed?

Top Bottom