Post game notes - Pitino praises Elliott, loves yelling at DeAndre, and meets Reusse

GopherLady

Reaction score
As always, these are not verbatim, just typing as they talk...so you can see the comments ASAP after that GREAT win against #11th ranked Ohio State.

Go Gophers!!!

Mo Walker:
This just shows that we're capable of playing with the best in the country.
(On playing well) It feels good, I always want to help the team
(On what chant just made everyone laugh in the shower) - I don't know, it's Oto, he doesn't speak English (joking).
He told us to cut down on turnovers, hold on to the ball, we knew they were going to strip us

Austin Hollins
It's really a team sport and we made winning plays as a team. Games that we lose, we don't play defense and turn over the ball. We need to continue getting stronger and better.*
We're both 2-2, we needed to take care of business at home
The crowd was huge, like at any venue in the big 10. They really gave us that boost we needed at the end of the game. I've always said we have great fans.

DeAndre Mathieu
Coach tells me to not be so passive
(On who's the most competitive player on the team) Me, without a doubt. I love the competition, it's what I wake up for. Knowing that I was going to guard Aaron Craft today, one of the best in the country.

Oto Osenieks
This is huge. We haven't executed in the end a s shows we can beat anybody
I was so hyped, I forgot...he told us to defend the 3.*

Elliott Eliason

That was very embarrassing (Iowa last year) . They are playing great bball. We can't get complacent after this win.
You need to play the game like it's the last one you're going to play that year.

Richard Pitino:
• Certainly a great win for us, I thought we played tremendous defense. Elliott Eliason impacted the game for us in so many ways. Great win, learn from the mistakes, and continue to get better.
• Elliott - this was a good game for him, he has gotten so much better, he deserves to be a captain.
• I thought they were such a great perimeter D team, that we'd have to go inside. When Mo came off the bench he came and did a lot of great things.
• DeAndrew Mathieu was great. I thought we finally found a way to win. We found a way to get the win without making too many mistakes down the stretch.
• He told me it was because I threw my jacket - I told him, I didn't throw it at you, maybe it's hot in here. I don't know, maybe I deserved it. *
• DeAndre got the wind knocked out of him, I thought he was tired. He told me he got the wind knocked out of him, and I told him he was too small. He's one of those guys you love to yell at. He's fun, he's hilarious.
• Who are we to overlook any opponents (on Nebraska and the stretch). We want to go 2-1, if we can do that, great. There's no easy opponents here.
• Elliott is rising to the occasion and playing with great confidence, confidence is so big in this game.
• Mo is getting better, it felt like he played longer than 6 minutes.
• (On playing Mo and Elliott together)Never, never. I'm going to do it some day just to surprise you guys.
• It sounds cliché, but we're focused on Iowa. In this league, you have to take it one game at a time, or you'll be miserable. We need to find a way to win at Iowa.
• The good thing is we showed up at Michigan State. We'll reference that. I'm glad they won't feel that added pressure going into Iowa.
• It's hard. Coach Donovan in Florida always told me, they've got to make shots because they want to see the ball go in. As much as we want to rely on in defense.
On meeting Patrick Reusse - I never met you. Finally, the legend.

That Matta:

• (On Elliott Eliason) I've liked him since the day he got here. The jump shot surprised me a little bit.
• This loss is a little more perplexing. The last few games we played some pretty good bball, tonight, we didn't play as solid. I'm not taking anything away from MN, they're a heck of a bball team. For whatever reason, we didn't have what we needed to win the basketball game. We need to look at reality as a team, and say "this is where we are." Reality. People don't like reality very often, that's what we really have to look at.

Appreciate the post game write up. Planned on staying up late just to read the players' and coaches' comments!

"On meeting Patrick Reusse - 'I never met you. Finally, the legend.' "

Absolutely hilarious, Coach. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Congrats on the big win! It was nice to see contributions from some of the unheralded players.

Man I love watching these gophers play! Night and day compared to watching Tubby. Win or lose, these Gophers are fun to watch. This is great for recruits that are watching, both for those interested in Ohio State and the Gophers. Hopefully we see some big 2015 recruits come into the barn and create a ruckus!

Thanks Nadine! We're up and wired tonight too! What great game and win!

You are all very welcome. Even doing post-game is like night and day from before - it's really fun this year. Even after a loss, you see how they're learning.

I love Pitino's humor on meeting Reusse.

I just love his humor in general, he's a funny guy. He also made some comment about how it was hot, that's why he threw his coat. Love when he talks about DeAndre too - you can tell his just loves the fire in Mathieu.

Congrats on the big win! It was nice to see contributions from some of the unheralded players.

Very class, thank you.

Pitino is cocky and humble at the same time, if that's possible. Love the comment about who are we to overlook an opponent. In reality, they've only had one embarrassing half of basketball, and that was the second half against Arkansas. He tries to keep the team humble and grounded at the same time as confident, just like the vibe he himself projects.

Pitino is cocky and humble at the same time, if that's possible. Love the comment about who are we to overlook an opponent. In reality, they've only had one embarrassing half of basketball, and that was the second half against Arkansas. He tries to keep the team humble and grounded at the same time as confident, just like the vibe he himself projects.

I absolutely love his style. Its almost scary how much I like this coach. I think he looks a lil goofy when he gets angry, and seems like he is spitting all over the court like Yosemite Sam when he is spitting mad. I think kids will really enjoy talking with him because of his sarcastic wit while being straight forward, good kids will respect that, premadonnas won't like being told the truth. Could help weeding out the trash.

original.0

ows_138397829650430.jpg

Not so fast! I thought Sid was the "Legend"!

Great game. The confidence level of the players is much, much better than under Tubbyball. And that showed right up to the end as the guys drained their FT's.

I absolutely love his style. Its almost scary how much I like this coach. I think he looks a lil goofy when he gets angry, and seems like he is spitting all over the court like Yosemite Sam when he is spitting mad. I think kids will really enjoy talking with him because of his sarcastic wit while being straight forward, good kids will respect that, premadonnas won't like being told the truth. Could help weeding out the trash.

Agree on the bold. The kind of kids who can't deal with getting the blunt truth, aren't the kind of kids we need to build a team. I love the way Lil' Dre reacts when he gets yelled at. He seems to thrive on wanting to make up for his mistakes.

That was such a fun game. Let's take care of business against Iowa on Sunday.

Not so fast! I thought Sid was the "Legend"!

Great game. The confidence level of the players is much, much better than under Tubbyball. And that showed right up to the end as the guys drained their FT's.

I've heard so many of the media types mention the players hated playing for Tubby.

Remember when this board was filled with posters who said Elliot wasn't a B1G player and should transfer? :eek:

Agree on the bold. The kind of kids who can't deal with getting the blunt truth, aren't the kind of kids we need to build a team. I love the way Lil' Dre reacts when he gets yelled at. He seems to thrive on wanting to make up for his mistakes.

Interesting watching him. If somebody pisses him off, they can get the quick hook. McNeil lost the ball the first time on the court and was walking to the bench right away. Pitino got in his face and was making a gesture like, "hold on to the damn ball!" Not that long after, McNeil was back out there. King seems to experience this often. Funny when Pitino pulled him and simply pointed to the bench in disgust. Joey quickly sat and it looked like we were going with four guys. He had to jump back on the court so Oto could substitute. Don't know what the rule is, but Matta was watching. Pitino seems to have the personality to do the quick hooks and yet not hurt the confidence or lose the players.

I've always been a supporter of EE. He was a two time mr bball in Nebraska and big guys always take time to develop. Unless you are getting a 5 star center, you are probably going to have to be patient.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I've always been a supporter of EE. He was a two time mr bball in Nebraska and big guys always take time to develop. Unless you are getting a 5 star center, you are probably going to have to be patient.

It's why I wish we had a 5 on board or coming in next year to develop. EE and Mo will be seniors next year.

This is absolutely right.

I know we have a long ways to go before declaring Richard Pitino has arrived as a bona fide big time coach but you can tell even at this point he was ready for a power coference job.

I am really excited to see him get HIS type of players in here (i.e. Lil Dre and Malik). He could do something special here for sure.

EE just outplay a mcdonald's all american so bad that Ohio st went small. Don't ever listen to the posters who like nba jam like basketball with only the best athletes. Every team needs players who do the dirty work and only a few of us have the patience to see a developing player's potential while others just want to rip on them for not being a 5 star athlete.

It's why I wish we had a 5 on board or coming in next year to develop. EE and Mo will be seniors next year.

Agreed, Shanks would have been some nice insurance. Maybe Pitino will be able to close Elijah Thomas, then all would be right.

• He told me it was because I threw my jacket - I told him, I didn't throw it at you, maybe it's hot in here. I don't know, maybe I deserved it. *

This line made me laugh out loud.

Yeah, that cracked me up too - and the next line: "DeAndre got the wind knocked out of him, I thought he was tired. He told me he got the wind knocked out of him, and I told him he was too small. He's one of those guys you love to yell at. He's fun, he's hilarious."

Craft has always been good at aggressive on-the-ball defense, and he's allowed to hack and hand check, even with the new rules. He's not as good as some at moving his feet.

Top Bottom