The Arkansas loss doesn't look so bad.

So tell me how this works.

Kentucky is ranked #13.

Kentucky (12-4, 2-1) vs. Minnesota (13-4, 2-2)

Kentucky lost to MSU. Gophers lost to MSU.
Kentucky lost to Arkansas. Gophers lost to Arkansas.
Kentucky lost to Baylor. Gophers lost to Syracuse.
Kentucky lost to UNC. Gophers lost to Michigan.

Sure makes sense to me...

So tell me how this works.

Kentucky is ranked #13.

Kentucky (12-4, 2-1) vs. Minnesota (13-4, 2-2)

Kentucky lost to MSU. Gophers lost to MSU.
Kentucky lost to Arkansas. Gophers lost to Arkansas.
Kentucky lost to Baylor. Gophers lost to Syracuse.
Kentucky lost to UNC. Gophers lost to Michigan.

Sure makes sense to me...

I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you suggesting that an Arkansas (14-4) win over a quality opponent doesn't help our RPI?

I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you suggesting that an Arkansas (14-4) win over a quality opponent doesn't help our RPI?

Sorry, just trying to show how Kentucky is always ranked just because their name is Kentucky. We have just as good if not better resume as them.

Sorry, just trying to show how Kentucky is always ranked just because their name is Kentucky. We have just as good if not better resume as them.

They did beat Louisville, but the rest of their resume is not very impressive.

Good point, but I suspect that at NCAA selection time, the fact that Kentucky has the reputation it has will help our resume in light of the Arkansas win. It will help even more if Kentucky and Arkansas do well during the remainder of the season.

If anyone wants some good humor, go read Kentucky's rivals board right now. Tons of posts about how the refs were screwing Kentucky all night long, posters whining about how they might lose almost ten games this year, and doomsday predictions about likely losing *gasp!* in the sweet 16. :p

Ah, life's simple pleasures.

If anyone wants some good humor, go read Kentucky's rivals board right now. Tons of posts about how the refs were screwing Kentucky all night long, posters whining about how they might lose almost ten games this year, and doomsday predictions about likely losing *gasp!* in the sweet 16. :p

And here we are hoping we have less than ten B1G losses and sneak into the tourney... Their lives must suck

And here we are hoping we have less than ten B1G losses and sneak into the tourney... Their lives must suck

I wonder if that's what being a Gopher hockey fan is like.

I've been in Scotland now for a week and I'll be here until the end of May. I can't catch a lot of these games live, including the gophers. But, I just watched this game on replay. Kentucky is not as good as their ranking indicates, and Arkansas should be a ranked team. By just the eye test, I didn't look at the schedules, Arkansas is as good as Kentucky and could be a sleeper come March.

There WERE bad calls both ways. The Razorbacks did get some hometown calls, but Kentucky got some Kentucky calls. Officiating is bad all over.

I've been in Scotland now for a week and I'll be here until the end of May. I can't catch a lot of these games live, including the gophers. But, I just watched this game on replay. Kentucky is not as good as their ranking indicates, and Arkansas should be a ranked team. By just the eye test, I didn't look at the schedules, Arkansas is as good as Kentucky and could be a sleeper come March.

I think they would be ranked if it weren't for their 16 point loss to a bad Texas A&M team.

There was real discussion going on there before the season about going undefeated. Can't really blame them when they had 5 of the top 9 recruits in the nation this past year, and #25. They've got two 5-star guys coming off the bench.

Arkansas isn't bad. They're good. It was pretty evident when the Gophers played them, but people bashed Arkansas on past teams and not on the present team.

Arkansas isn't bad. They're good. It was pretty evident when the Gophers played them, but people bashed Arkansas on past teams and not on the present team.

I agree. It was either that they were playing great / over their heads in that preseason tourney or they were actually that good. Regardless of how the Gophers looked against them, they certainly showed some capability. Turns out they're a pretty good outfit.

I wonder if that's what being a Gopher hockey fan is like.

That's exactly what being a Gopher hockey fan is like. It is frustrating when we drop in the round of 16 in overtime to an eventual national champ. Not winning the conference this year would be a major disappointment. The back-to-back-to-back tourney misses a few years back felt like the apocalypse.

Having said that, I think Kentucky is getting too big for their britches too fast, coming off of a first round NIT exit season.

That's exactly what being a Gopher hockey fan is like. It is frustrating when we drop in the round of 16 in overtime to an eventual national champ. Not winning the conference this year would be a major disappointment. The back-to-back-to-back tourney misses a few years back felt like the apocalypse.

Having said that, I think Kentucky is getting too big for their britches too fast, coming off of a first round NIT exit season.
It should be far worse for the hockey fans to lose in the round of 16 or not make the tourney considering there are 300 fewer teams playing D-1 hockey.

There WERE bad calls both ways. The Razorbacks did get some hometown calls, but Kentucky got some Kentucky calls. Officiating is bad all over.

I agree that the bad officiating went both ways in that game. The refs were BRUTAL. I couldn't believe the number of free throws for each team. They would call a touch foul on a rebound attempt that made no difference in the play and then not call Arkansas for a foul when bumping the KY player over midcourt and causing a backcourt violation.

KY is very much an overrated team this year. They have talent but not as much as you might think, and they don't play together all that well. Kansas is the team with loads of young talent that looks like they can make a run in March this year.

KY is very much an overrated team this year. They have talent but not as much as you might think, and they don't play together all that well. Kansas is the team with loads of young talent that looks like they can make a run in March this year.

Agreed. When you recruit that level of talent (and this might actually be Calipari's most talented team) you need one of two things to be successful in a team game like college basketball: a point guard who can raise both his game and his teammates (John Wall) or a team where everyone understands their role and doesn't necessarily need shots to be happy (Teague, Kidd-Gilchrist, and Davis on the title team all fit this description). They definitely don't have the point guard, and at this point they don't have guys who understand their role on the team either outside of Cauley-Stein. They could still get there but at this point I doubt it. Sweet 16 might be their ceiling (poor Kentucky).

Agreed. When you recruit that level of talent (and this might actually be Calipari's most talented team) you need one of two things to be successful in a team game like college basketball: a point guard who can raise both his game and his teammates (John Wall) or a team where everyone understands their role and doesn't necessarily need shots to be happy (Teague, Kidd-Gilchrist, and Davis on the title team all fit this description). They definitely don't have the point guard, and at this point they don't have guys who understand their role on the team either outside of Cauley-Stein. They could still get there but at this point I doubt it. Sweet 16 might be their ceiling (poor Kentucky).

Great points. Those Harrison twins have been very overrated players up to this point.

With the way Louisville has been playing, the Gopher's win over FSU(whose ranking has risen considerably) is just as good of a win. Now with our win over OSU, UMN should rank better than Kentucky, but there are still games this weekend that UMn could lose and UK could win that might change that.

Also, Arkansas is ranked #26 in the Sagarin Rankings, and #41 in the Ken-Pom Rankings, so it's probably pretty safe to assume that their RPI ranking of #66 should improve, or at least remain in the Top 100. And since it is our worst loss right now, we are sitting pretty good as far as our tourney resume goes.

Top Bottom