According to the StarTribune our team is stupid

Awesome! :)

Thanks for posting this NateDawg. I wonder what Reusse thinks....

Do you think this will even make it in the Strib? On a related note, I see that Loon is now even badmouthing Brew on Myron's B-Ball blog. Odd's on how long until Wren joins in?

The Strib Gopher blog has been their sanctuary and home base for "Operation Bad Mouth Gopher Football" and "Operation Get Rid of Coach Brewster" for months.

The Strib Gopher blog has been their sanctuary and home base for "Operation Bad Mouth Gopher Football" and "Operation Get Rid of Coach Brewster" for months.

Don't forget "Operation Bring in More White Players". Used to think he was just a bitter, old Masonite...not a full blown racist.

I've thought about this a lot this year. With all the pressure on the kids and the programs to win, and with all the practices and team meetings, and recovery after games in the training rooms, when do these guys have time to crack the books? I get that there's lot of tutoring and stuff like that, but it would be interesting to know what a typical day for a player is like during the big ten season. Do these guys normally take just the minimum amount of classes?

Awesome! :)

Thanks for posting this NateDawg. I wonder what Reusse thinks....

He'll probably say that the grades were purchased, or they were all taking slacker classes, or something like that. :rolleyes:

What an awesome story--thanks for linking! It's so impressive that these young men were able to do that. Makes you proud to be a fan!

There is time. They need to schedule their time, but the time is there. They can also still get to bed at a reasonable hour. If they take care of their business, they can get it all done and done well. There is no excuse beyond apathy for not doing so. Trust me.

As for class load, the first semester will typically see the football players taking 12 credits (three-four full-time classes). This is so they can still do their work at a high level while completing all of their football obligations. They will then take more classes in the spring, maybe 15 credits, and will usually take a summer class or two to make sure they will still be able to take 12 credits in the fall (since 12 credits a semester will not allow a student to graduate in four years).

I am curious on the time-frame for this Big-Ten honor. The Gophers haven't completed fall semester yet so how could they give this award out at this time. I didn't see in the article
when the players earned the recognition. Aren't finals coming up in the next 2 weeks?

Nice to see how many key contributors are on this list!!!:)

They may have struggled down the stretch with the football side of things , but its really nice to see that Weber, Decker, Kuznia, Sherels, Hightower and the rest of the guys on this list are not only seeing playing time on the field, but are also taking their academics seriously off of it as well.

And on top of that, its a good sign for the program as a whole.

Keep up the good work fellas!!!

Reusse will make a comment about what are the classes these players are taking like he made about Mike Leach TT team this morning. Also he will say wait until Brewsters guys start counting toward the awards.

I am curious on the time-frame for this Big-Ten honor. The Gophers haven't completed fall semester yet so how could they give this award out at this time. I didn't see in the article when the players earned the recognition. Aren't finals coming up in the next 2 weeks?

Reading the qualifications, it doesn't confirm cumulative vs. the prior year but because it doesn't give a time period I'm assuming cumulative. The award is restricted to players that at a minimum in their second year of school because as you mentioned they haven't finshed the semester yet. Excellent logic. Someone on the StarTribune sight that likes to rip on Brewster asked why there were no '08 recruits on the list implying our recruits were failing. I'm glad some people are smart enough to figure out it isn't for the fall semester.

That's great news considering the fact that the football team didn't fared so well last year on the NCAA grade scoring system.

Regarding the Big Ten Academic Team, the article states, "[T]o earn this distinction, student-athletes must be letterwinners, be in at least their second year at the institution and carry a 3.0 grade-point average."

I take it "carry a 3.0 GPA" means cumulative. None of last year's recruits could earn the honor since they are not in the second year (I'd think the '08 spring enrollee's still need another semester to get out of the first year).

Positive Academic Story (Today's): One paragraph, inside back cover of the sports page.

Negative Academic Story (Freshmen ACT- BS story comparing Minnesota to schools that cherry-picked their reporting...holds story from July til Gray leaves): 31 paragraphs, front page of the sports sections

Tool=Dennis Bracken

Top Bottom